U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 04:59 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,143,679 times

Advertisements

Statue is officially gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,823,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Regardless of those who disagree, this (along with Iowa rep Steve King losing) is a step in the right direction.

I had mentioned on a FB that a local artist should be commissioned to create a replacement, possible something representing the people of Philadelphia.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:35 AM

1,360 posts, read 864,304 times
The city must have realized it is not feasible to continue guarding the statue.

Quote:

Old 06-03-2020, 07:42 AM

108 posts, read 16,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Biden doesn't also suffer from the demonization HRC received for decades going back to her time as First Lady of Arkansas. She spent most of that time "adjusting" her image in order to get a fair shake from the media, which only served to make her appear inauthentic. And when I say demonization by the media, I'm not referring solely to Fox. Take a look: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/p...ic-editor.html.

In contrast, though gaffe-prone, Biden is an affable guy that doesn't engender the dissection HRC still undergoes. He comes across a sincere and authentic - an image he doesn't have to work to project. This gives him a leg up because it's work he won't need to do that HRC took on in 2016. He also doesn't have to work to come acorss as both a tough leader and an empathic person - a dance professional women in powerful positions do everyday in order to be effective. Us guys get away with a lot more than women.
A problem though is that even the Democrats demonized HRC in 2008.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-03-2020 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 08:05 AM

4,646 posts, read 2,321,088 times
Depends on who you talk to. At that time, crime was rampant in the city. Rizzo was a tough law and order guy and many people hated that. Many loved him because he made the city safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I obviously was not living in Philadelphia during Rizzo. In fact, I was not even alive. Everything I read of him leads me to believe he was in fact a horrible mayor. No real loss if the statue is damaged or lost, imo. Why do we still have it? Is it not just a reminder of Philadelphia's racist past?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,143,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Depends on who you talk to. At that time, crime was rampant in the city. Rizzo was a tough law and order guy and many people hated that. Many loved him because he made the city safe.

I guess the critique of this is that the city wasn't safe and in fact continued to get more dangerous after him. Using fear and intimidation didn't work and only exasperated the problem.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 AM

108 posts, read 16,579 times
Quote:
Crime was rampant as was racial urban destruction. Philly had its little 1964 riot and was lucky it was in '64 and limited to a small area, the same area still recovering from it 56 years later. Philly didn't burn like many cities did. Had it burned up in the '60s, Philly could easily be under a million population wise.

Would we have seen what went down in Center City on May 30 now going on throughout the city if we had a Frank Rizzo in control? Currently there is no control let alone leadership in city hall, the DA, and the police commissioner.

The mob wanted that statue for sure. Not pro or con statue on my part but seeing a mob like that on Saturday was wild.

I watched the whole thing go down on Saturday, from Municipal Bldg through the looting and ANTIFA control of Samson between 15th-16th Streets. It was a scene from a 3rd world country.

The flash-breakdown of control is the most ominous warning here. City residents and business owners have to fend for themselves. Center City is allegedly secured but wasn't on Saturday night into Sunday. The rest of the city still on its own for the most part.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-03-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 08:50 AM

4,646 posts, read 2,321,088 times
I dont think the city got more dangerous under him. The ones saying that were the pro criminal types that expected them to be handled with "kid gloves". As far as him being racist? thats still up for debate. Many a black people liked him even though they could never say that in public without getting lashed at by the left. He had their support back in 1991 when he was running again before he died.

Quote:
I guess the critique of this is that the city wasn't safe and in fact continued to get more dangerous after him. Using fear and intimidation didn't work and only exasperated the problem.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 AM

632 posts, read 476,235 times
Quote:
I dont think the city got more dangerous under him. The ones saying that were the pro criminal types that expected them to be handled with "kid gloves". As far as him being racist? thats still up for debate. Many a black people liked him even though they could never say that in public without getting lashed at by the left. He had their support back in 1991 when he was running again before he died.
Crime increased during his two terms. Property crime went way up and violent crime was higher at the end of his tenure than at the beginning. His “law and order” reputation stems from his presiding over a police force that intimidated, beat and killed black people, not from actually reducing crime; something he didn’t accomplish. However, he did oversee the killing of more than 150 civilians most of whom were unarmed. He falsified crime statistics and the police department was so out of control that the federal government had to intervene.

The idea that he had many black supporters is laughable. Rizzo only won elections in which white voters were a majority of the electorate. If he had black support he wouldn’t have lost twice to Wilson Goode. He sure as heck wasn’t going to get the black vote over Rendell in 1991 had he not died.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM

7,298 posts, read 8,407,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
A problem though is that even the Democrats demonized HRC in 2008.
I note another new username. I don’t know if you are referring to her 2016 presidential run or her 2008 her primary run against Obama. Either way, my post applies.

Not “the” Democrats, but some Democrats bought the horsesh!t the media churned out. Basically Hillary really rocked the boat when early in her tenure as First Lady, she made the following comment: “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession.” Hillary is a Yale educated lawyer, and probably the first time a First Lady was at least as accomplished and capable as her husband upon entering office.

Never one to pass up an opportunity, the press had a field day hammering the message that Hillary looked down on homemakers. In 1992, women were given even less latitude than they are today to not fit the homemaker model of the 1950s. It’s no coincidence that MAGA harkens us back to those better times when everyone knew their place.

Subsequent to cookigate, Hillary was lambasted for playing outside her sandbox when she led the health care initiative. From there, everything from her hairstyle to her laugh were dissected and found severely wanting. And let’s not forget the press coverage of claims she killed Vince Foster in addition to running a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza shop in DC during her 2016 presidential run (in a building without a basement, btw).

This really is a small sampling of her press coverage, but it’s enough to give insight into the nasty politics run against her and the gullibility of a slice of American society to swallow it. It also emboldened misogynists to oppose her without appearing as hateful liars. And for the record, you don’t need to be a male to be a misogynist.

Yet despite all of this, she won the popular vote in 2016 by 3 million votes after a poorly run campaign. Pretty remarkable statement about her capabilities and appeal, as far as I’m concerned.

I realize this is way OT, but since you put it out there, I thought I’d respond.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-03-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia