U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 AM

363 posts, read 224,647 times

Advertisements

Need more 24 hr buses like someone said, also how about bathrooms in the cars that service longer regional rail lines (NJT and LIRR have them). If you live in the burbs the furthest out you can get after 01:00 is 69th st. There should atleast be a once an hour between 0100-0500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Anyone else hope that SEPTA is reading this? It would disappoint me if they weren't.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 PM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed all the service disruptions and delays on the Broad Street Line recently? One thing I love about living on the BSL is that it runs very efficiently most of the time, but recently there have seemed to be a large uptick in issues.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed all the service disruptions and delays on the Broad Street Line recently? One thing I love about living on the BSL is that it runs very efficiently most of the time, but recently there have seemed to be a large uptick in issues.
One thing I've noticed is that my regular BSL I get after work has been completely MIA several times over the past couple of weeks (meaning, if you follow the block numbers, like I do on the APP, the trip itself seemed to just never have happened rather than being delayed...obviously subways can't pass each other).

Other than that, the problems are just hit or miss I think, and maybe you've just been on a string of bad luck. I've been taking it everyday for a couple of years now and there have been a few times I had to take the regional rail home due to problems. And one time I was kicked off at Girard due to problems and had to take the 23 from Girard Avenue.

One thing that has irritated me for a long time is that the route 23 will switch drivers at Germantown and Butler (one block north of Erie Ave.). And there seems to be a whole lot of times that the relieving driver just doesn't show up. And nobody knows what to do and there is apparently in 2019 no way SEPTA could have communicated this beforehand to their driver.

What usually winds up happening is the driver stays there holding up traffic until the next 23 shows up. And whoever can fit on that next 23 gets on. But a whole lot of people usually can't, since the 23 is crowded. And then everyone else just gets off the bus and waits for an even later 23.

So stupid and so unnecessarily chaotic. And no apparent desire to fix an obvious weak spot.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
One thing that has irritated me for a long time is that the route 23 will switch drivers at Germantown and Butler (one block north of Erie Ave.). And there seems to be a whole lot of times that the relieving driver just doesn't show up. And nobody knows what to do and there is apparently in 2019 no way SEPTA could have communicated this beforehand to their driver.

What usually winds up happening is the driver stays there holding up traffic until the next 23 shows up. And whoever can fit on that next 23 gets on. But a whole lot of people usually can't, since the 23 is crowded. And then everyone else just gets off the bus and waits for an even later 23.

So stupid and so unnecessarily chaotic. And no apparent desire to fix an obvious weak spot.
I heard this one from a friend. SEPTA needs a leader who focuses on customer service and customer experience. Someone from another transit agency who thinks about these things. I have no doubt that SEPTA's ranks are filled with workers and managers who are used to thinking about running trains/buses and keeping the agency alive in a time of reduced funding. It's now that SEPTA should be closely training its workers who interact with customers to think about the customers and quality communication.

I recently provided feedback to SEPTA after sitting on a Regional Rail train unmoved for 10 minutes. No communication about why we were stopped or what to expect. When I reported that conductors and/or engineers should say "something" to passengers after sitting more than 5 minutes, the customer support person stated that the train made up time and was not technically late per national reporting standards. I had to email back and say, "it's common courtesy to communicate with passengers when sitting for a period of time, and I would think SEPTA would want to be courteous to its passengers so they continue to see its services as a valuable option for traversing the city and metro. And I am not saying that the issue is that the train was late per national standards, but I do know I sat around not knowing what was going on while the conductor played on his phone. Maybe SEPTA can ask its staff to communicate during delays?" They basically came back and said, "oh, that's a good point." Really?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:28 AM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
How about getting rid of subway booth attendants, the rudest and most useless employees in all of SEPTA.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:37 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mnior nit: The SEPTA system has always operated 24 hours, 7 days a week. The rapid transit lines haven't since the early 1990s, when their hours were cut back to 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. (start of first trip to end of last trip) as a cost-saving move. But when the subway-elevated lines aren't running, Nite Owl buses take their place. The advance was to restore 24/7 subway-elevated service on the weekends; I actually argued against that in a Phillymag essay I wrote in 2013, saying the money would be better spent adding more 24-hour bus routes to the all-night network to serve parts of the city without such service.

As for extending Regional Rail service beyond the five Southeastern Pennsylvania counties, saying "politics" keeps this from happening is true, sort of, but not in the way Sammy215267 probably meant it. Keep in mind that the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority has the authority to operate service only in the five counties that comprise its service territory. Other agencies are charged with providing transit service in Lancaster (Red Rose Transit), Reading (Berks and Reading Transportation Authority), and Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton (Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority). SEPTA can't simply extend service outside its own territory without having someone else agree to pick up the operating subsidies, as the State of Delaware does for Regional Rail service in New Castle County. That would have had to happen had the "Schuylkill Valley Metro" proposal the agency considered in the early 1990s advanced past the idea stage as well.
How about explaining to wanderer34, what a mess the MTA and the WMATA are compared to Septa management? Not that he or she will care, but go for it anyway.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM

6,216 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I heard this one from a friend. SEPTA needs a leader who focuses on customer service and customer experience.
SEPTA had one of these, and I think he's still there.

His name is Kim Scott Heinle, and he is SEPTA's Assistant General Manager for Customer Service.

Obviously, there are still Issues, as your story indicates, but he has done a great job at getting the frontline staff to be more service-oriented and customer-friendly.

Why the operations people still seem ignorant of the value of full communication is a good question.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
SEPTA had one of these, and I think he's still there.

His name is Kim Scott Heinle, and he is SEPTA's Assistant General Manager for Customer Service.

Obviously, there are still Issues, as your story indicates, but he has done a great job at getting the frontline staff to be more service-oriented and customer-friendly.

Why the operations people still seem ignorant of the value of full communication is a good question.
I've seen the dynamic of technical/operational people viewing the customer as an adversary (or even enemy) across multiple industries. I think it's a "band of brothers" concept that serves to create a relationship among those in the rank/file, but it's generally toxic and it takes real leadership to instill the value of the customer. Management has to break the use of that type of glue among its staff and encourage a more inclusive environment where people collaborate to serve and assist the customer. This usually shakes out some people, as the worst offenders of this type of negativity won't make it. But it's the only way to change the culture, and the reality is that these offenders contribute less than previously thought in many cases.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There's track working going on between Fairmount and Spring Garden stations. That is the likely cause. There's also been some local trains switched to the express track.

Look at the BSL schedule which recently had alerts for trains not stopping at Fairmount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia