U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Next Neighborhood(s)
Templetown 2 5.71%
Point Breeze 8 22.86%
Gray's Ferry 0 0%
Pennsport 6 17.14%
Delaware Riverfront (Frankford to Washington Ave) 4 11.43%
East Mount Airy 6 17.14%
South Kensington 7 20.00%
Brewerytown 10 28.57%
OTHER 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM
 
Location: The City
22,381 posts, read 33,156,333 times
Reputation: 7799

Advertisements

I agree on Brewerytown, also think Francisville (Ridge could become a new corridor too) - maybe to become the new sort of temple DT so to speak then maybe Sharswood


I think eventually Templetown say east of 20th may redevelop straight down to CC in continuity


where is the green eggs opening there?




Another area with great stock and good PT is the area along Fairmont on the other side Parkside - some cool old stock there but much has seen its better days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,335 posts, read 744,209 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree on Brewerytown, also think Francisville (Ridge could become a new corridor too) - maybe to become the new sort of temple DT so to speak then maybe Sharswood


I think eventually Templetown say east of 20th may redevelop straight down to CC in continuity


where is the green eggs opening there?




Another area with great stock and good PT is the area along Fairmont on the other side Parkside - some cool old stock there but much has seen its better days
Green Eggs is opening at 27th and Girard. I am not sure of the exact open date. Sometime this year. They have the tables and everything ready to go. I am guessing some type of restaurant occupancy license is holding them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2019, 02:36 PM
 
239 posts, read 139,176 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I fell like if the viaduct were even developed into a rail link (say from the navy yard (connecting to the bsl at AT&T) up the western side of S Philly and the Viaduct row (even if under) and into U City and around to the Pennsy cut) this area could really thrive


it just feels a lot rougher around the edges then the eastern side of broad
That viaduct is so just soooo dire. It doesn't just create a mental barrier for Gray's Ferry, it creates a literal one, too. It looks like it's about to fall down any minute, 25th street street underneath it is a mess, and any development it touches looks like complete crap. It's an actual "wrong side of the tracks" situation. I don't even like driving under it, to say nothing of trying to live in its vicinity.

I know it's still in use (somehow), so options are limited, but your idea of turning it into something useful for the neighborhood--heck, even a rail park--could do wonders. But as long as it exists in its current form, Gray's Ferry will suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Very good insight from you and Fireshaker. So question to both of you: As U City continues to expand and Center City over the bridge gets basically at capacity (where it pretty much is now), where do you see the residential spreading? Or do you? U City might be convenient enough to get to from pretty much every city neighborhood.
The thing is, I don't think you're wrong about Gray's Ferry. I think it will *have* to happen at some point, because as you say, we're quickly reaching capacity in all the other neighboring areas. GF just has a lot of barriers, some of them physical (25th street viaduct, for example). CHOP already has a cancer center on that side of the river, and with continued economic developments along there (in addition to the rail trail extension), as well as maybe an additional connector across the river, GF is certainly a prime candidate. Its relative isolation right now is just such a big factor.

Honestly, I think the faster bet is continued expansion into West Philly. It's a BIG area, so there's a lot to be done. But due to both the El and the various trolley lines, so much of it is incredibly convenient to not only UCity, but CC as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Point Breeze. Also PRIME for being the next hottest. It really contends to Point Breeze Ave. taking off as the commercial corridor. You really need a strong corridor to be a 'hot' destination neighborhood.
I've said it before, but there's no reason Point Breeze Ave can't be another Passyunk Ave. The bones are there. And once it does, it will be a huge anchor to really pull people west. (They're coming west anyway, but it's in spite of PB Ave., not because of it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I know Cobbs Creek fairly well actually. My reply dismissing it was not because of the housing. I personally see very little chance of Cobbs Creek pulling it together in the next several years. Maybe in a decade or more...

You apparently feel differently, which is obviously fine and you very well may be correct, but in the spirit of this thread, care to expound?
Is "pulling it together" a way of saying it should try to attract more white people? Not likely of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post


-Cobbs Creek: There are some beautiful, affordable homes in the area, especially once you're south of Spruce Street. There are also a few large, grand homes around Cobbs Creek Parkway, and the Cobbs Creek Trail provides area residents with a means of recreation. I think that this neighborhood will turn around, but its redevelopment pattern will start southeast and work its way northwest. I live in Cedar Park, so I'm starting to see what's happening to the lower portion of 52nd Street. Believe it or not, there are a few new boutique businesses opening up, especially at 52nd and Larchwood! There's also new construction going up at 51st and Baltimore, and to the areas south.
Fwiw, Wilt Chamberlain lived in Cobbs Creek for years on Ellsworth right where Cobbs Creek Pwkway bends. And
I said the same thing: homes there on, say, Webster St are beautiful and it would be difficult to re-create them without costing a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
667 posts, read 452,723 times
Reputation: 659
[quote=kyb01;54243688]Is "pulling it together" a way of saying it should try to attract more white people? Not likely of course.[/QUOTE

Hmm... interesting read on my comment. I simply don't think Cobbs Creek is close to "pulling it together." I'm a history junkie and an unabashed Philly homer. I'm simply calling it like I see it. Has nothing to do with race or gender or anything outside of the state of the neighborhood in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
667 posts, read 452,723 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
That viaduct is so just soooo dire. It doesn't just create a mental barrier for Gray's Ferry, it creates a literal one, too. It looks like it's about to fall down any minute, 25th street street underneath it is a mess, and any development it touches looks like complete crap. It's an actual "wrong side of the tracks" situation. I don't even like driving under it, to say nothing of trying to live in its vicinity.

I know it's still in use (somehow), so options are limited, but your idea of turning it into something useful for the neighborhood--heck, even a rail park--could do wonders. But as long as it exists in its current form, Gray's Ferry will suffer.



The thing is, I don't think you're wrong about Gray's Ferry. I think it will *have* to happen at some point, because as you say, we're quickly reaching capacity in all the other neighboring areas. GF just has a lot of barriers, some of them physical (25th street viaduct, for example). CHOP already has a cancer center on that side of the river, and with continued economic developments along there (in addition to the rail trail extension), as well as maybe an additional connector across the river, GF is certainly a prime candidate. Its relative isolation right now is just such a big factor.

Honestly, I think the faster bet is continued expansion into West Philly. It's a BIG area, so there's a lot to be done. But due to both the El and the various trolley lines, so much of it is incredibly convenient to not only UCity, but CC as well.



I've said it before, but there's no reason Point Breeze Ave can't be another Passyunk Ave. The bones are there. And once it does, it will be a huge anchor to really pull people west. (They're coming west anyway, but it's in spite of PB Ave., not because of it.)
Good points. I don't think many regular posters know a ton about Pennsport (same location as Point Breeze, just 10-20 blocks east), but your above descriptions remind me of E. Moyamensing Ave. Can anyone list all the diagonal blvs. in the city and provide commentary?

Last edited by Pennsport; 01-25-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 PM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Reputation: 3628
[quote=Pennsport;54249344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Is "pulling it together" a way of saying it should try to attract more white people? Not likely of course.[/QUOTE

Hmm... interesting read on my comment. I simply don't think Cobbs Creek is close to "pulling it together." I'm a history junkie and an unabashed Philly homer. I'm simply calling it like I see it. Has nothing to do with race or gender or anything outside of the state of the neighborhood in general.
I don't know how old you are but certainly in my much earlier life(50s-into late 60s)it had a substantial number of whites as did Kingsessing. Prior prez of Penn, Judith Rodin, grew up in Kingsessing/Mt Moriah, for instance. And there were Jews still living on Beaumont, Pentridge and Warrington into the 70s.

White flight obviously affected both communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
697 posts, read 284,738 times
Reputation: 1008
I'm hoping someone can speak to the situation in Germantown and the Northwest. I realize it is considered a large neighborhood that is kind of "block by block," but is the market still appreciating? Will it continue to appreciate? I currently live in West Philly, and much as I like it here, I am looking for work and hoping to move and BUY a place North/Northwest part of the city for a few reasons. I love the better mix of urban with nature that area offers, and that it is overall more mixed-aged and not uni-centric.

The neighborhoods I am considering are Manayunk, Germantown, East Mt Airy, and Brewerytown. I'd even consider Strawberry Mansion, if it were a little further along in its revitalization (some of the the architecture there is out of this world beautiful). Germantown sticks out to me right now, because I notice so much pride and love for the 'hood from people who live there.

Of Brewerytown, Germantown, East Mt Airy and Manayunk, which real estate market has the most appreciation potential over the next couple of decades? I realize this would all be speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm hoping someone can speak to the situation in Germantown and the Northwest. I realize it is considered a large neighborhood that is kind of "block by block," but is the market still appreciating? Will it continue to appreciate? I currently live in West Philly, and much as I like it here, I am looking for work and hoping to move and BUY a place North/Northwest part of the city for a few reasons. I love the better mix of urban with nature that area offers, and that it is overall more mixed-aged and not uni-centric.

The neighborhoods I am considering are Manayunk, Germantown, East Mt Airy, and Brewerytown. I'd even consider Strawberry Mansion, if it were a little further along in its revitalization (some of the the architecture there is out of this world beautiful). Germantown sticks out to me right now, because I notice so much pride and love for the 'hood from people who live there.

Of Brewerytown, Germantown, East Mt Airy and Manayunk, which real estate market has the most appreciation potential over the next couple of decades? I realize this would all be speculation.
Next decades? No one can predict that. Very short term probably Brewerytown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top