U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And they are locating to what could be prominent corners. I just hope this one doesn't turn into the disaster at Broad and Walnut.
It will get a ton of tourists, so, no, I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Okay, I'm just going to say it, even though it may be an unpopular opinion. I don't think Wawa should be in Center City at all. (And I LOVE Wawa.) It's a suburban store whose business model is much more geared towards successfully meeting the needs of suburbanites. Independent delis and bodegas are the things of city life, and they should be given the ability to continue to thrive rather than having to compete with a chain as large as Wawa. Smaller moms and pops will (likely) not be able to compete on price, because the larger a company and its orders are, the more economies of scale come into play. If a local mom and pop had to fold because of Wawa, that would be a damn shame.

Years ago, Wawa started a massive overhaul of all their buildings, inside and out, and added gas stations where possible. The gas stations, parking lots, and double door entrances are what make Wawa, Wawa. And those things only work in the burbs.
Believe it or not, I sort of agree with you. And there were only a couple, MarketEl can probably verify this, for a long time in Chinatown at 11th Arch and lower Spring Garden/Franklintown at 21th and Hamilton. The Chinatown one closed but the Spring Garden has been there for over 20 years.

My neighborhood is blessed with a variety independent store/restaueants, i.e. Mom and Pop places. Other than chain drug stores, the only chains are Target, Whole Foods and the Wawa I mentioned above.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I blame the people going into these places. They're opening because people go to them. You will never see me in Wawa or one of these Apple Store look alikes (Verizon, AT&T, even Sprint!).
There's an xFinity store in the 1400 block of Walnut now....but that's the hometown team.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 PM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Believe it or not, I sort of agree with you. And there were only a couple, MarketEl can probably verify this, for a long time in Chinatown at 11th Arch and lower Spring Garden/Franklintown at 21th and Hamilton. The Chinatown one closed but the Spring Garden has been there for over 20 years.
True, but when I moved here in 1983, Wawas were much thicker on the ground in Center City than they are even now.

Both of those were around, as was the 17th and Arch store that got expanded and remodeled. Ditto the Society Hill store at 2d and Lombard and the one in Jefferson's Barringer Residence Hall in the 900 block of Walnut.

But there were also Wawas at 21st and Chestnut, 12th and Walnut, 8th and Bainbridge, and 27th and Lombard streets. The last of those four sits vacant now, while the other three turned into indies - one of them an outpost of Old Nelson Food Co., a Center City C-store chain that has sandwiches of the kind people remember Wawa once had. (They use Boar's Head deli meats, which should get them read out of town but which I consider superior to Dietz & Watson. Now where do I turn in my PhillyCard(tm)?)

For a while in the mid-1990s, Wawa also operated a sandwiches-only store called Hoagie Time at 16th and Walnut, where a shoe store (Aerosoles, I think) is now.

I think there were also one or two more Wawas in Center City beyond these.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:21 AM

426 posts, read 159,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
True, but when I moved here in 1983, Wawas were much thicker on the ground in Center City than they are even now.

Both of those were around, as was the 17th and Arch store that got expanded and remodeled. Ditto the Society Hill store at 2d and Lombard and the one in Jefferson's Barringer Residence Hall in the 900 block of Walnut.

But there were also Wawas at 21st and Chestnut, 12th and Walnut, 8th and Bainbridge, and 27th and Lombard streets. The last of those four sits vacant now, while the other three turned into indies - one of them an outpost of Old Nelson Food Co., a Center City C-store chain that has sandwiches of the kind people remember Wawa once had. (They use Boar's Head deli meats, which should get them read out of town but which I consider superior to Dietz & Watson. Now where do I turn in my PhillyCard(tm)?)

For a while in the mid-1990s, Wawa also operated a sandwiches-only store called Hoagie Time at 16th and Walnut, where a shoe store (Aerosoles, I think) is now.

I think there were also one or two more Wawas in Center City beyond these.
20th and Locust in the bottom of the Dorchester, where a 7-11 is now and also one at 20th and Chestnut, which is now an Old Nelson (but that may be the one that you are referencing as 21st and Chestnut).

Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM

669 posts, read 453,089 times
Quote:

My neighborhood is blessed with a variety independent store/restaueants, i.e. Mom and Pop places. Other than chain drug stores, the only chains are Target, Whole Foods and the Wawa I mentioned above.
I really like several local delis and think for the most part they do a pretty decent job with basic food. However, with Philly growing and expanding the way it is, I just don't see banning Wawas and similar chains from the city as a viable solution. Can you just imagine what lunch would look like anywhere in CC if a handful of Mom and Pops over several blocks were trying to churn out hundreds of sandwiches in an hour? Also, where would one get money out of a "knowingly safe" ATM? I'm not about to stick my bank card into a bodega or mom and pop machine. Finally, what about general supplies if one is isn't near a true grocery store? You can't count on Mom and Pops to carry the inventory Wawa's have available.

And, I will say that I don't see Wawas pushing out independent smaller shops. Maybe it's just that I'm in South Philly where hoagies and cheesestakes are taken seriously and we have dozens of great shops, but our bigger convenient stores like Wawa and the Mom and Pops seem to co-exist quite harmoniously.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
It will get a ton of tourists, so, no, I don't think so.
I do think every City Wawa should have a dedicated security guard (with a gun and nightstick) from 6pm onward and most definitely after 9pm.

This new one is in a quieter area so hopefully like you said it shouldn't be a problem. But the one at Broad and Walnut, the the two new ones on 13th and Market and Chestnut have already become gathering points for groups and homeless.

Not to say a homeless person can't sit inside and eat a sandwich, but those loud hoards of thugs are not a pleasant experience to encounter, especially for those from out of town who may not know how to handle that.

PPD has to take officers off the street to watch the stores because I guess Wawa is too cheap to hire their own?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:00 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,009,172 times
I can see the city placing armed guards for convenience stores and expect the media won't point out Philly now needs to police its downtown store.....

Just parking their cruiser outside near these with loiterers.... might curtail some of it. They don't have to leave their nice warm cruiser and play a videogame inside ..... Maybe a occasional appearance inside for their free coffee.

Really, CC gets many common folk heading to its crew for ther shopping needs .... if their hoods lack it. Maybe more so then other major cities?

Sure some wealthier locals rather more high-end establishments to eateries. But not for all these other folk using CC. Some cities you see more drug stores thru ther core that cater to tourist and locals needs.

If something else better isn't taking these locations you rather ..... a wealthy company as Wawa will and bring farther neighborhood folk in for ther soda and energy drink fixes and hang around.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:29 AM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I really like several local delis and think for the most part they do a pretty decent job with basic food. However, with Philly growing and expanding the way it is, I just don't see banning Wawas and similar chains from the city as a viable solution. Can you just imagine what lunch would look like anywhere in CC if a handful of Mom and Pops over several blocks were trying to churn out hundreds of sandwiches in an hour? Also, where would one get money out of a "knowingly safe" ATM? I'm not about to stick my bank card into a bodega or mom and pop machine. Finally, what about general supplies if one is isn't near a true grocery store? You can't count on Mom and Pops to carry the inventory Wawa's have available.

And, I will say that I don't see Wawas pushing out independent smaller shops. Maybe it's just that I'm in South Philly where hoagies and cheesestakes are taken seriously and we have dozens of great shops, but our bigger convenient stores like Wawa and the Mom and Pops seem to co-exist quite harmoniously.
Well, to the point about chains vs. indies:

7-Eleven rushed in to fill the vacuum Wawa's departure from Center City left. There are now more of those than there were Wawas in Center City back in its 1980s heyday.

One of my guesses is that Wawa didn't want the interlopers from Dallas by way of Venezuela* eating their lunch - or their breakfast - on their home turf.

Not that I'd do either. Have you ever had 7-Eleven fare? It makes what Wawa offers look like haute cuisine.

In short, I'm agreeing with your larger point. I welcome the return of the better C-store chain to the big city that's a suburb of its home.

*7-Eleven was owned by a Dallas outfit called The Southland Corporation from its founding in the mid-1960s until sometime in the 1990s, when Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., the state oil company that owns the Citgo brand in this country, bought the C-store chain as a way to expand its presence as a gasoline retailer here. So when you patronize 7-Eleven or buy gas at a Citgo station, you're putting money in Nicolas Maduro's pocket. Just so you'll know.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I can see the city placing armed guards for convenience stores and expect the media won't point out Philly now needs to police its downtown store.....

Just parking their cruiser outside near these with loiterers.... might curtail some of it. They don't have to leave their nice warm cruiser and play a videogame inside ..... Maybe a occasional appearance inside for their free coffee.

Really, CC gets many common folk heading to its crew for ther shopping needs .... if their hoods lack it. Maybe more so then other major cities?

Sure some wealthier locals rather more high-end establishments to eateries. But not for all these other folk using CC. Some cities you see more drug stores thru ther core that cater to tourist and locals needs.

If something else better isn't taking these locations you rather ..... a wealthy company as Wawa will and bring farther neighborhood folk in for ther soda and energy drink fixes and hang around.
I am guessing you have never been to the Broad and Walnut Wawa. If the bar stools have to be chained up after 10pm, then I don't think its an exaggeration to have an armed security guard inside.

I am not advocating for every convenience store or cafe to have one, but a Wawa in a high traffic area of the city most certainly should have one, because people can't act appropriately unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia