U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:31 PM

4,440 posts, read 1,688,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Everything but the Broad Street Line (which has operated well under its capacity from Opening Day 1927 up to the present) is crowded at rush hour. Your point being...?

Your original complaint was that you "[couldn't] catch a bus from University City to Center City or the Northeast." I (and one other person) pointed out why that was not really a good idea (or use of resources on SEPTA's part) when the El is right there. Then I just added the 21 and 42, both of which connect U-City and Center City, to refute the Center City part of your complaint. Now you're moving the goalposts.
No I said a bus from University City OR Center city to Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:22 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Septa should reconsider the spur off of the BSL up the Roosevelt blvd to the northeast as it was originally planned in the 60s but scrapped because of funding and politics.
While there are some residents who want a subway, the majority of the residents in the Northeast don't want it. They seem to be content with going to their closest regional rail station and catching the train from there to get where they need to go.

I know I may get a lot of criticism for this statement but I would rather see transit projects like the King of Prussia rail line, the Reading line, and the West Chester extension be completed before SEPTA ever decides to build a subway in the Northeast. Why spend billions on a subway where most of the people who live there don't want it? I would much rather see the BSL be extended further south. The former Mayor Rizzo choosing to build the Center City Commuter Connection instead of the Northeast subway was one of the best moves he had ever done as mayor.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-30-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 PM

6,216 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
No I said a bus from University City OR Center city to Northeast
Then I go back to my prior statement: Why? The El is faster.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
While there are some residents who want a subway, the majority of the residents in the Northeast don't want it. They seem to be content with going to their closest regional rail station and catching the train from there to get where they need to go.

I know I may get a lot of criticism for this statement but I would rather see transit projects like the King of Prussia rail line, the Reading line, and the West Chester extension be completed before SEPTA ever decides to build a subway in the Northeast. Why spend billions on a subway where most of the people who live there don't want it? I would much rather see the BSL be extended further south. The former Mayor Rizzo choosing to build the Center City Commuter Connection instead of the Northeast subway was one of the best moves he had ever done as mayor.
I think the sentiment among Northeast residents has changed since Rizzo was mayor.

Not to mention that the demographics of the Northeast have changed too. Yes, it remains the place where a lot of the white working class moved to get away from Them, but it's become more polyglot, especially in its lower reaches.

The city did study transit alternatives for the Boulevard corridor in 1993, and a subway came out on top.

The only parts of the Northeast that are served adequately by Regional Rail are the neighborhoods close to the Delaware, Fox Chase and Somerton. I don't know what the passenger counts are, but I do doubt that anyone living within a mile of the Boulevard on either side of it travels over to the Delaware unless it's to get onto I-95.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:57 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
I think the sentiment among Northeast residents has changed since Rizzo was mayor.

Not to mention that the demographics of the Northeast have changed too. Yes, it remains the place where a lot of the white working class moved to get away from Them, but it's become more polyglot, especially in its lower reaches.

The city did study transit alternatives for the Boulevard corridor in 1993, and a subway came out on top.

The only parts of the Northeast that are served adequately by Regional Rail are the neighborhoods close to the Delaware, Fox Chase and Somerton. I don't know what the passenger counts are, but I do doubt that anyone living within a mile of the Boulevard on either side of it travels over to the Delaware unless it's to get onto I-95.
If you have spent anytime in the Far Northeast you would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not like your Northwest Philly.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If you have spent anytime in the Far Northeast you would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not like your Northwest Philly.
Not the Far Northeast, but I lived for 18 months off Oxford Circle.

That's the part of the Northeast that's become a little United Nations.

I do have a friend who grew up in a subdivision above Franklin (now Philadelphia) Mills (which was a horse racing track when the subdivision was built). He's spent most of his life since then trying to transcend that.

My friends include the owner of the Grey Lodge Pub in Mayfair and Fox Chase's Hop Angel Brauhaus and the owner of the Sawtown Tavern in Tacony and his partner.

I don't think I've met many of the people you're talking about - I wouldn't class Al Taubenberger with that group - but I think I know who they are, as I alluded to earlier. I think they're less representative of the entire Northeast now than they were when the city last attempted to build the BSS Northeast Spur in the 1970s. They are definitely not representative of the Northeast below Cottman Avenue anymore, Mayfair notwithstanding.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Then I go back to my prior statement: Why? The El is faster.
I don't like the atmosphere of the EL or BSL

Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I don't like the atmosphere of the EL or BSL
Lol, why?

Old 12-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Lol, why?
The seating which forces you to look in a strangers face along with all the weirdos.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Quote:
Not the Far Northeast, but I lived for 18 months off Oxford Circle.

That's the part of the Northeast that's become a little United Nations.

I do have a friend who grew up in a subdivision above Franklin (now Philadelphia) Mills (which was a horse racing track when the subdivision was built). He's spent most of his life since then trying to transcend that.

My friends include the owner of the Grey Lodge Pub in Mayfair and Fox Chase's Hop Angel Brauhaus and the owner of the Sawtown Tavern in Tacony and his partner.

I don't think I've met many of the people you're talking about - I wouldn't class Al Taubenberger with that group - but I think I know who they are, as I alluded to earlier. I think they're less representative of the entire Northeast now than they were when the city last attempted to build the BSS Northeast Spur in the 1970s. They are definitely not representative of the Northeast below Cottman Avenue anymore, Mayfair notwithstanding.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the latter portion of the Northeast. It's a very large swath of land and heavily populated. After what's transitioned in the lower Northeast areas, many of the residents of the upper middle to far Northeast have been on a low-key push to not let the rest of turn that way. Loud- Shaming residents who want to rent properties to Section 8, and low income residents, as well as rasing rents , and screening with a microscope, etc. I don't see a subway anytime soon. ( 10-20 years.)

Also, as much as like Oxford circle and the NE in general, you have to admit that " The Circle" as the kids call it., Is a bit sketchy and other parts to include Frankford, Holmesburg, and Tacony have become extensions of North Philly for sure. I don't want to see a Subway/El up there nor in the Northwest sections of the city.
Maybe with some of the existing rail lines, whether their owned by SEPTA or Conrail and restored with some mordern day improvements might work within certain parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia