Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:43 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think Pat's and Geno's are pretty good and much better than what you would get at a typical pizza joint that uses those 8 oz frozen steaks.

Kyb, I like John's and Steve's too but I haven't had Cleavers or Delassandro's (despite driving by it a gazillion times over the years).
Cleavers is actually really good. That is where I take people new to Philadelphia if they are in the mood for a cheesesteak. And they are also always fascinated by the mac n cheese store next door (which is also really good).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
It's definitely a tourist / marketing thing. Every time someone from out of the area comes to visit us, they want to try Pat's & Geno's. They don't want the "good" cheeseteak from the awesome local place; they want to go to the place they've heard about and seen on every national sports broadcast. It's infuriating but there's nothing I can do about it.

(It's not that I think Pat's & Geno's are "bad" per se. They're fine. But if I'm having a cheesesteak, I really want it to be worth my while.)
Just goes to show how brain-washed people are. Sigh.

How insane is it to trust crap advice they get on tv as opposed to actually believing someone who lives here??

Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

How insane is it to trust crap advice they get on tv as opposed to actually believing someone who lives here??
lol, I don't know if I would call it insanity so much as taking the easiest route.,

Case in point, I'm going to Greece in 2019 (yeah baby). I've never been and don't know anyone who is Greek.
So with every vacation I am researching.

1) I picked up a travel book (Fodors) on Greece and the islands
2) I'm scouring travel sites on the internet. lonely planet, tripadvisors, Santorini Dave
3) I'm interviewing travel agents.

Now all three of these things are going to "skew" toward the bigger more advertised venues. I'm more of an introvert when I travel solo, so in reality the probability of me walking up to a stranger and asking the best place to get a authentic Greek meal is very slim. I will ask at the hotel concierge but just asking some random citizen, sorry it's not going to happen.

I'm hitting Athens and Mykenos and I've asked a few questions here. I've also found some you tube videos from folks who have been to Greece

Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

When locals mock still Philly institutions promoted even by the city and travel sights on Philly places to visit..... It certainly doesn't help the city if locals lessen it. A tourist utilizes sights to find attractions for a visit. Apparently they are at least decent.

But any place that uses a Chez-whiz type cheese ..... is mediocre to me.

Just read this on MSN homepage.

Chicagoans, rejoice! Beloved hot dog joint named America's favorite restaurant

Though this now chain had modest roots on Chicago's south-side. This flagship one downtown is a tourist draw. Part of the reason is probably the workers behind the counter entertain you while the dog or Italian beef is made. They sing and joke and have super-personalities. Another reason they got high marks to win.

Not that it matters .... but virtually all working there are African-American locals. Same thing in another hot-dog joint I hit when there .... on that city's north-side. Pleasant workers and does live up to the hype .... but just a small stand with outdoor seating in better weather. Just never ask for ketchup on one anywhere there.

I doubt anyone doubts there are great Cheesesteak places .... all over Philly. But general tourist still depend on travel sights and good feedback such as this Chicago one received to continue to boost tourism. Hopefully they find great ones in CC and the places like the - Reading Terminal Market.

I've never been to Pat's or Geno's. But going by comments here .... faghetaboutit. I won't be. I've had others and they were fine. But a city NEEDS these hyped places that say ..... ther city is UNIQUE and these are TOP EXAMPLES. Sorry to hear they really are not...... Every tourist isn't going to search the city on ther own and for some .... it is BETTER they stick to the tourist hyped spots till return visits at least.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I don't know if I would call it insanity so much as taking the easiest route.,

Case in point, I'm going to Greece in 2019 (yeah baby). I've never been and don't know anyone who is Greek.

2) I'm scouring travel sites on the internet. lonely planet, tripadvisors, Santorini Dave

Now all three of these things are going to "skew" toward the bigger more advertised venues. I'm more of an introvert when I travel solo, so in reality the probability of me walking up to a stranger and asking the best place to get a authentic Greek meal is very slim. I will ask at the hotel concierge but just asking some random citizen, sorry it's not going to happen.

I'm hitting Athens and Mykenos and I've asked a few questions here. I've also found some you tube videos from folks who have been to Greece
Agreed, I think it is a combination of the easiest route and the fact that the tourists can say they were there. If you're a tourist watching football on national TV and they show Pat's and Geno's, wouldn't you rather tell your friends you were at that very establishment as opposed to explaining you got a delicious sandwich at a place named Tommy's in some back alley in some neighborhood you can't remember...?

Enjoy Greece! It's a really beautiful place.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
When locals mock still Philly institutions promoted even by the city and travel sights on Philly places to visit..... It certainly doesn't help the city if locals lessen it. A tourist utilizes sights to find attractions for a visit. Apparently they are at least decent.

But any place that uses a Chez-whiz type cheese ..... is mediocre to me.

Just read this on MSN homepage.

Chicagoans, rejoice! Beloved hot dog joint named America's favorite restaurant

Though this now chain had modest roots on Chicago's south-side. This flagship one downtown is a tourist draw. Part of the reason is probably the workers behind the counter entertain you while the dog or Italian beef is made. They sing and joke and have super-personalities. Another reason they got high marks to win.

Not that it matters .... but virtually all working there are African-American locals. Same thing in another hot-dog joint I hit when there .... on that city's north-side. Pleasant workers and does live up to the hype .... but just a small stand with outdoor seating in better weather. Just never ask for ketchup on one anywhere there.

I doubt anyone doubts there are great Cheesesteak places .... all over Philly. But general tourist still depend on travel sights and good feedback such as this Chicago one received to continue to boost tourism. Hopefully they find great ones in CC and the places like the - Reading Terminal Market.

I've never been to Pat's or Geno's. But going by comments here .... faghetaboutit. I won't be. I've had others and they were fine. But a city NEEDS these hyped places that say ..... ther city is UNIQUE and these are TOP EXAMPLES. Sorry to hear they really are not...... Every tourist isn't going to search the city on ther own and for some .... it is BETTER they stick to the tourist hyped spots till return visits at least.
I wouldn't sweat it Dave. Both Pat's and Geno's receive strong hype regardless of what is discussed on this board. They don't lack for positive national publicity or business as can be seen on any weekend day/night or vacation/holiday season.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I won't go to Genos or Pats. I MAY go to Jims, and Tony Lukes, but prefer Nicks Roast Beef, and Dalessandro's.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

You are going to a foreign country where you don't speak the language on a solo journey. Sounds fantastic and the kind of thing I have done a few times.

Btw, the owners of John's and City View Pizza on Spring Garden St are Greek-American. You know where these places are, I'm sure. Zorba's on Fairmount Ave, which has been there for years...but okay you aren't friends with any Greek people is what
you mean.

This sounds like an amazing trip tbh. I've never been to Greece. I've been to Egypt which was humbling and staggering to take in emotionally.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Agreed, I think it is a combination of the easiest route and the fact that the tourists can say they were there. If you're a tourist watching football on national TV and they show Pat's and Geno's, wouldn't you rather tell your friends you were at that very establishment as opposed to explaining you got a delicious sandwich at a place named Tommy's in some back alley in some neighborhood you can't remember...?

Enjoy Greece! It's a really beautiful place.
I suppose the fact that they are across from each is part of the attraction too.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
As a semi-regular visitor, I have never been to Pat's or Geno's---but I love Cleavers. I go there once per visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia