Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 02:05 PM

108 posts, read 44,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why is Philly still allowing Ben Franklin to be the centerpiece of the city? Ben owned a couple slaves. There's the Franklin Bridge and Benjamin Franklin Parkway, three statues of Ben in the city, a museum, the Franklin Institute, etc etc...

it all needs to go..Hopefully when we get Biden in office these changes will be made. Trump seems unlikely to do it.
Using today's mob rule thinking, all of it needs to go. Any statues of these racists are required to be removed as well as any naming of buildings, parks etc.

How can these virtue signaling white folks think their lives have improved because a Frank Rizzo statue and mural have been removed, yet dudes like Franklin etc still stand? Betsy Ross house needs to go, she made the symbol of the racist state created in 1976.

Smells like major hypocrisy to me.

Kate Smith (lol), Frank Rizzo...gone. Aren't there Columbus statues lurking around as well?

The virtue signaling mob will always want more or at least should want more if it is ''woke'' to its own hypoctisy of course.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-07-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 05:23 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
Using today's mob rule thinking, all of it needs to go. Any statues of these racists are required to be removed as well as any naming of buildings, parks etc.

How can these virtue signaling white folks think their lives have improved because a Frank Rizzo statue and mural have been removed, yet dudes like Franklin etc still stand? Betsy Ross house needs to go, she made the symbol of the racist state created in 1976.

Smells like major hypocrisy to me.

Kate Smith (lol), Frank Rizzo...gone. Aren't there Columbus statues lurking around as well?

The virtue signaling mob will always want more or at least should want more if it is ''woke'' to its own hypoctisy of course.
Actually you have a point: White supremacy and slavery are infused through this country's history of which Philadelphia obviously plays a vital role.

Perhaps you might agree as a sort of compromise that appropriate addendums be added to historical sites and informational centers.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Actually you have a point: White supremacy and slavery are infused through this country's history of which Philadelphia obviously plays a vital role.

Perhaps you might agree as a sort of compromise that appropriate addendums be added to historical sites and informational centers.
No, sorry, it all needs to be removed, not addendums. lol

A compromise of little Frank Rizzo for intolerant, racist, slave creating 17th Century era William Penn or 18th Century racist founding fathers? You can't be serious.

Confederate Statues are coming down, it all needs to go. Erase Baby Erase...I know that sounds a lot duller but is actually scarier than Burn Baby Burn from 50+ years ago.

Start the William Penn removal movement; black folks don't care, just the Rizzo Statue and Mural, so it's up to the white social justice warriors yet again. Two-fisted Jimmy Kenney will cave. Should be easy; just mention Jimmy's support and creation of a certain racist mayor statue if there's any flack.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Pennsylvania would have been better off on its own instead of adopting the Constitution. As would all the other slave legal colonies, independent countries. Perhaps legal slavery colonies New Jersey-New York would have been a separate French country; New England a separate English speaking country; MD-DE English speaking country; Virginia Spanish speaking country; Carolinas a Spanish speaking country; Georgia a Spanish speaking country.

Then all these nations would be at war with each other generally and in particular in acquiring the west ie anything west of PA-VA. That is if a country like PA, for example, could stand independent and not become a colony of the other 2 major European powers on the north american continent: Spain and France; or fall back into English control.

What a mess. Another 200 years of war, genocide, and monarchies, just like Europe (which is still wobbling).

Instead, the racist founding fathers opted to let the slave colonies vote to join the union by compromise but including in the constitution the elimination of the slave trade 20 years hence in 1807. Where else in the world was anyone voting at all in 1787? Some colonies actually had provisions to allow some women to vote as widows to their otherwise deceased husbands. No women were voting anywhere in the world of course because no men were anywhere else than on our continent.

The racist founding fathers didn't limit adopting the Constitution to just the original colonies either; more of an open-call. The name of the game was survival with the major European powers more like foxes outside a hen house.

So the racist founding fathers founded a racist country in 1787 knowing full well that slavery would not last and had to wait for America's 2nd Revolution in 1861, followed by the civil war constitional amendments strenghting the federal govt's power given the fact the states weren't all that successful in doing their job with its citizens.

Can people really govern themselves or do they, in fact, need kings? That is the racist proposition.

So, yes, let's get rid of all symbols of racism and its legacy in the city where it all began, racist Philly. Philadelphia, the city that brought the ideals of the 16th-17th Enlightment to a racist piece of paper in a few paragraphs then set out those ideals in a racist constitution. Can people develop, under their own goverance, the ideals of the Enlightment.

Lincoln, FDR, and MLK are top reminders to us of these ideals.

So far, racist Kate Smith (check-thanks cray black activist whatever your name was); racist Frank Rizzo (check)...

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-07-2020 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:

oh, brush up on your MLK quotes before jumping on anyone...''negro poor'' for starters; it is a '60s mindset cuz it's a quote from the '60s. Funny that a '60s mindset is called out and put down by a screen name Finding Zen...lol.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-07-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 03:54 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
White Social Justice Warriors are hilarious. The egocentric virtue signaling that they know what black folks need is so patronizing. Can't wait for the mob to go after Jim Kenney next...he after all promoted and work for erecting the statue..lol.
You don't need to wait for the mob to go after him.

His political mentor Vince Fumo already took Kenney down in a long Facebook post that's gone viral.

One of the points Fumo made in it was that Kenney helped spearhead the fundraising drive that led to the statue's creation and installation on the steps of the MSB.

Then Fumo lit into him for acting cravenly on the statue's removal, issuing vague pledges to remove it, then removing it only after it had been attacked by anarchists, and in the middle of the night to boot.

FTR, if I haven't said so already on this thread, my own view of Rizzo lies between that of his critics and his fans; I consider him a more complex and contradictory figure than either side portrays him. Someone else recently posted a stat that I didn't know that only further buttresses that view:

Rizzo's Police Department was known for its rough treatment of blacks, especially black radicals. Yet the Philadelphia Police Department under Commissioner Rizzo also had a higher percentage of black officers than other Northeastern police departments did at the time.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:31 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Oh, and since white SJWs have been mentioned:

My favorite white social justice warrior is a fellow named Jeff Brown.

You won't see him in any of these protest marches; he's too busy running his ten ShopRite and three Fresh Grocer supermarkets in the city and its suburbs.

Two of them — the one in Bakers Centre that serves East Falls, Germantown and Allegheny West, and the one in the Park West Shopping Center on 52d just above Lancaster — got hit by looters. In the case of the Park West store, the looters had the run of the place for 15 hours.

That store was back in business yesterday and will have a formal grand reopening today.

I dropped by the store yesterday, and it looked better than new. His crew really worked hard and fast to clean up the mess the looters left.

"He wanted to get this store open again as fast as he could," an employee staffing the sanitizing-wipes counter just inside the entrance said to me. "It's one of his biggest money-making stores."

Before I entered the store, a private security guard who I had met when he was on a date with another journalist I know at a Manayunk pub I was in recognized me and called out to me.

He said that the looting didn't have to happen in the first place, and the reason it did happen is because there were no cops there to respond to the calls.

"Jeff Brown called the police," he said. "The T-Mobile store" — which faces the ShopRite from the other side of the shopping center's parking lot — "called the police. The Lowe's store shut down and called the police. The 19th District is right over there" — the station house is two blocks west of the shopping center on Jefferson Street, which runs right into its main entrance.

"But all the cops were down in Center City, protecting the fancy stuff on Walnut Street. The 19th District should be taking care of the 19th District."

Having gotten the crime part out of the way, here's why Jeff Brown is my favorite white social justice warrior: He puts his money where his mouth is. He is, as the signs on the reopened store proclaim, "deeply committed to our community."

Some of his city stores have credit unions in them; those institutions are better than banks at offering financial advice and products at lower prices to people who could use both. His store at Bakers Centre is 3/4 supermarket and 1/4 social service agency; it also has a clinic inside it that both takes Medicaid and Medicare and offers low-cost services for uninsured patients. That clinic also has a registered dietitian and nutritionist on its staff. There are a couple of other services that store offers its patrons that escape me right now.

He also hires people released from prison to work in the stores, thus giving them a way into the legit economy after release.

If that's not crusading for social justice — effective crusading for social justice — I don't know what is. Our society needs lots more white guys like him.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:36 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
now they painted over the Rizzo mural. I say replace the mural with Daniel Faulkner.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:50 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:

So like a "Warning Label" for Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and the others that helped build this country that is now totally free?

White's ran and built things. That was the reality of the time. Why should we apologize for history and attempt toe ERASE it? We weren't there.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:53 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
now they painted over the Rizzo mural. I say replace the mural with Daniel Faulkner.
More likely Mummia or John and Romona Africa.

Last edited by Pilot1; 06-08-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia