Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 PM

111 posts, read 68,721 times

Advertisements

HATE it!! It's the worst idea in all of North America, lol. Why do I have to tour the entire store if I need to buy just a couple of items? I want to be able to go right to a checkout cashier of my choice and be in and out in less than ten minutes. That's why I opt to shop TJ's in Jenkintown or Ardmore. They don't queue up their customers and have them move around the entire store before they are assigned the next available cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM

288 posts, read 244,910 times
...it's called the city. You know, a densely populated area with wait for it....PEOPLE!! That TJ's is small and is in the heart of Rittenhouse/Center City. If you don't like it, go further up to Whole Foods. Or do what my wife and I used to do: I walk in, immediately get on line and my wife flutters around the store and drops things in the cart as I move in line.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
The line is usually only that long on weekends. Sat/Sun are crazy busy in that store. And, the one, long line is better for controlling traffic flow in the aisles. I've seen it snake literally all around the perimeter AND up and down three aisles. And as long as the line is, it moves really quickly...considering.

The bottom line is if you don't like a long line -- at any store where you shop -- then don't shop when they're the busiest. Weekday late afternoons -- say after work -- is busier than mid-day, but not as busy as the weekends, when at times the store even has to limit people coming in, until some people leave.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
HATE it!! It's the worst idea in all of North America, lol. Why do I have to tour the entire store if I need to buy just a couple of items? I want to be able to go right to a checkout cashier of my choice and be in and out in less than ten minutes. That's why I opt to shop TJ's in Jenkintown or Ardmore. They don't queue up their customers and have them move around the entire store before they are assigned the next available cashier.
Well the line is always moving fast

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The line is usually only that long on weekends. Sat/Sun are crazy busy in that store. And, the one, long line is better for controlling traffic flow in the aisles. I've seen it snake literally all around the perimeter AND up and down three aisles. And as long as the line is, it moves really quickly...considering.

The bottom line is if you don't like a long line -- at any store where you shop -- then don't shop when they're the busiest. Weekday late afternoons -- say after work -- is busier than mid-day, but not as busy as the weekends, when at times the store even has to limit people coming in, until some people leave.
One of the cashiers in TJ told me that Thursday is the best night to shop to avoid crowds.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
That snake line actually helps get people through the store faster believe it or not. Before they had that, it was too chaotic.

Lunch hour and morning is the best time and the day after super heavy rain or on a rainy or extremely snowy day, less people are likely to show up. It might actually be faster for you to get your few items in a suburban Trader Joe's with the drive back and forth than to wait in the snaky line.

It's too bad TJs can't implement the same type of upgraded scanners that Aldi's has now.
That, however, might make people lose their jobs too

Tues- Thurs. might be your best best for an evening as people usually try to prepare for the weekend or play "catch up" on Monday I think outside of regular business office work hours.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
It's too bad TJs can't implement the same type of upgraded scanners that Aldi's has now.
What the company really needs to do is have another TJs (at least ONE more) in the city.
East of Broad...Old City, Society Hill....even that far east would alleviate some of the traffic at the 22nd Street store.
I think the Northeast would lap up a TJs also. But TJs is very particular about its locations.....

(Rhetorically) Do you know how long there've been rumors about Tjs having another store in Philly? YEEEARS.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
What the company really needs to do is have another TJs (at least ONE more) in the city.
East of Broad...Old City, Society Hill....even that far east would alleviate some of the traffic at the 22nd Street store.
I think the Northeast would lap up a TJs also. But TJs is very particular about its locations.....

(Rhetorically) Do you know how long there've been rumors about Tjs having another store in Philly? YEEEARS.
This is correct. Unfortunately, outside of California, Trader Joe's has cultivated being a destination, with people traveling to the store. A German poster told me that one of the sons of the founder of Aldi Nord was in charge of Trader Joe's. He died & the family has been having problems with demands from his widow.

The destination thing is going to come back & bite Trader Joe's. They should be building a 2nd Trader Joe's in Center City right now. If Lidl goes into a location in or near Center City, Trader Joe's will be boxed in. Lidl goes after both Aldis.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM

^^ Oh, I get that. But I also get what the OP is saying. And the line at TJs on weekends IS crazy. I used to work there. I know.

If Whole Foods has figured out that CC Philly -- let's even say -- broader "downtown Philly" or Philly from Girard to Washington Avenue, U of P to Delaware Ave. -- can support two stores....(and a Spouts AND a MOM's) why won't TJs give us a second store. It's crazy that it won't. Surely some cities can support exceptions to a general philosophy.

But then again, most of the time I, myself, go to other, suburban TJs even though they're farther away. So putting one on the East side of broad -- while it sure as heck would help people in CC -- wouldn't help me a bit. Unless it was down by the Ikea/Lowes/Best Buy/AC Moore on So. Delaware Ave. (Columbus Blvd). I would go there.) But IF there was going to be a TJs is should likely be further north.....I don't know.....wherever they put it ....it would do well, IMO.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
^^ Oh, I get that. But I also get what the OP is saying. And the line at TJs on weekends IS crazy. I used to work there. I know.

If Whole Foods has figured out that CC Philly -- let's even say -- broader "downtown Philly" or Philly from Girard to Washington Avenue, U of P to Delaware Ave. -- can support two stores....(and a Spouts AND a MOM's) why won't TJs give us a second store. It's crazy that it won't. Surely some cities can support exceptions to a general philosophy.

But then again, most of the time I, myself, go to other, suburban TJs even though they're farther away. So putting one on the East side of broad -- while it sure as heck would help people in CC -- wouldn't help me a bit. Unless it was down by the Ikea/Lowes/Best Buy/AC Moore on So. Delaware Ave. (Columbus Blvd). I would go there.) But IF there was going to be a TJs is should likely be further north.....I don't know.....wherever they put it ....it would do well, IMO.
Do you ever go to the Trader Joe's in northern Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia