U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:44 PM

34 posts, read 16,867 times

Advertisements

We walked by the municipal services building yesterday - and there it stood! I thought it was being moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 02:51 PM

1,355 posts, read 864,304 times
It's going DOWN!!!!

Old 05-31-2020, 06:26 AM

10,647 posts, read 6,230,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmarcus View Post
That statue is a magnet for every angry, loser, scumbag in the area (BLM and antifa, I'm looking at you).
That statue isn't going anywhere.
I hated Rizzo. But you are correct. The statue, which is a lame, cheap looking, sculpture, is not going anywhere.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:31 AM

5,095 posts, read 3,143,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's going DOWN!!!!
The thing that stands out to me about this photo is all the white people.

This protest turned riot wasn’t about George Lloyd. It was anarchist pieces of trash seizing an opportunity

Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

This protest turned riot wasn’t about George Lloyd. It was anarchist pieces of trash seizing an opportunity
Seems to be true throughout the country.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 AM

950 posts, read 374,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I hated Rizzo. But you are correct. The statue, which is a lame, cheap looking, sculpture, is not going anywhere.
I obviously was not living in Philadelphia during Rizzo. In fact, I was not even alive. Everything I read of him leads me to believe he was in fact a horrible mayor. No real loss if the statue is damaged or lost, imo. Why do we still have it? Is it not just a reminder of Philadelphia's racist past?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,447,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I obviously was not living in Philadelphia during Rizzo. In fact, I was not even alive. Everything I read of him leads me to believe he was in fact a horrible mayor. No real loss if the statue is damaged or lost, imo. Why do we still have it? Is it not just a reminder of Philadelphia's racist past?
I sense the same thing. I don't know why we still have it up. This is arguably one "positive" thing that is coming out of the chaos in Philadelphia.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Many of those trying to yank his statue down weren't alive when he was either. He died in 1991.

He was a mostly terrible mayor. City de-industrialization and de-population picked up steam during his tenure in the 70s. There was also a recall effort in an attempt to remove him.

But, we would probably not have the commuter train tunnel through Center City without him.

Why is the statue still there? Why did it happen in the first place? I don't really have good answers.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 AM

7,298 posts, read 8,407,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I’m a white person and I’m outraged. Your point?

I’m also aware that the Rizzo statue and its prominent placement are unnecessarily provocative. People of color and the lgbt community were notoriously harassed and victimized during his tenure as police chief and mayor. It’s akin to maintaining a statue of some confederate “hero” in any southern city.

It’s 2020. It’s time to bury our reverence for a bigot who promoted and practiced overt racial division in the city.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:02 AM

8,107 posts, read 18,631,690 times
Rizzo was the Donald Trump of his era, beloved and reviled at the same time depending on where you lived.

Those who loved him had more than enough influence to have the statue built.

While I don't condone defacing property, for a good portion of the community that statue is the equivalent of a Confederate symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia