U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:30 PM

803 posts, read 624,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The thing that stands out to me about this photo is all the white people.

This protest turned riot wasn’t about George Lloyd. It was anarchist pieces of trash seizing an opportunity
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Seems to be true throughout the country.
Everything about these race riots is agenda driven. It was not a race issue. It was a police brutality issue. This cop deserves to be in jail for the rest of his life, sure, but now they are just jumping on the bandwagon and playing the race card. I am so disgusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 AM

266 posts, read 138,664 times
Not sure how you don't understand how intertwined race and police brutality are, but go on.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:10 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,143,679 times
Frank Rizzo leaves a legacy of unchecked police brutality and division in Philadelphia

Interesting read.

Quote:
..Rizzo had allowed the Police Department to operate with little accountability, leading to an environment where police shot civilians at a rate of one per week between 1970 and 1978.
Quote:
In 1979, the U.S. Department of Justice filed a civil rights lawsuit against the entire Philadelphia Police Department for a barrage of disturbing practices, including shooting nonviolent suspects, beating people while they were handcuffed, and using a “purposely fragmented system” for internal investigations that ensured civilian complaints didn’t go far
Quote:
study completed that same year by Churchill and the Public Interest Law Center found more problems: In 1978, Philadelphia police had shot 17 unarmed people, killing eight. In one confrontation, an officer shot and killed a man who was naked, armed only with a tree limb.
Quote:
David Kairys, a professor emeritus at Temple University Law School who legally clashed with Rizzo over police misconduct in the 1960s, said the impact was severe on the city’s reputation. “We became more famous for police misconduct than we were for cheesesteaks,” Kairys said.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:41 AM

7,298 posts, read 8,407,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Frank Rizzo mural now too.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...hilly/2419026/

The mural is not on city-owned property, so I had less of an interest in seeing it removed. I can avoid the market or not purchase from the building owner. Glad it's going, nonetheless.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 AM

108 posts, read 16,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I note another new username. I don’t know if you are referring to her 2016 presidential run or her 2008 her primary run against Obama. Either way, my post applies.

Not “the” Democrats, but some Democrats bought the horsesh!t the media churned out. Basically Hillary really rocked the boat when early in her tenure as First Lady, she made the following comment: “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession.” Hillary is a Yale educated lawyer, and probably the first time a First Lady was at least as accomplished and capable as her husband upon entering office.

Never one to pass up an opportunity, the press had a field day hammering the message that Hillary looked down on homemakers. In 1992, women were given even less latitude than they are today to not fit the homemaker model of the 1950s. It’s no coincidence that MAGA harkens us back to those better times when everyone knew their place.

Subsequent to cookigate, Hillary was lambasted for playing outside her sandbox when she led the health care initiative. From there, everything from her hairstyle to her laugh were dissected and found severely wanting. And let’s not forget the press coverage of claims she killed Vince Foster in addition to running a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza shop in DC during her 2016 presidential run (in a building without a basement, btw).

This really is a small sampling of her press coverage, but it’s enough to give insight into the nasty politics run against her and the gullibility of a slice of American society to swallow it. It also emboldened misogynists to oppose her without appearing as hateful liars. And for the record, you don’t need to be a male to be a misogynist.

Yet despite all of this, she won the popular vote in 2016 by 3 million votes after a poorly run campaign. Pretty remarkable statement about her capabilities and appeal, as far as I’m concerned.

I realize this is way OT, but since you put it out there, I thought I’d respond.
Quick OT response: i liked Hillary but still a bit salty of how she was treated by many Dems in her 2008 run, that's all.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM

6,950 posts, read 3,348,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
Quick OT response: i liked Hillary but still a bit salty of how she was treated by many Dems in her 2008 run, that's all.
Or do I share your politics after all?

Old 06-06-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's going DOWN!!!!
A large crowd of mostly white ''kids''...lol

Old 06-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Or do I share your politics after all?
Yes, the mystery deepens...stay tuned. lol

Old 06-06-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Losing thousands of jobs and continued out-migration during his tenure didn't make him great. Those facts can't be disputed no matter what your personal views are.
Can't blame Frank Rizzo for the decline of thousands of jobs when all the older industrial cities were going south during his era.

Ever the term "Rust Belt?"

Old 06-06-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The thing that stands out to me about this photo is all the white people.

This protest turned riot wasn’t about George Lloyd. It was anarchist pieces of trash seizing an opportunity
I just commented on this before seeing this post...lol. Exactly.

Shouldn't this have been a mob of angry black folks? Yesterday there was a group sitting in front of the municipal building listening to speakers; one dude reminded me of Lenin. Couple black radicals.

Of the entire group, maybe 3 young black folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia