Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Neighborhood(s)
Templetown 2 5.71%
Point Breeze 8 22.86%
Gray's Ferry 0 0%
Pennsport 6 17.14%
Delaware Riverfront (Frankford to Washington Ave) 4 11.43%
East Mount Airy 6 17.14%
South Kensington 7 20.00%
Brewerytown 10 28.57%
OTHER 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:02 AM

333 posts, read 279,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Also: Keep your eye on the Beury ("Boner4Ever") Building. I got wind that its owner is planning to change the previously announced redevelopment plan for it. Tioga, Nicetown and Franklinville won't get hot for quite a while, but I think that the fortunes of the busiest crossroads in the city outside Center City are going to rise soon, and maybe dramatically.
I'm bullish on that, too. Broad & Erie is home to one of the best TODs in the whole city. It's got great bones, and it will definitely be a gem again some day. I think a lot of those farther North Broad neighborhoods will have to wait a bit to get there--I don't know if I see development skipping the in-between areas--but I agree it will get there.

As I said upthread, follow the transit. The BSL, to me, is a great indicator of where things are really going to pop next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I was laughing at the “bonkers” comment. Not intended to be taken personally which it seems is how you have taken it. Well, time will tell. Hope you two are correct. I guess right now we simply disagree, which of course is completely fine and constructive.

As always, thanks for your opinions and input.
Given that there's over a century's worth of family history for me in various parts of W. Philadelphia, of course, it's personal. So let's leave it there.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:35 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I could see East Mt. Airy being a next hot neighborhood if for no other reason than it offers something different than the other neighborhoods here. East Mt. Airy offers trees, a diverse housing stock, peace, in an environment that is more peaceful than the others on the list. I was part of the first "wave" of transplants to move to east to East Passyunk (2006/2007) and have noticed a recent increase in transplants moving to Mt. Airy that were also previously living in south Philly or Fishtown. Some see it as a better neighborhood to raise kids, others just like the relative peace. "Downtown" Mt. Airy has seen some improvement with the addition of a several new businesses recently. I think East Mt. Airy has more room to improve than WMA because WMA is already pretty expensive. Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as a homeowner in EMA.

So while EMA offers something different the changes happening in Kensington are similar to the changes happening in Brewerytown which are similar to the changes happening in point breeze etc.
What can likely make East Mt. Airy and several other neighborhoods into "hot" neighborhoods is if Regional Rail operated more like rapid transit the way BART in the Bay Area or Metro in the DC area does. It's quite possible given that the Center City Commuter Connection has four tracks, there's actually another through-running that can be done on the north-south axis of 30th Street Station on the lower level.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM

13,960 posts, read 8,825,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I could see East Mt. Airy being a next hot neighborhood if for no other reason than it offers something different than the other neighborhoods here. East Mt. Airy offers trees, a diverse housing stock, peace, in an environment that is more peaceful than the others on the list. I was part of the first "wave" of transplants to move to east to East Passyunk (2006/2007) and have noticed a recent increase in transplants moving to Mt. Airy that were also previously living in south Philly or Fishtown. Some see it as a better neighborhood to raise kids, others just like the relative peace. "Downtown" Mt. Airy has seen some improvement with the addition of a several new businesses recently. I think East Mt. Airy has more room to improve than WMA because WMA is already pretty expensive. Of course this could all be wishful thinking on my part as a homeowner in EMA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What can likely make East Mt. Airy and several other neighborhoods into "hot" neighborhoods is if Regional Rail operated more like rapid transit the way BART in the Bay Area or Metro in the DC area does. It's quite possible given that the Center City Commuter Connection has four tracks, there's actually another through-running that can be done on the north-south axis of 30th Street Station on the lower level.
As promised, here's my data point:

Survey: Philly Has 3 of “10 Hottest Affordable Neighborhoods” in the Nation | Philadelphia Magazine

Note which neighborhood placed No. 2 nationwide.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:39 PM

9,343 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Development permit signals progress at site near Amtrak

Philadelphia's hot neighborhood by 2025?

Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,832,953 times
Quote:
As promised, here's my data point:

Survey: Philly Has 3 of “10 Hottest Affordable Neighborhoods” in the Nation | Philadelphia Magazine

Note which neighborhood placed No. 2 nationwide.
Wait a minute, can your data point be a link to your own data point? Haha, good article!

Old 01-28-2019, 05:34 PM

938 posts, read 441,488 times
Quote:
See my post #52 above.

East and West Mt. Airy, however, prove that a good racial/ethnic mix can also be a strength.

Not for white, blue collar neighborhoods. Bridesburg would have become similar to Juniata and Wissinoming if it would have 'mixed.'

Old 01-28-2019, 06:58 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Let's dream big so why not?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

This should be where a secondary CBD is built. The North Broad and North Philadelphia RR stations and the BSL station should be consolidated as a large connected high-rise complex to ease transfers and make use of TOD.

Really!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,832,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This should be where a secondary CBD is built. The North Broad and North Philadelphia RR stations and the BSL station should be consolidated as a large connected high-rise complex to ease transfers and make use of TOD.

Really!
You're right, but the driver needs to be economic growth. Something Philly (city-proper) struggles with for obvious reasons. The bones are there, so logically, it should happen. This announcement shows it's going in the right direction, but what other businesses would locate there? I know I would not move there unless there was some real gravity, simply because it's so isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia