Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times

Advertisements

To me, in some ways, the South Jersey burbs are more a part of Philly culture than the PA burbs, for what I think are three main reasons:

1 - Many SJ residents once lived in the city. If they didn’t, their parents often did.

2 - The towns in PA are much more independent of the city. The PA towns have more jobs, colleges/universities, cultural/historical attractions, etc.

3 - Many people living in the PA burbs don’t like the city, and don’t go into it a whole lot. This permeates the independent aspect mentioned in #2 above. To me, SJ people are generally much more likely to go into the city, and IMO are much more likely to speak well of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. I missed that. I would hope that Philadelphians would consider South Philly residents to be Philadelphians.
I think it was a typo and the OP meant to ask if Philadelphians would consider South Jersey residents....

I am from the suburbs of Philly and certainly consider myself a Philadelphian. My ex-boyfriend, however, when I first met him said he was from "South Jersey". I really didn't know what South Jersey meant -- did that mean the shore? (I later realized it's those lower counties in Jersey.) Anyway, so I would say people from South Jersey would normally not say they're from Philadelphia. Jersey does have its own quirky identity, like all the diners and catering places! But they certainly identify with the Philly sports teams and as part of the Philly metro area. Especially a place like Collingswood, which is right over the bridge.

But if you truly want to be a Philadelphian, move to Philly! I don't live there anymore but it is still my hometown, I still love it and go back as often as I can, including for the Eagles Super Bowl parade! It's a wonderful city and I think you'll love it.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 AM

7 posts, read 6,207 times
Thanks so much for these answers everyone - really helpful . Appreciate it!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 AM

752 posts, read 458,681 times
What follows is only my opinion/experience. South Jersey is absolutely part of Metro Philadelphia. In some ways, they are closer and in some ways more distant in their relationship to the City. SJ is obviously in a different state and have no common government with the rest of the metro. and that creates a certain separation. The majority of the metro in in PA so the center of gravity is always across the river. Maybe similar to the US/Canada relationship, Canadians generally are very aware of everything US where many/most Americans could really care less about north of the border. Outside of the shore, most PA residents of the Metro could care less what goes on across the bridges. Also, a certain amount of North Jersey (NY) culture finds its way down to SJ. This is a silly example but calling a “hoagie” a “sub” is not uncommon in SJ, even among people have been there for a few generations.

I also find that SJ picks and chooses to be a “Philadelphian” vs. a “Jersey Girl!” when it suits them. But I have to say that this split loyalty goes on in the PA burbs as well. The attitude of “Philadelphia is a sh*thole and why would I ever visit that third world mess?” is much more common in the PA suburbs than in SJ.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
To me, in some ways, the South Jersey burbs are more a part of Philly culture than the PA burbs, for what I think are three main reasons:

1 - Many SJ residents once lived in the city. If they didn’t, their parents often did.

2 - The towns in PA are much more independent of the city. The PA towns have more jobs, colleges/universities, cultural/historical attractions, etc.

3 - Many people living in the PA burbs don’t like the city, and don’t go into it a whole lot. This permeates the independent aspect mentioned in #2 above. To me, SJ people are generally much more likely to go into the city, and IMO are much more likely to speak well of the city.
This made me laugh actually. Slight shade thrown at SJ for its lack of culture and attractions. But I do agree, suburban PA counties function as their own region and aren't really dependent on Philadelphia, unlike SJ which is almost entirely dependent on Philadelphia.

PA burbs are more comparable to NJ burbs.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,793 times
This is all a historical narrative.

Southeast Pennsylvania has always been the more developed region.

DUH (We have Philadelphia).

It is the wealthier region. And also the region with more issues on our plate.

Southeast Pennsylvania population : Nearly 5 Million

South Jersey Population: 1.5 Million

Point of the comparison. S. New Jersey is great for what it is. I dont dislike it, but for a true unity of city and state mindset. Turn to Southeast Pennsylvania. Have you honestly met a Philadelphian or Pennsylvanian who like Jersey. Nah.

S. NJ is fine and dandy I truly don't dislike. Only when they think they share the assets of our region(southeast PA), which honestly are quite profound.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,750,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Point of the comparison. S. New Jersey is great for what it is. I dont dislike it, but for a true unity of city and state mindset. Turn to Southeast Pennsylvania. Have you honestly met a Philadelphian or Pennsylvanian who like Jersey. Nah.

S. NJ is fine and dandy I truly don't dislike. Only when they think they share the assets of our region(southeast PA), which honestly are quite profound.

"More issues on our plate" What do you mean by that?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

The OP is not asking for data and statistics. He's asking about a "feeling" and perception.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Many South Jerseyites moved not just from Philly, but from South Philly. In terms of ethnic flavor, you'll find a lot more of the deracinated Italian/Irish flavor and much less WASPiness in South Jersey than you will in the Pennsylvania 'burbs (and in those, Delaware County more closely resembles South Jersey in this regard than the other three collar counties do).

Coming as I do from the one American metropolis that is an exception to this rule*, I've become quite aware of the dynamics of bi- or multi-state metropolitan areas in the US. Usually, when a metropolitan area includes territory in more than one state, the area in the state(s) that do(es) not contain the core city is generally regarded as in some respects separate from or lesser than the part that's in the same state as the core city. Take a look at St. Louis' Illinois suburbs (and East St. Louis and Camden are almost exact matches), or Chicago's in Northwest Indiana, or how New Yorkers regard North Jersey and to a lesser extent Southwest Connecticut.

I even pattern this behavior in the channel I run at Philadelphia magazine. You will occasionally find houses in South Jersey featured on our real estate channel, and the community guides I write venture into South Jersey too - like most everyone who's visited it lately, I sang the praises of Collingswood to high heaven. But when I do the weekend list of featured open houses, I almost always pick one house in each of the five Southeastern Pennsylvania counties and omit South Jersey. (I will occasionally do an all-South Jersey edition of this.)

*There is one other exception: Washington, DC, as the District of Columbia is part of no state. Its three constituent states or state equivalents tend to be regarded on an equal footing by the locals and the local media. This is even reflected in the now-common use of "the DMV" to refer to the region.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Many South Jerseyites moved not just from Philly, but from South Philly. In terms of ethnic flavor, you'll find a lot more of the deracinated Italian/Irish flavor and much less WASPiness in South Jersey than you will in the Pennsylvania 'burbs (and in those, Delaware County more closely resembles South Jersey in this regard than the other three collar counties do).

Coming as I do from the one American metropolis that is an exception to this rule*, I've become quite aware of the dynamics of bi- or multi-state metropolitan areas in the US. Usually, when a metropolitan area includes territory in more than one state, the area in the state(s) that do(es) not contain the core city is generally regarded as in some respects separate from or lesser than the part that's in the same state as the core city. Take a look at St. Louis' Illinois suburbs (and East St. Louis and Camden are almost exact matches), or Chicago's in Northwest Indiana, or how New Yorkers regard North Jersey and to a lesser extent Southwest Connecticut.

I even pattern this behavior in the channel I run at Philadelphia magazine. You will occasionally find houses in South Jersey featured on our real estate channel, and the community guides I write venture into South Jersey too - like most everyone who's visited it lately, I sang the praises of Collingswood to high heaven. But when I do the weekend list of featured open houses, I almost always pick one house in each of the five Southeastern Pennsylvania counties and omit South Jersey. (I will occasionally do an all-South Jersey edition of this.)

*There is one other exception: Washington, DC, as the District of Columbia is part of no state. Its three constituent states or state equivalents tend to be regarded on an equal footing by the locals and the local media. This is even reflected in the now-common use of "the DMV" to refer to the region.
The real loser in the tristate area is Delaware, which many people tend to forget about completely, but it's still there.

I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years. In real life I never ran into the animosity towards South Jersey that a few posters are comfortable in voicing on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia