U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:41 PM

11 posts, read 4,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyjawns View Post
Since it sounds like you're dealing with trespassing and theft, one option is to file a police report. It sounds like you've tried the nice route, and it isn't working. I also like the idea of putting up video surveillance, and at least then you'll have concrete evidence of wrongdoing. You are paying money to live there, and while you can't choose your neighbors, you still deserve some peace in your home.

(BTW - I'm from here, and I wouldn't put up with this nonsense for a second. I don't consider this to be a prototypical Philly experience, and I've lived in a bunch of different neighborhoods, always in a rowhome or apartment. There may be some baseline for noise/nuisance when it comes to city living, or any close quarters living, but this is way past what I'd be willing to deal with, especially when you add the racial nonsense. I've been lucky and haven't had any bad neighbors, but I have dealt with construction and inconsiderate landlords, so I have an idea of how frustrating it can be.)

I would very much like to do that but I'm on a really tight budget and can't afford it right now. I have a neighbor that lives across the street that has a sign saying he has surveillance and have contemplated whether or not I could reach out to them. I don't know if they are doing the same thing that Selhars recommended and its just for show but if it isn't I wasn't sure how to approach this neighbor (they recently moved and haven't had any interactions with them) to ask for footage. I also thought that there might be a chance they don't want to get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:56 PM

34 posts, read 15,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurus_East Wind View Post
I live in between the north and northeast of philly.
Sounds like Juniata.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:36 AM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
Quote:
My cousin is a cop here and he said they really won't be able to do anything unless there is some kind of proof, otherwise all they can say is not to do it and move on. Also decent security cameras are out of our budget.
Can he pay you a visit in his cruiser? Park it out front or in the driveway, and you come to the door and point toward their yard and house? It would all be for show. But the neighbor's won't know that. IF you're really afraid, then just have him visit stand on the steps, and don't point, just look their direction when you talk. When he walks away HE can look toward their house....or not.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:41 PM

23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
This is what I'm most scared of and they know what cars we drive, I have a front and backyard fence but they don't seem to understand what fences are and they even use the poles of the fences to have a line connected to their house to put their laundry, and even dry their carpets and other things on the fence even though we aren't on good terms. I don't know if this is indulging them in some sense and a part of me wants to tell them to take it down and not place things on my side.

I'm a smoker but I'm aware that some people don't like the smell of smoke but I keep to myself on my property and try to redirect the smoke away from close neighbors that happen to be doing something in the backyard but I kid you not, the 2nd neighbor's grandmother has come out of the house and the moment she saw me and smelled the smoke she spat on the floor, the first time I thought nothing of it but *laugh* she has done it more than five times when we've encountered each other in the back and she would talk out loud in her language in a passive aggressive manner. I'm not sure if just holding it in is an option anymore I feel like these people act more when I don't give them the attention they want or something.

I've been thinking of doing that but I'm worried that if or when they do something I want to have the evidence to show to the police. My cousin is a cop here and he said they really won't be able to do anything unless there is some kind of proof, otherwise all they can say is not to do it and move on. Also decent security cameras are out of our budget.
Every time they trespass on your property take a picture, even through your windows. If they are taking things from your garden take pictures. Show them to your cousin to find out if they're good enough & when you have enough.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:33 PM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
I live in between the north and northeast of philly.
Juniata Park?

Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,619,018 times
Quote:
directing it to me, and continuing to do so until I got annoyed and confronted the father.

The father was more upset about me interrupting his meal time then what his rude children were doing. I was speechless so I left and shortly within that week, his son and family/friends that live on the same block were leaving their cars and I happened to be outside in the front again with my dog. As they were exiting the car, they had to pass by my house to get to theirs, I could hear one of them say, "Yea she got upset because we were taking things from her garden," and another one replied, "*Scoff* what seriously? aren't the seeds like five dollars." Not only that but they started to talk to other neighbors next to them saying I'm the one who's crazy and picking on them, I've even found half eaten fruits that were tossed or placed on my side of the front and back yard by them. Literally I've been minding my own business, trying to be polite about the whole situation and just ignoring them but recently they've been banging on their side of the wall making thump sounds that get really loud sometimes and it happens to be during close to midnight they do this. I'm pretty sure its their kid that's doing it. One night I was moving around in my bed (my mattress is on the floor) because of the hot weather and my back pain. As if it wasn't hard enough sleep they kept making thump sounds whenever I moved. I was already trying to move as quietly as I possibly could but I guess my mattress makes sounds even though I can't hear them but they can. Ever since that night, random times of the night the kids would do something (drop something or hit the wall) so loud that it causes vibrations and it would be around the time that I'm sleeping or trying to sleep. It got so bad that my shelves were shaking. I don't know what to do. I don't think talking to these types of people is considered an option.

Now I'm also labelled the crazy Asian lady on my block when none of them have even approached me to hear my side of the story. What am I suppose to do? Part of me wants to be what they labelled me and get some kind of payback. I've never met such ill mannered people like this before. I used to live in a suburban house separated from other neighbors so as long as we kept to ourselves and said the occasional friendly hello, people went about their business in a polite manner. I don't know how to deal with their passive aggressive behaviors, making loud sounds, placing rotten fruit on our side. They even use our fence to hold up their laundry and I have half a mind to tell them they can't do it. They make it extremely unpleasant to live next to and I can't move out, I don't have the funds and I know I'm going to be here for awhile so I need to figure out how to deal with the problem or I'm going to lose my mind.

Ok so you may not agree with my advice.

These folks are not interested in being "neighborly" and any thing you try to do will be abused. They are ill mannered and rude, self centered people like that are not going to be moved with kindness.

Also it's not just "philly", unfortunately I had these type of neighbors when I lived in the 'burbs".

so I would
1. document every single thing.
2. inform the landlord of what the neighbors are doing and ask him to install a video camera. Get one of those signs informing everyone that a video recording device is in use. If he won't spring for a relative inexpensive one yourself.
3. no more using your fence, yard, leaves nothing. they want a pumpkin? go to the damn store.
4. You don't have to get "payback" and don't worry about what they call you. lol, I'm black and I actually had one lady tell me that my sons must be drug dealers in order for me to be able to afford my house.
some people are simply not nice. nothing you can do about it so if they think you are the "crazy" Asian lady? so what.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:49 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
^^ I didn't want to say so, because I was holding out hope the OP might be able to use her own yard, and garden. But I did almost say earlier, that if it's as bad as she says, she just may not be able to food garden. Just grow things with thorns. I wouldn't grow anything that's actually poisonous, even though technically they should never find that out because they should never be in your yard in the first place....but lots of plants may just cause irritation if touched with bare hands and those are all over the place.

Are the nasty neighbors owners or renters. IF renters there's always the chance they could move.

And yes, document, and talk to the landlord. I'm sure s/he'd rather have a longterm, responsible tenant, than lose tenant-after-tenant, and have the place unrented between tenants due to bully neighbors.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Ok so you may not agree with my advice.

These folks are not interested in being "neighborly" and any thing you try to do will be abused. They are ill mannered and rude, self centered people like that are not going to be moved with kindness.

Also it's not just "philly", unfortunately I had these type of neighbors when I lived in the 'burbs".

so I would
1. document every single thing.
2. inform the landlord of what the neighbors are doing and ask him to install a video camera. Get one of those signs informing everyone that a video recording device is in use. If he won't spring for a relative inexpensive one yourself.
3. no more using your fence, yard, leaves nothing. they want a pumpkin? go to the damn store.
4. You don't have to get "payback" and don't worry about what they call you. lol, I'm black and I actually had one lady tell me that my sons must be drug dealers in order for me to be able to afford my house.
some people are simply not nice. nothing you can do about it so if they think you are the "crazy" Asian lady? so what.
Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to invest in a camera soon, I'm finding cigarette buds that aren't mine, out in my backyard now and with the loud banging sounds that they keep making, I'm just going to record it and try to accumulate enough evidence to get the police involved.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Juniata Park?
No, I'm a little more to the east side of there but its pretty close.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can he pay you a visit in his cruiser? Park it out front or in the driveway, and you come to the door and point toward their yard and house? It would all be for show. But the neighbor's won't know that. IF you're really afraid, then just have him visit stand on the steps, and don't point, just look their direction when you talk. When he walks away HE can look toward their house....or not.

I've contemplated on this, if things get really out of hand I'm thinking of asking him to do me this favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or