U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I wonder if the wierdness is only in the early years of Math, and once they get into geometry, prealgebra, and higher -- how many different ways can there be to teach these? There can't be that many ways to teach middle and high school Math??

I think my kids are under common core (but I dont know what it means). I learnt my Math in India. When I follow up on my kids' Math in middle and high, it seems OK.

Angus, I recall communicating with you in 2014 when we first moved to the northern suburbs (it may have been our other account, as I dont see your messages in my DM list). We have had nothing but great experiences in the Montco public school system. Welcome back (didn't know you had left, and I recall you used to be fond of the city)!

Good question.
Since math is more complex in higher grades, there aren't necessarily as many different methods for learning math per se. Rather, the methods that can be used for simpler math can be used to elongate a process (or to use those alternative methods repeatedly or similarly repeatedly) for more complex math.

If you happen to have a real good math teacher for patterns like I was, they will be able to discover patterns on there own such as how to relate polynomial long division to long division traditionally rather than just simply showing the process only. You need willing to learn students too, as it does take some concentration for understand the nuances for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
We are in Upper Moreland and I think they are using Everyday Math curriculum. It is common core aligned (it seems like just about everything is now...sigh). I don't care for it, and I gave up going over it and trying to learn it along with my daughter. The one time I tried to teach her the "old way" the teacher asked me not to.

In regards to finding out what each district does and what curriculum they use, if you do a google search for the district and math curriculum (ex Upper Dublin math curriculum) you should be able to find what you are looking for. I would suggest doing it for the private schools too...because you never know. I found that the curriculum that was used in the city charter my daughter went to before moving here was VERY different and she is still catching up after 3 years in the district.
Thanks, I appreciate the guidance!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I wonder if the wierdness is only in the early years of Math, and once they get into geometry, prealgebra, and higher -- how many different ways can there be to teach these? There can't be that many ways to teach middle and high school Math??

I think my kids are under common core (but I dont know what it means). I learnt my Math in India. When I follow up on my kids' Math in middle and high, it seems OK.

Angus, I recall communicating with you in 2014 when we first moved to the northern suburbs (it may have been our other account, as I dont see your messages in my DM list). We have had nothing but great experiences in the Montco public school system. Welcome back (didn't know you had left, and I recall you used to be fond of the city)!
Yes, we moved to Missouri, but are planning to move back soon. Glad to hear that you have had a good experience in Montco! The whole math curriculum change was happening just shortly before we left. While I think that every state has some form of a "common core", the exact curriculum is different by state and by district. We have not had the issue of non-traditional techniques being taught/forced here in Missouri, though I'm sure it is embedded in the curriculum to some extent (which in and of itself is not a bad thing). I am particularly concerned that, moving back to PA, because our our kids have not been taught that way over the past few years, that they will struggle even more than they otherwise would have.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,629,172 times
With Math being so important in life, I feel it is important to realize that whether you go the mindless route, or the mindful route, the answer is always going to be the same. In India, we would mindlessly place a dash (-) in multiplication of multi-digit numbers, while in the US they seem to mindfully place a 0. In India we would mindlessly cancel out values on either side of the equal sign, while in the US extra attention seems to be placed by inserting the cancel out values on either side of the equal sign, and then doing the cancelation etc.

I think the important thing is that kids realize either way the answer is exactly the same, and either way it is fine. I make my kids realize this, and I sometimes ridicule their long methods, just so they realize they all lead to the same thing.

Angus, I did notice yesterday that my kids school curriculum refers to Pennsylvania Common Core. For anything below Calculus (which I wouldn't really be able to recall if I had to), I think the other Math is just a bunch of logical working out. My 9th grader is in Algebra 2 I believe, and I have had to look over his Math, and it was nothing earth shattering. (I think some times kids take Algebra 2 in 10th grade even.) My point is that these are just a bunch of logical things, it doesn't really matter which method... And as previously discussed, as you get past the basics, there can't be that many ways to present real math.

One important point I think is the ability to do some mental math. Once in a while I ask my kids to do some multiplication in their head. I am too old now to do this in my head, or I refuse to do it myself! But as kids, if they can be given some mental math problems to do (even if you verify it using a calculator on your phone or laptop), it will help their math abilities.

Angus, good luck!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
I just want to thank the OP for starting the thread.
Without it I likely would have never heard of Singapore Math.
Given that it was reportedly designed in Asia, and -- according to news reports Asians far outscore Americans in Math, I think I'll recommend my family members look to learning more about how their kids might be taught that way. Sounds like it might die them an advantage. Not the other way around.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:07 PM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just want to thank the OP for starting the thread.
Without it I likely would have never heard of Singapore Math.
Given that it was reportedly designed in Asia, and -- according to news reports Asians far outscore Americans in Math, I think I'll recommend my family members look to learning more about how their kids might be taught that way. Sounds like it might die them an advantage. Not the other way around.
As a teacher who teaches Singapore Math, it is absolutely superior to any kind of math curriculum traditionally used in America. Learning how to teach it and teaching it myself has completely changed the way I think about basic numbers and math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia