Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 836 times

Advertisements

Hey hey! My housemate and I are relocating to Philly in early April. We've learned about many neighborhoods and suburbs, but we're not sure which would be the best mesh of where we'd fit in best, along with what places are reasonable with our budget (~$1000-1200, give or take? for a 1-2 bedroom apartment).

Summary: Two female college graduates in our 20s, who spend most of our time outside of work involved with live music and art stuff. We like urban or suburban places, preferably places that are apartments rather than townhouses. We're not set on living directly in the city, but would like to be ~30 mins from center city, by train and/or car, if possible. It's important for us to be close to public transit and to feel overall safe. We both are also very well-budgeted and only really spend extra income on the arts. It's not super important for us to be close to bars.

I went to college in NEPA and have visited Philly a few times, but I'm still getting to know the ins and outs. We're visiting at the end of March -- any other tips for getting to know the city?

Sticky questions answered under the cut:

Spoiler

When are you moving?

Early April

Where are you coming from?

Northern Arizona, but I went to college right outside of Wilkes-Barre and feel most comfortable in the northeast.

Why are you moving?

I want to have better access to music/the arts, to experience living near/in a city, and already have some friends in the area.

Where will you be working?

Not sure yet. Will probably be working with marketing/media.

Have you been here yet?

Yes, a few visits a couple years ago (highlights: Theater of Living Arts, the convention center, MilkBoy)

Will you buy or rent?

Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?

Preference for apartment, but could work with the rest. I have one housemate joining me, so we'll be splitting it. If we can do between $1000 and $1400 a month for a one or two bedroom, that'd be great.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Something that’s multi-floored/has multiple apartments, but not sure entirely.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?

Good with either

Are you married or single? Do you have children?

No and no

Do you have pets?

No

Do you want or need a yard?

No

Are you keeping a car?

Housemate is

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

Either

What do you want to be closest to?

Close to public transit. I'd love to be about half an hour transit from downtown, give or take. I’m good with trains/subway and bus. Otherwise, whenever we're out, most often my housemate and I will be at music venues or other art stuff.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Any, but diversity would be great

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?

Water, and its distant cousin, vodka

Last edited by andersd2; 01-21-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Since you want a car, especially at $1000-1200, maybe East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, or Wynnefield Heights. Maybe Bristol. You might need to be willing to get another roommate(s) too. I wouldn't consider downtown with a car with that budget and plus you don't want a car downtown if you don't have to have one.

For Suburbs- Conshohocken, Ridley Park, Folsom maybe, Essington maybe
You could consider the NJ side too. DE might be a bit far for a 30 min drive, although you could get your price point much more comfortably.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 AM

409 posts, read 370,208 times
Your best fit: Media - People on this site tend to recommend Media for everybody, but I feel it really is a good fit specifically for you. I call it "lux-bohemian", it's more suburban, has actual apartments, and has convenient public transit into the city. The only drawback is that it's somewhat expensive; you can get a place for your budget but it will be pretty basic. Nearby Swarthmore (with its namesake college) is also worth a look.

Cheaper than Media: Manayunk - It's where all the recent college grads tend to gravitate to. It's more urban (within Philadelphia's city limits), it has lots of nightlife and a restaurant scene aimed at young professionals. The only drawback is that it's almost entirely townhouses, with hardly any apartment complexes (but some do exist). It does have an arts scene too.

More expensive than Media: Something around Saint Joseph's University (i.e. Ardmore, Merion Station) - A very basic place is still within your price range. The college campus vibe spills into the surrounding area a bit. It has the easiest public transit into the city, and (my opinion) is a little ritzier than Media (It's in a string of towns referred to as "The Main Line" which all share the same train line and have traditionally been considered the most-desired suburbs).

Old 01-24-2019, 06:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Your best fit: Media - People on this site tend to recommend Media for everybody, but I feel it really is a good fit specifically for you. I call it "lux-bohemian", it's more suburban, has actual apartments, and has convenient public transit into the city. The only drawback is that it's somewhat expensive; you can get a place for your budget but it will be pretty basic. Nearby Swarthmore (with its namesake college) is also worth a look.

. . .
Both Media and Swarthmore might not fit under the person's rental budget though.
Maybe areas outside of Media and Swarthmore such as Essington, Folsom, Ridley Park, Drexel Hill, Norwood, Prospect Park, Glenolden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia