Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ok. The the Swedes were the first Europe settlers in Wilmington, not Philly. I was taught Delaware history and just conflated the two. I believe you, but I’m not the only person who has their history mixed up:

”The first European settlers on the site were Swedes, who established a community at the mouth of the Schuykill not later than 1643. England, however, established its control over the entire region, and in 1681, King Charles II made William Penn a grant of land that became Pennsylvania.”
https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2111.html
Watch the episode: A Lost World(1600-1680). Discusses the period before European arrival until right before Penn did. It's 29 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:41 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,539,875 times
I am absolutely horrible with history but I'll take a look. sounds interesting. lol, unfortunately my idea of history is Hamilton on broadway.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:09 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
i am absolutely horrible with history but i'll take a look. Sounds interesting. Lol, unfortunately my idea of history is hamilton on broadway.
lol

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I am absolutely horrible with history but I'll take a look. sounds interesting. lol, unfortunately my idea of history is Hamilton on broadway.
They're designed to help folks just like you grasp how remarkable the city's history and story is. They're not just for history nerds!

The fact that they have actors recreating various events makes it digestible and real.

I'm was a history major so all of them are like Christmas morning to me!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
lol
Yeah, Eliza's remark about Hamilton made me laugh too.

I actually like the attempt at making American history relevant to more people. The musical "1776" tried to do the same thing.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ok. The the Swedes were the first Europe settlers in Wilmington, not Philly. I was taught Delaware history and just conflated the two. I believe you, but I’m not the only person who has their history mixed up:

”The first European settlers on the site were Swedes, who established a community at the mouth of the Schuykill not later than 1643. England, however, established its control over the entire region, and in 1681, King Charles II made William Penn a grant of land that became Pennsylvania.”
https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2111.html
The Swedes & their Finnish slaves were the first European settlers in the Delaware Valley then the Dutch came in, followed by William Penn. Apparently, this video is referring to the period prior to the Swedes.

The name of the Schuylkill River is a tip off to Dutch presence. Kyll is a Platt Deutsche word for river.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Swedes & their Finnish slaves were the first European settlers in the Delaware Valley then the Dutch came in, followed by William Penn. Apparently, this video is referring to the period prior to the Swedes.

The name of the Schuylkill River is a tip off to Dutch presence. Kyll is a Platt Deutsche word for river.
Why the heck don't folks actually WATCH the blipping video? Lol It's 29 minutes long.

I'm not attacking anyone but it would make a lot more sense to see what this episode says about the period doncha think?
And it starts in 1600 before Europeans showed up.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why the heck don't folks actually WATCH the blipping video? Lol It's 29 minutes long.

I'm not attacking anyone but it would make a lot more sense to see what this episode says about the period doncha think?
And it starts in 1600 before Europeans showed up.
I'm not the only person who normally posts from a phone, therefore with a data limit.

Go ahead, Google New Sweden.

As for my comment about Kyll, one of my grandfathers was born in a tiny village that sits on the river named Kyll. They didn't speak high German. The dialect bears a resemblance to the Dutch language. When anglicized, kyll=kill.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not the only person who normally posts from a phone, therefore with a data limit.

Go ahead, Google New Sweden.

As for my comment about Kyll, one of my grandfathers was born in a tiny village that sits on the river named Kyll. They didn't speak high German. The dialect bears a resemblance to the Dutch language. When anglicized, kyll=kill.
Soundbound, no.... Lol

I'm going by what some actual scholars say what happened, okay. And, I said "some". You have to know by now( I know you know this) that so much of what appears via google is garbage

I started this thread with a lot of hope that folks would watch these. That's was all.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Soundbound, no.... Lol

I'm going by what some actual scholars say what happened, okay. And, I said "some". You have to know by now( I know you know this) that so much of what appears via google is garbage

I started this thread with a lot of hope that folks would watch these. That's was all.
If you don't want to Google New Sweden, that's certainly your prerogative. If you Google, you are using a search engine. I put minimal credence in Wikipedia, but googling is a verb. Google New Sweden & you'll get a website that names the Swedes & Finns who came & where they settled in the tri-state area. What you are talking about predates New Sweden. Both can be correct at the same time.

I didn't say that what you said is wrong, but what I've seen backs up what Pine & Vine was taught. There's also a reason for the old Swedish church. There were Swedes in the area, before the English. There were also some Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia