Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:28 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The seating which forces you to look in a strangers face along with all the weirdos.
Nobody looks at each other on the subways. It's general social norm to avoid eye contact or staring. Plus, it's a city. Weirdos are par for the course anywhere you go, buses most certainly included. Just ignore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Nobody looks at each other on the subways. It's general social norm to avoid eye contact or staring. Plus, it's a city. Weirdos are par for the course anywhere you go, buses most certainly included. Just ignore them.
Some Americans seem to be hung up on things like "friendiness" even in absurd situations like riding public transportation. Or are shaken by weirdos. As you say ",just ignore it".

Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
The seating which forces you to look in a strangers face along with all the weirdos.
Just do what most people do nowadays: find something to look at on your phone if it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:08 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
I rarely do this, but:

Snowflake.

Yeah, the break dancers on the Broad Street Line get old, as do the panhandlers on the El after traffic gets light (MFL cars are too narrow for break-dancing in the aisle and too crowded during the day for panhandlers to work them).

But if you're a regular on these lines, you learn how to tune them out. I use the BSL every day (except those Sundays when I don't go into Center City).

Okay, I do understand what you're talking about, though that business about looking at strangers is really no different on a crowded bus IMO, and I don't see what's so creepy about that. But buses are highly inefficient when it comes to moving large numbers of people all at once. That's why we have the subways and elevateds instead.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I rarely do this, but:

Snowflake.

Yeah, the break dancers on the Broad Street Line get old, as do the panhandlers on the El after traffic gets light (MFL cars are too narrow for break-dancing in the aisle and too crowded during the day for panhandlers to work them).

But if you're a regular on these lines, you learn how to tune them out. I use the BSL every day (except those Sundays when I don't go into Center City).

Okay, I do understand what you're talking about, though that business about looking at strangers is really no different on a crowded bus IMO, and I don't see what's so creepy about that. But buses are highly inefficient when it comes to moving large numbers of people all at once. That's why we have the subways and elevateds instead.
There is one bus that goes to Northeast from Center City which I think travels on 3rd or 4th street. I just found out that after living in my neighborhood for 2 years that it's a bus that takes me from University City to delaware Ave

Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I rarely do this, but:

Snowflake.

In theory it's absolutely fine to pay attention to folks around you; people should. But most of us roll with folks you encounter or see on the MFL or BSL. It's just part of being on these lines. On the MTA I have seen people "pleasuring" themselves and a guy punch someone in the face for no apparent reason. Will it stop me riding the subway in NYC? Of course not. Same thing here.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
In theory it's absolutely fine to pay attention to folks around you; people should. But most of us roll with folks you encounter or see on the MFL or BSL. It's just part of being on these lines. On the MTA I have seen people "pleasuring" themselves and a guy punch someone in the face for no apparent reason. Will it stop me riding the subway in NYC? Of course not. Same thing here.
Times I rode on the el, L or subway ..... no one looked at each other or even all around or out the windows if locals. No big city. Only a visitor/tourist as myself did or other visitors too in taking in the experience and seeing all kinds of people and ethnicities. It may as well be seen as in a library. Just one a bit more mechanically noisy. Everyone was listening to music with ear pieces or on their phones .... or staring into thin-air.

But of course... if it is going to happen on a train? No doubt expect it all and anything on a NYC line. No one who road it even once. Would expect Philly to be much different. Still everything Philly gets compared to mighty NYC. Not DC or other cities. No one mentioned even Boston. Still from workers for any system .... you expect minimums. You notice things if it is unexpected if they can't be helpful and come of as rude. Helpful at least ..... even without smiles is a minimum. I also like the automated announcing on trains in some cities. Just keeps things normal and expected.

Every city is unique ..... yet similar. Just subtle differences can really stand out if it has shock value and seen as a negative. Hate in the trade topic of SEPTA ..... is a strong world a visitor wouldn't use. That is a local thing.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Still everything Philly gets compared to mighty NYC. Not DC or other cities. No one mentioned even Boston.
I will now, with a stat that should surprise everyone here:

The total route-miles for SEPTA's and the MBTA's heavy-rail rapid-transit networks are just about the same. Boston edges out Philadelphia by 1.3 route-miles: 38 vs. 36.7. The preceding figure includes the Norristown High-Speed Line as well as the city rapid transit lines. Add PATCO's 14-mile-long Lindenwold Line and the mileage figure tips in Philadelphia's favor: 50.7 vs. 38.

These figures do not include the light rail networks in either city.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Regional Rail is such an oddly missed opportunity for SEPTA. The Philadelphia Commuter Rail tunnel has four tracks and generally never used anywhere near its mass capacity though it can easily handle having traincars run every ten to fifteen minute. There's the South 25th street viaduct that gets barely any use and can easily bring mass rail transit to that party of the city. There's the barely off north-south and east-west stations of North Philadelphia and North Broad which can be co-located closer to each other and be used as a transfer and the area as a secondary downtown and east-west trains can easily connect to make a line that goes through that area. There's also the fact that if the Philadelphia Commuter Rail tunnel ever ran at full capacity, 30th Street Station actually has a through-running lower platform portion that Amtrak and NJ Transit use that can easily take on more capacity.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Regional Rail is such an oddly missed opportunity for SEPTA. The Philadelphia Commuter Rail tunnel has four tracks and generally never used anywhere near its mass capacity though it can easily handle having traincars run every ten to fifteen minute. There's the South 25th street viaduct that gets barely any use and can easily bring mass rail transit to that party of the city. There's the barely off north-south and east-west stations of North Philadelphia and North Broad which can be co-located closer to each other and be used as a transfer and the area as a secondary downtown and east-west trains can easily connect to make a line that goes through that area. There's also the fact that if the Philadelphia Commuter Rail tunnel ever ran at full capacity, 30th Street Station actually has a through-running lower platform portion that Amtrak and NJ Transit use that can easily take on more capacity.

Those are the tracks I was speaking of. I believe that they can be greatly utilized. As the city continues to grow, and spread outwardly from the core, then these things will surely be needed. Even light rail line similar to the Sharon Hill line, if they cannot use commuter trains, or existing El/Subway types of cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia