U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 PM

6,216 posts, read 3,048,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Does anyone know if they can't just run more trains? Trains arrive every 3 - 4 mins in NYC. The El is not that frequent. I know they'd have to hire more people and have more engines, but maybe that would be easier. I'm always for shorter headways than I am for longer trains. Something that could be dramatically improved on regional rail as well.
According to the schedules I've seen, MFL trains do run on 3-minute headways at peak hours and 6 minutes midday. They drop to 10-minute headways in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if they can't just run more trains? Trains arrive every 3 - 4 mins in NYC. The El is not that frequent. I know they'd have to hire more people and have more engines, but maybe that would be easier. I'm always for shorter headways than I am for longer trains. Something that could be dramatically improved on regional rail as well.

There probably isn't enough rolling stock to do what you are suggesting with also needing to have a couple of trains in reserve in case of break down. If one rides out to the 69th St Victory Yard at, say, 8:30am you will see maybe one or two trains parked in the yard. Everything they have is being used.

Not sure what lines you have ridden in NY recently, but waits for the A, C, E or 1, 2, 3 routinely have longer wait times than they did a few years ago. Nothing I ride there is less than 5 minutes now.

Tbh, when I was working I pretty much could control my hours, had tremendous leeway/ flex time. So I was not experiencing some of what you guys do.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
According to the schedules I've seen, MFL trains do run on 3-minute headways at peak hours and 6 minutes midday. They drop to 10-minute headways in the evening.
Wow, that's surprising. There have been rare occasions where I get lucky and walk in when the train is arriving, but I cannot remember a single time when a train arrives within 3 mins of waiting during rush hour. Never!

Old 12-27-2018, 08:09 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There probably isn't enough rolling stock to do what you are suggesting with also needing to have a couple of trains in reserve in case of break down. If one rides out to the 69th St Victory Yard at, say, 8:30am you will see maybe one or two trains parked in the yard. Everything they have is being used.

Not sure what lines you have ridden in NY recently, but waits for the A, C, E or 1, 2, 3 routinely have longer wait times than they did a few years ago. Nothing I ride there is less than 5 minutes now.

Tbh, when I was working I pretty much could control my hours, had tremendous leeway/ flex time. So I was not experiencing some of what you guys do.
Head-ways have definitely suffered in NYC as of late. I've had the same experience as you. These transit systems are old and in need of some reinvestment, even the MTA. I say that because when traveling in Asia, I experienced trains arriving very frequently on-time with the best GPS/real-time tracking I've seen anywhere. Climate control platforms, updated technology, great signs, lighting, safety. Just 2 notches above anything in the US, even NYC. And we're talking huge cities like Seoul, Tokyo, etc.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 AM

6,216 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Wow, that's surprising. There have been rare occasions where I get lucky and walk in when the train is arriving, but I cannot remember a single time when a train arrives within 3 mins of waiting during rush hour. Never!
Something I've experienced often enough at peak hours is a longer-than-expected wait - say, 6 to 8 minutes - followed by a totally packed train pulling into the station. Behind it you can see the headlights of the train that was supposed to show up were it not for the delayed train ahead of it.

As for maintenance: SEPTA still deserves credit for keeping the system from falling apart the way the Washington Metro has and from suffering the deterioration New York's did during the years of lean transportation funding - and that includes the rebuilding of the Market Street elevated during this period. I'm not as confident about the current management's ability to stay on top of things, but SEPTA's deferred maintenance backlog is at least being addressed bit by bit with no need for the massive cash infusion New York will need or the crash program Washington embarked on that's seriously reduced the Metro's ability to function properly.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM

883 posts, read 530,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Capacity on the El is something I worry about. That line is terribly crowded, especially at rush hour, and not just in Center City, but nearly ended to end. An eastbound train leaving 69th at the morning rush is already packed by the time it’s at 52nd.

Yet I do know that Septa does want to reduce the congestion by lengthily the platforms so the el carries eight car trains, and not six. Yet this is mega costly and will require lots of construction and tunneling.

It doesn't have to be mega costly. There's no reason to lengthen the platforms. If you've ridden southbound on NJ Transit during evening rush hour, you should be familiar with the announcement that only certain cars will be on the platform, so if you need to disembark, you need to be in those cars or you're SOL.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 811,104 times
Quote:
I take the El from 46th Street to 15th Street to get to the office each morning. If you arrive during the A/B skip-stop period, then the El shows up within 3 minutes or less. I never rush to 46th Street since I know that another train will show up shortly.

Someone mentioned the capacity issue, which is absolutely valid. As a rider who boards at 46th Street, it's almost impossible to find a seat during the skip-stop period. The El fills up by the time it reaches 52nd Street. SEPTA really messed up when it rebuilt the Market Street Elevated, as the platforms should have been made long enough to accommodate 8-car trains. I understand that Philadelphia was a very different place back then, however, as I grew up during this period. I would've NEVER imagined the El being as crowded or as filled with transplants as it is now!

Also, a third track should have been added during the reconstruction of both elevated sections, similar to several lines in NYC (ex. the Broadway Elevated carrying the J/M/Z trains). I could see the following stops being designated as express stops:

Frankford TC
Arrott TC
Erie-Torresdale
Allegheny
Girard
Spring Garden
ALL stops within the tunnel (2nd-40th Streets)
52nd Street
60th Street
69th Street TC

Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,596,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I take the El from 46th Street to 15th Street to get to the office each morning. If you arrive during the A/B skip-stop period, then the El shows up within 3 minutes or less. I never rush to 46th Street since I know that another train will show up shortly.

Someone mentioned the capacity issue, which is absolutely valid. As a rider who boards at 46th Street, it's almost impossible to find a seat during the skip-stop period. The El fills up by the time it reaches 52nd Street. SEPTA really messed up when it rebuilt the Market Street Elevated, as the platforms should have been made long enough to accommodate 8-car trains. I understand that Philadelphia was a very different place back then, however, as I grew up during this period. I would've NEVER imagined the El being as crowded or as filled with transplants as it is now!

Also, a third track should have been added during the reconstruction of both elevated sections, similar to several lines in NYC (ex. the Broadway Elevated carrying the J/M/Z trains). I could see the following stops being designated as express stops:

Frankford TC
Arrott TC
Erie-Torresdale
Allegheny
Girard
Spring Garden
ALL stops within the tunnel (2nd-40th Streets)
52nd Street
60th Street
69th Street TC
I don’t think there’s enough room on Market Street for a third track. Although I like the idea. Capacity will always remain an issue and is will become beyond what the line can handle within the next decade I’d say.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,596,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Yeah the El has a fleet of 220 rail cars and operates 16 trains per hour during the rush hour period.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:27 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Head-ways have definitely suffered in NYC as of late. I've had the same experience as you. These transit systems are old and in need of some reinvestment, even the MTA. I say that because when traveling in Asia, I experienced trains arriving very frequently on-time with the best GPS/real-time tracking I've seen anywhere. Climate control platforms, updated technology, great signs, lighting, safety. Just 2 notches above anything in the US, even NYC. And we're talking huge cities like Seoul, Tokyo, etc.
We all know what politicians don't want to support transit. Party name starts with the letter "R". However there are new light rail lines in the country that look great. I rode the one in Charlotte back in Nov. Very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia