U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The South Jersey accent in certain areas can be more annoying than a thick South Philly accent. They do their wawas and say yo just like Philly people. Mostly jabronies with a few exceptions.
Accounting for ethnicity and socioeconomic status, the “South Jersey accent” is no different from the rest of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 AM
 
24 posts, read 9,044 times
Reputation: 26
The way the Delaware valley works is. It's a region that is essentially broken down into 3 metropolitan divisions. Philly, Jersey(metro Camden), and Delaware(metro Wilmington). While there is cultural overlap and the Delaware valley is a unified region, these metropolitan divisions function as metropolitan areas in thier own right. The philly's immediate Pa burbs function in a more integrated way with Philly proper due to a shared state and shared infrastructure, and have very little identity themselves outside of thier proximity to philly proper. A good example of this is in things like the movie "a Philadelphia story" or "Philadelphia" which highlights the mainline just west of Philly, as an area of Philadelphian wealth, though not in the city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bread1076 View Post
The way the Delaware valley works is. It's a region that is essentially broken down into 3 metropolitan divisions. Philly, Jersey(metro Camden), and Delaware(metro Wilmington). While there is cultural overlap and the Delaware valley is a unified region, these metropolitan divisions function as metropolitan areas in thier own right. The philly's immediate Pa burbs function in a more integrated way with Philly proper due to a shared state and shared infrastructure, and have very little identity themselves outside of thier proximity to philly proper. A good example of this is in things like the movie "a Philadelphia story" or "Philadelphia" which highlights the mainline just west of Philly, as an area of Philadelphian wealth, though not in the city proper.
Oops!

The bulk of the action in "The Philadelphia Story" (1940) indeed takes place on the Main Line (two words, capitalized).

But all of the action in "Philadelphia" (1993) takes place in the city proper. I used to walk past the building where Tom Hanks' character's apartment was located when I lived in Wash West and went down to the 9th Street Italian Market to do much of my grocery shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 AM
 
24 posts, read 9,044 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Oops!

The bulk of the action in "The Philadelphia Story" (1940) indeed takes place on the Main Line (two words, capitalized).

But all of the action in "Philadelphia" (1993) takes place in the city proper. I used to walk past the building where Tom Hanks' character's apartment was located when I lived in Wash West and went down to the 9th Street Italian Market to do much of my grocery shopping.
Except when they show Beckett's family home in lower mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bread1076 View Post
The way the Delaware valley works is. It's a region that is essentially broken down into 3 metropolitan divisions. Philly, Jersey(metro Camden), and Delaware(metro Wilmington). While there is cultural overlap and the Delaware valley is a unified region, these metropolitan divisions function as metropolitan areas in thier own right. The philly's immediate Pa burbs function in a more integrated way with Philly proper due to a shared state and shared infrastructure, and have very little identity themselves outside of thier proximity to philly proper. A good example of this is in things like the movie "a Philadelphia story" or "Philadelphia" which highlights the mainline just west of Philly, as an area of Philadelphian wealth, though not in the city proper.
Sharing the name in many instances, but the PA burbs could definitely and most certainly function as their own "region" moreso than Philadelphia.

Being in the same state, naturally Philadelphia and the PA burbs are more integrated with one another, but I think if any part of the region were to exist independently, it would be the PA burbs. South Jersey is almost entirely depended on Philadelphia, PA burbs are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sharing the name in many instances, but the PA burbs could definitely and most certainly function as their own "region" moreso than Philadelphia.

Being in the same state, naturally Philadelphia and the PA burbs are more integrated with one another, but I think if any part of the region were to exist independently, it would be the PA burbs. South Jersey is almost entirely depended on Philadelphia, PA burbs are not.
You know, you're right, but not in the way that you intend. The western suburbs were, for the most part, part of the Welsh Tract. Many of those settlers were Baptists.

South Jersey aka West Jersey was predominantly Quakers. The Lippincotts, the Strawbridges, & the Clothiers had very successful branches who crossed the river from South Jersey.

Philadelphia & South Jersey as well as Delaware shared an inheritance of Swedes & Finns far more than the western suburbs.

So, yes, historically the western suburbs were more independent of Philadelphia. It was because of who initially settled which area. Don't forget that Delaware was once part of Pennsylvania. Before William Penn was given the land grant that became Pennsylvania & Delaware, he was involved with a group of Quakers in what became South Jersey. The whole area shares William Penn.

In the 1750s the British established the first Indian reservation in Burlington County, called the Brotherton reservation. It was established to get the Lenne Lenape out of the way.

Read up on the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM
 
24 posts, read 9,044 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sharing the name in many instances, but the PA burbs could definitely and most certainly function as their own "region" moreso than Philadelphia.

Being in the same state, naturally Philadelphia and the PA burbs are more integrated with one another, but I think if any part of the region were to exist independently, it would be the PA burbs. South Jersey is almost entirely depended on Philadelphia, PA burbs are not.
We will just have to agree to disagree. People outside of the region have heard of Camden, they haven't heard of Norristown, Chester, or Darby. In my opinion SJ feels much more like a distinct region, than the county areas outside of Philly in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bread1076 View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. People outside of the region have heard of Camden, they haven't heard of Norristown, Chester, or Darby. In my opinion SJ feels much more like a distinct region, than the county areas outside of Philly in PA.
King of Prussia, The Main Line or West Chester are better examples.

But I guess in terms of being a separate distinct area of land, I see your point about SJ.
I was viewing it as which part of the Philadelphia area is the most self sufficient, in which the PA burbs are obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2018, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
King of Prussia, The Main Line or West Chester are better examples.

But I guess in terms of being a separate distinct area of land, I see your point about SJ.
I was viewing it as which part of the Philadelphia area is the most self sufficient, in which the PA burbs are obvious.
But don't make me trot out Dick Voith (FRB Philadelphia, 1998) on you.

The suburbanites tend to downplay the degree to which they really are interconnected with the core city, and not only here on the Main Line. Detroiters have a similar mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But don't make me trot out Dick Voith (FRB Philadelphia, 1998) on you.

The suburbanites tend to downplay the degree to which they really are interconnected with the core city, and not only here on the Main Line. Detroiters have a similar mentality.
I am aware of the interconnection, especially between the Main Line communities. My disagreement was focused on SJ being more distinct/ separated than SEPA.

Geographically, yes more distinct... every other aspect, not really (IMO).

I am glad the relationship between Philadelphia and the PA burbs have improved as of late.
I hope this city can get a handle on its poverty crisis and stagnant crime rates, because that trend of suburbanites moving into the city can change back just as fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top