U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 PM

1,547 posts, read 3,477,198 times

Advertisements

Riff Raff loves dem shopping centers. Who even thinks like this? Lol.

Maybe we can try and name one new main st mixed use development in the entire nation that has gone ghetto. They can even include Florida if they want.

I can however, name lots of standard shopping centers that either sit half empty or have slashed their rent prices. (which would invite discount retailers). “Oh my!” you bat twits.

Have they even considered a fancy Main Street would actually bring their property values up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 AM

1,244 posts, read 799,046 times
Everyone likes shopping centers, including riff raffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

Maybe we can try and name one new main st mixed use development in the entire nation that has gone ghetto. They can even include Florida if they want.

I can however, name lots of standard shopping centers that either sit half empty or have slashed their rent prices. (which would invite discount retailers). “Oh my!” you bat twits.

Have they even considered a fancy Main Street would actually bring their property values up?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM

390 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:

I never considered Florida to be the capital of sophistication

Old 11-16-2018, 07:26 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:

Your post was hard to follow, but playing devils advocate... The men from Chester who were recently arrested for getting into a gun fight in the Springfield Mall parking lot is a good example of why people don't like riff raff.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Your post was hard to follow, but playing devils advocate... The men from Chester who were recently arrested for getting into a gun fight in the Springfield Mall parking lot is a good example of why people don't like riff raff.
I appreciate the feedback, but how exactly does commercial retail buildings arranged in a more walkable setting invite more “riff raff”. Malls are in fact anti-main street. You could say making the development more car friendly, would invite more criminals, who could make hastier getaways.

BTW, riff raff have access to motorized vehicles now. They can go anywhere they want. Does that mean we shouldn’t build roads?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback, but how exactly does commercial retail buildings arranged in a more walkable setting invite more “riff raff”. Malls are in fact anti-main street. You could say making the development more car friendly, would invite more criminals, who could make hastier getaways.

BTW, riff raff have access to motorized vehicles now. They can go anywhere they want. Does that mean we shouldn’t build roads?
It's all tied to the history of suburbanization, including shopping centers and Robert Moses style infrastructure plans, that creates a mentality that accessibility by automobile (only) keeps riff raff out. For these folks, transit will always open Pandora's box. New walkable developments lend themselves to transit accessibility and the types of environments the bats are scared of.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Well for what it’s worth, the renderings I provided are still preliminary. The developer stated that the Main Street concept has ceased to be financially feasible. There still needs to be community review, however.

I truly hope the new plan get’s beaten back. So in other words the developer pulled a bait and switch, ala Amazon. I’m sure their getting a lot of tax breaks. Corruption in the USA folks.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:03 AM

390 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's all tied to the history of suburbanization, including shopping centers and Robert Moses style infrastructure plans, that creates a mentality that accessibility by automobile (only) keeps riff raff out. For these folks, transit will always open Pandora's box. New walkable developments lend themselves to transit accessibility and the types of environments the bats are scared of.
The 104 bus already stops at this exact location. It has for years. The layout of the shopping center would make no difference on transit options. The only crime/layout relationship I can think of is that, if everything was clustered together, it would leave less "dead" areas for crime to take place.

If it were up to me, I would have laid things out the way our cities perfected it centuries ago: storefronts on the ground floors, and residential on the higher floors. I'm willing to bet that lawyers hate the idea of that though.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Whole Foods to open in Newtown Square after years of delay and rumors

Coincidence. Looks like the Whole Foods has an opening date finally.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 AM

2,955 posts, read 2,379,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Whole Foods to open in Newtown Square after years of delay and rumors

Coincidence. Looks like the Whole Foods has an opening date finally.
So am I the only one baffled here- is there not a Whole Foods already in Newtown Square? ( I don't know the names of the shopping areas but it has a few restaurants and ULTA there right on route 3. Maybe it's closed since I noticed it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or