Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They just built a couple new gas super gas stations on the PA/Del line to keep up with demand(Wawa + Dash-IN.
The Dash-In I don't know about, but the Wawa on Naamans Road has been there for years. So it's not new. I'm glad to know about the Dash-In though. I usually don't see it because when I'm coming north from Maryland, I'm on 495, and that goes around where the Dash-In is located. And when I'm doing stuff locally in Wilmington, I have other places where I fill up. The Wawa on Naamans is a good spot though if you're going to the Home Depot that's right there or you're on 95.

If you take 896 to go around that outrageous $4.00 each way Delaware toll, then you'll see plenty of places to fill up for less.

I've always thought it was such a waste that the Wawa on 202 South of Concordville is on the PA side of the state line. I'm never going to et gas there now that the price is higher than it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
Ironically,they seem busy whenever I pass by. Most people wouldn't drive to Delaware just to fill up. At most, you only save 5 buck or thereabouts. I prefer to use points for gas discounts which is usually a bigger discount than filling up at Delaware. But whenever I find myself in Delaware, I make a point of filling up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I've always thought it was such a waste that the Wawa on 202 South of Concordville is on the PA side of the state line. I'm never going to et gas there now that the price is higher than it was.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Ironically,they seem busy whenever I pass by. Most people wouldn't drive to Delaware just to fill up. At most, you only save 5 buck or thereabouts. I prefer to use points for gas discounts which is usually a bigger discount than filling up at Delaware. But whenever I find myself in Delaware, I make a point of filling up.
Agree. Whenever I’m at the 202 South of Concordville in PA Wawa (once or twice a year, during the AM commute), it’s packed, including the gas pumps.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 AM

Oh, I'm a big Wawa fan and and I have no doubt it's packed, I've been there. I'm just hardly ever over in that area. (the closest I get on a semi regular basis is the Wegmans/Mod Pizza that's up the road, or the Trader Joes that's down the road at Brandywine. So even if I'm there my routes don't take me past there.

But if I were, there more often I still likely wouldn't get gas there if I didn't have to. That's all. Too many other places that are directly on my routes.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
A long time ago I suggested a Pa road privilege gas tax system that could raise revenue by gouging out of state drivers but not Pa resident drivers. So how could you do that? I'll explain.
Just add a ten cent fuel tax to fuel purchased at the pump. You're screaming " No!" right now, but hear me out. When you apply for your yearly Pa registration they take note of your miles driven and the state has your vehicle on record. They could average your cars MPG based on the model and determine roughly how many gallons you've purchased over the year by miles driven. If you purchase and use, say, 500 gallons, that times ten cents would come out to 50 dollars. So when you renew you registration they'd give you a rebate check of 50 dollars.
Out of state non resident drivers would not get the rebate and they'd pay for the privilege of driving on Pa roads. And trucks have to cross Pa to get from NJ or NY so they'd most likely have to buy gas somewhere in Pa. One tractor trailer is equivalent to the wear and tear of 300 cars I read.
Its not a perfect system. People living close to the state borders could get their gas out of state and try to cheat the system that way. But they could factor that in and reduce the rebate based on address. And commercial businesses that pay for gasoline for equipment would have to keep their fuel purchase records and get a rebate that way. Homeowners buying gas for snow blowers or lawn mowers would be out of luck but that would only be a dollar or two over the length of the season, at best.
For what its worth we're paying $2.59 a gallon in my area right now. That's in the far flung extreme edge border of Philly's suburbs.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:35 AM

^^ That's right. I am screaming, "No! "That idea is so convoluted I don't even know what to say about it. You want the country's highest gas tax. to be even higher. We should have smaller, government not bigger. And government LESS involved in our lives, not more.

1) The state doesn't need any more ideas about how to "gouge" anyone.
2) If an out-of-stater just never buys gas in PA, how would they be paying anything more than they already are.
3) If you live in Claymont and work in Chadds Ford, just never buy gas in PA. And why would you anyway when gas is cheaper where you live anyway?
4) If you live in Chadds Ford and work in Claymont, you'd make it your business to buy gas in DE anyway.
Just like people who live in Jersey, and work in PA. Until NJ's gas tax went up, do you really think any Jersey residents bought their gas while they were in PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia