Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What makes Sheetz better than Wawa? I've been in many Sheetz in my travel, and find them very similar to Wawa, but I prefer Wawa just a tad. To me Sheetz is just a western PA knock off of Wawa.
For PA Sheetz is maybe favored just a bit, it and WaWa are both PA founded and based companies, because it expanded out of its home area much sooner.

For the record Sheetz was founded before WaWa, 1952 as opposed to 1964.

We moved to Maryland in the early 80s from NWPA and Sheetz was already up there where there are more cows than people. I'd never heard of WaWa until we'd been down here for years. I originally thought it was a southern (like Georgia southern) company. Maybe because of the name (like Piggly Wiggly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Royal Farms just opened a few locations around here and I couldn't be more disappointed. Very unimpressed and rank them a few rungs below WaWa. Hopefully this is just a reflection on the individual stores I've visited and not the franchise. I've actually never been to a Sheetz, so can't speak to that operation.

Honestly, I think the OP is incorrectly analyzing the purpose of WaWa. In no way is it meant to actually be a competitive restaurant, but rather a one-stop option with above average products. There are few other retail establishments were one can get fuel, buy a range of hearty and/or healthy made to order food products and pick up a variety of extras all under 10 minutes. As someone with a busy schedule, I simply don't have time or desire to drive to a local deli, find parking, go through a slower and less automated ordering process, get my food, drive to another location for gas, and possibly a third for any extras I might need.
Whoever is running the Royal Farms stores in our area, besides maybe their famous chicken and eco-friendly clean bathrooms, I've been disappointed with everything else. I haven't been able to get a frozen lemonade slushie at three different stores for a month+. 2 stores had their frozen machine totally broken, and one store could only offer whatever you offered with raspberry added on to it.

The ones I went to in MD did a better job with overall ambiance etc. It's been awhile since I've been to the ones in MD too, though.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For the record Sheetz was founded before WaWa, 1952 as opposed to 1964.
Depends on how you want to date it.

The convenience stores date to 1964, true. But the company itself was founded as a dairy in 1902. The original dairy plant on Route 1 in Wawa, Pa., is still in use. Wawa got into the convenience-store business in order to combat declining sales in its bedrock home-milk-delivery business by offering customers other outlets for its products.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Depends on how you want to date it.

The convenience stores date to 1964, true. But the company itself was founded as a dairy in 1902. The original dairy plant on Route 1 in Wawa, Pa., is still in use. Wawa got into the convenience-store business in order to combat declining sales in its bedrock home-milk-delivery business by offering customers other outlets for its products.
I'd think since the thread is about the convenience store aspect that would be the starting point. A dairy and milk delivery business is a different thing altogether.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:26 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
It's better than most convenience stores when it comes to food, but overall overrated. It definitely works for drunks late at night, but on the other hand they should go to Dennys.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
It's better than most convenience stores when it comes to food, but overall overrated. It definitely works for drunks late at night, but on the other hand they should go to Dennys.
Well, considering they do booming business throughout the day, it's obviously works for more people than just the drunks. That being said, I'm not out at 2am so have no idea what goes on then but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the morning, midday, and evening rush.

Maybe it's a generational thing but it seems that every time a local food establishment comes up in conversation that is considered sub-par, someone brings up the drunks. I can't think of any establishment outside of bars being kept afloat by just the drunks.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Wrong. No one should go to Denny’s.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
In a hurry, and need to pick up a box of donuts, a beverage (love their coffee), or a healthy snack? Wawa is my go-to spot.
Quote:
There are few other retail establishments were one can get fuel, buy a range of hearty and/or healthy made to order food products and pick up a variety of extras all under 10 minutes. As someone with a busy schedule, I simply don't have time or desire to drive to a local deli, find parking, go through a slower and less automated ordering process, get my food, drive to another location for gas, and possibly a third for any extras I might need.
Exactly.
I LOVE Wawa.
Neither Royal Farms, nor Sheetz are anywhere near on equal footing, let alone better than Wawa. I've been to both Sheetz and RF and was utterly disappointed. Talk about not seeing what all the hype is about. Those two suck. Less variety in terms of food offerings. The Sheetz I went to in VA was small and crowded. I could barely turn around in there. And RF? So what? It has very salty fried chicken that will make your high blood pressure blow your head off.

I will always shop and stop for gas at Wawa over Sheetz or RF.

The only thing I'm sulking about now is that Wawa gas is no longer as cheap as it used to be. It no longer has THE cheapest gas around. (in my area anyway) And while I still will get gas there, it's just because I love their iced tea and don't want to make another stop for gas. IF I'm not buying iced tea, I'm getting gas at the cheapest place, and Wawa may not be it.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM

91 posts, read 82,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Royal Farms' reputation for food rests on the quality of its fried chicken, which many rave about.
Very correct. As a vegetarian, the fried chicken smell isn't inviting to me, but for those that like chicken, it's going to be a draw.

I agree the with OP that the pretzels at Wawa aren't good, but the coffee is good. A lot of flavors as well, always hot. Wawa employees are always replacing to ensure the coffee is fresh. It's more expensive than McDonalds or Burger King, and even Sheetz (Sheetz has loyalty program where you can get discounted coffee pricing). But it's less expensive than Starbucks and inside Wegmans.

As for Sheetz, I think locations vary quite a bit. I was completely disappointed with their northern most Maryland store in Joppa (closest to us here in the Philly region from I-95). Small store, no seating, coffee served like 7-11 does. I've been to various in Pittsburgh and one in Lancaster, but I don't remember the addresses. Some are small and some aren't kept up well. On the other hand, if you go to a new larger store, it has seating and clean bathrooms, and more variety of food choices. Unfortunately, Sheetz won't compete in the suburbs of Philly proper. Likewise, Wawa isn't interested in competing in Sheetz territory. I went to one Sheetz where they didn't have the windshield cleaner by any of the gas pumps. All were empty (and looked like they weren't filled recently). I told the store clerk inside and she was surprised but I just drove to another gas station. At Wawa gas stations, these are always filled and well maintained from my experiences.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I like Wawa, just like everyone else. However, I’ve been told by multiple auto mechanics that their gas is substandard. Their soft pretzels are, for the most part, awful. Their sandwiches are so-so; I find their chicken salad and egg salad to be very good, but their Italian hoagies not as good as they should be. And, the bread is not top tier. That being said, they are good when you’re in a hurry.

I guess the point of this post is to see if others agree, and to figure out why the company is worshipped by so many in this region. Shouldn’t they up their game, or don’t they have to, given the aforementioned praise and worship they already receive?
Their pretzels are actually better than Philly Pretzels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia