Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM

752 posts, read 459,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Technically Uber St is in Francisville because it's north of Fairmount Ave. In any case there are better and newer options right on Uber as there are on Poplar. But are any of them on the market right now? Probably not.
I think you may be telling me something that I didn't know. What's the east/west border of Francsiville (at least as far as you are concerned)? To be honest, the borders between Fairmount, Spring Garden, and Francisville have always been confusing to me if you want to elaborate on that as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wouldn't we assume "South Park, San Diego", since that's what his Location says?

I tend to gloss right over that info on the right side of the header sometimes.

T. Damon: You may ignore that question and answer this one instead:

in your travels around disgustingly sunny San Diego, have you run across a woman by the name of Ellen Brenner?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think you may be telling me something that I didn't know. What's the east/west border of Francsiville (at least as far as you are concerned)? To be honest, the borders between Fairmount, Spring Garden, and Francisville have always been confusing to me if you want to elaborate on that as well. Thanks!
Fairmount Avenue on the south, Girard Avenue on the north, Broad Street on the east and Eastern State Penitentiary / Corinthian Avenue on the west.

Its distinctive feature: it has a street grid that follows Ridge Avenue rather than the city's axes in the heart of the neighborhood.

Fairmount lies to Francisville's west, and Spring Garden lies to the south of both.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
I am always so excited when I hear that someone loves my hometown! So I'm from the Philly suburbs and have also lived in Huntington Beach and am now in Florida. I don't have direct Center-City-living experience, but that's where I would want to be. I'm not that familiar with all the neighborhoods but of course I love the Rittenhouse Square area. My dentist (and I still fly up from Florida to see her) is at 15th and Locust and I just love the energy and vibrancy of being in the city.

Of course, my primary caution to you is going to be the weather. I know you're already aware of the winters, which really are not all that bad -- 40s day/30s night except for occasional colder snaps. Snow is all over the map -- sometimes it's a lot, sometimes hardly any. The summer heat/humidity can be brutal, though, and it can last a long time. I actually find it more oppressive than where I am in Florida, but maybe that's because I'm near the water. So I was in HEAVEN when I lived in Southern CA. They would complain sometimes about humidity and I would laughhhh! I know it's gotten hotter since I lived there almost 20 years ago, but still.

The other thing I notice when I go home now is that it's grayer and more dreary, I guess because I'm so used now to year-round lush tropical vegetation, palm trees, turquoise water and sunshine. You would have the same thing, coming from San Diego.

OK, so that's the only drawbacks I can think of for you! I think Philly is the most wonderful city in the country -- it's a big city but not TOO big, so it still has a strong community spirit. Good luck in your decision!
Whether it was to save money(you're retired right ?) or the weather why did you leave? You obviously have a lot of affection for Philadelphia. If you think it "the most wonderful city in the country" why? Other than finances it seems strange that you would leave if it's a place you love so much.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
The western border of Francisville is Corinthian Ave, southern border is Fairmount Ave, northern border Girard Ave., eastern border is Broad St. Of course realtors like to shift names around.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Whether it was to save money(you're retired right ?) or the weather why did you leave? You obviously have a lot of affection for Philadelphia. If you think it "the most wonderful city in the country" why? Other than finances it seems strange that you would leave if it's a place you love so much.
I love Kansas City to death.

It's quite likely that I will never live there again.

There are many reasons why someone who dearly loves their hometown might leave it. There may be more or better work opportunities in one's chosen field in another city. College is a common reason young people leave their hometowns, and after they've been exposed to a different environment, they may find it enticing enough to stay there. A person might fall in love with another who lives elsewhere, and after weighing the possible options for living together, decides the wiser choice would be to follow the spouse(-to-be) to where they live.

And you know that many Americans find winter an affront to their sensibilities.

Those are the ones that spring to mind first.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:14 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Because I'm retired and I inherited a paid-for condo. And beyond that, my taxes are now $800 v. $3600 in Philly. Secondarily, the cold is actually painful for me. And I don't hate Florida -- it's beautiful, at least where I am. Have met a lot of Philly transplants at the Eagles bar so that's a little taste of home!

ETA: I still keep my subscriptions to the Inquirer and Philadelphia Magazine so I can stay connected to city goings-on. I go home for vacation or family reunions or weddings, or to the aforementioned dentist, usually two or three times a year. As soon as the Eagles won the Super Bowl, I booked a room in center city and a flight up for the parade. It is very much still my hometown.

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

There are many reasons why someone who dearly loves their hometown might leave it. There may be more or better work opportunities in one's chosen field in another city. College is a common reason young people leave their hometowns, and after they've been exposed to a different environment, they may find it enticing enough to stay there. A person might fall in love with another who lives elsewhere, and after weighing the possible options for living together, decides the wiser choice would be to follow the spouse(-to-be) to where they live.

Conversely, how about the number of athletes who play for Philly teams and end up staying even after they're not on the Philly team anymore? Brent Celek. originally from Cincinnati, just retired, is staying in Philly and starting a real estate career. I think Jon Dorenbos also stayed. I even was surprised to read that Donovan McNabb, who I thought would have high-tailed it outta Philly, still has a place (Moorestown I think) and splits his time between there and Arizona. And there are many others.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Well, sure all of those reasons are valid. And I didn't mean that supporting a place from afar was wrong.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Because I'm retired and I inherited a paid-for condo. And beyond that, my taxes are now $800 v. $3600 in Philly. Secondarily, the cold is actually painful for me. And I don't hate Florida -- it's beautiful, at least where I am. Have met a lot of Philly transplants at the Eagles bar so that's a little taste of home!

ETA: I still keep my subscriptions to the Inquirer and Philadelphia Magazine so I can stay connected to city goings-on. I go home for vacation or family reunions or weddings, or to the aforementioned dentist, usually two or three times a year. As soon as the Eagles won the Super Bowl, I booked a room in center city and a flight up for the parade. It is very much still my hometown.
I often make the wrong assumptions when people leave the Phila. area. That they're mostly negadelphians who left because they hated the area. It seems more true, though, that many of those negadelphians are still in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia