Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I read that the Lidl opens December 6th.

Yep. That would be a success also.
I really do think CC could use another grocery. What do the folks in Old City and N. Liberties (Soc Hill and Wash Sq.) have as a major grocer?
How is the MOM's Organic Market doing?
I loved the one near me when I lived in Maryland.

I liked the Lidl I went to, and if it were closer I could see it being a place I'd patronize.

I believe a study found the Lidl's prices a are actually lower (a bit) than TJs, Aldi's and Walmart. And Lidl has an in-store, bakery with "fresh baked" goods, and more produce and products overall than Aldi.
The Aldi & Lidl that I go to share an intersection. I can tell you that the prices vary. Some are lower at Aldi, some are lower at Lidl. Some are the same. The individual stores in head to head competition adjust prices, first with hand written signs, then the shelf prices are changed permanently. The only signs that stay hand written in both stores are the egg prices.

If Lidl goes into Center City, Trader Joe's line will decrease. The stores are not identical, but will be in competition. Let's not forget that Aldi is going into a location on North Broad. The remodeled Aldis are nicer than before with a bigger selection of inventory.

Trader Joe's will box themselves in if they don't move soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
^^ Oh well. If they don't do it, someone else will. They'll survive and others will thrive.

When I lived in Maryland, I pulled 'letters to the editor' clippings and wrote to TJ's showing there was support for a Trader Joes in my area. Never even got a form letter back. Never heard from them -- period. While I love TJs and patronize any TJs I'm near when I'm out and about, I'm done begging that management to locate in any given area.

If TJ's won't open another Philly store (East of Broad most likely) then so be it. Let's Lidl come and get all that business.
Trader Joe's won't hurt, and Lidl will succeed.

295, how is the MOMs doing at 11th and Ludlow....pretty well, I'd imagine.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
^^ Oh well. If they don't do it, someone else will. They'll survive and others will thrive.

When I lived in Maryland, I pulled 'letters to the editor' clippings and wrote to TJ's showing there was support for a Trader Joes in my area. Never even got a form letter back. Never heard from them -- period. While I love TJs and patronize any TJs I'm near when I'm out and about, I'm done begging that management to locate in any given area.

If TJ's won't open another Philly store (East of Broad most likely) then so be it. Let's Lidl come and get all that business.
Trader Joe's won't hurt, and Lidl will succeed.

295, how is the MOMs doing at 11th and Ludlow....pretty well, I'd imagine.
That I can't tell you. Several posters have posted about it, favorably, in the grocery thread.

My guess is that if Trader Joe's doesn't open another store quickly, the Aldi that's going to be opening on North Broad will siphon off business and if Lidl opens somewhere in Center City, they'll siphon off more. Lidl has to know that Trader Joe's is Aldi Nord. Any Aldi is like a magnet for Lidl. The first time I went into a Lidl was in Bitburg in Germany. Their front door was no more than 20 feet from an Aldi's front door.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 AM

111 posts, read 68,721 times
It's too bad TJs can't implement the same type of upgraded scanners that Aldi's has now.

What are these upgraded scanners of which you spoeak? How do they improve efficiency at Aldi?

Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 AM

111 posts, read 68,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
...it's called the city. You know, a densely populated area with wait for it....PEOPLE!! That TJ's is small and is in the heart of Rittenhouse/Center City. If you don't like it, go further up to Whole Foods. Or do what my wife and I used to do: I walk in, immediately get on line and my wife flutters around the store and drops things in the cart as I move in line.
Hey BK:

You missed the line in my message: "That's why I opt to shop TJ's in Jenkintown or Ardmore. "

Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
I can't stand TJ's lines. And I'm so happy that there are some really great markets opening in the city that relieve me from having to go there (The Fresh Market, Mom's, Sprouts).

I really can't stand when you're done shopping and you're trying to get into line, but some people are grazing and seemingly shopping in the line. So you ask them if they're in the line and they give you a snotty "yes". But they're shopping and the line moves and they're still putting stuff in their carts. Ugh, I don't plan to go back there any time in the future.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 AM

On the busiest days, yes, finding the end of the TJs line can mean slowly discovering that the lines is indeed -- "all the way back there."

It's the long line itself that can be frustrating. I'm not discounting anyone's person pet peeve. Lord knows we all have them. And I don't go to the CC TJ's most days either.

But technically whether a person is shopping while in line or not -- as long as no one gets in front of them -- and as long as they don't hold up the line while at the counter, you won't get out any faster. So what if the person is looking at a can of beans and the line moves up three feet, where are you moving up to? ...another three feet. It's not like they're actually delaying you getting to the counter...the line is still in front of them too.

On another note, I just found out TJs discontinued its house brand powered curry that I loved. Oh well....

Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
On the busiest days, yes, finding the end of the TJs line can mean slowly discovering that the lines is indeed -- "all the way back there."

It's the long line itself that can be frustrating. I'm not discounting anyone's person pet peeve. Lord knows we all have them. And I don't go to the CC TJ's most days either.

But technically whether a person is shopping while in line or not -- as long as no one gets in front of them -- and as long as they don't hold up the line while at the counter, you won't get out any faster. So what if the person is looking at a can of beans and the line moves up three feet, where are you moving up to? ...another three feet. It's not like they're actually delaying you getting to the counter...the line is still in front of them too.

On another note, I just found out TJs discontinued its house brand powered curry that I loved. Oh well....
I see people purposely get in line and actively shop. It's not like they're standing there bored and decide that they want to look at a can of beans standing next to them. It inflates the length of the line.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It inflates the length of the line.
Well, that's true. I hadn't thought of it that way. I've been told it's the only, or one of the only, TJs that does the one line thing. I've been to 7 TJs in four states and DC and have never seen the one line at any of those.

I was told the Market street store was soooo busy, and tight for space -- believe it or not the store was smaller when it opened, that it was decided one line was more manageable. If you think it's tight now, imagine -- pre-expansion -- trying to navigate through the front end with fourteen lines, one for each cashier.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM

273 posts, read 207,077 times
Thought the rumor was PMC was going to build something on the Trader Joe's parking lot and TJ's would be moving?

SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - PHILADELPHIA | Highrise Development Thread IX

larger discussion here: PHILADELPHIA | Highrise Development Thread IX - Page 896 - SkyscraperPage Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia