Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:50 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
IMO the $1.2 billion would have been better spent on replacing funds from a reduction in the wage tax. In the bigger, longer-term picture, a lower wage tax or elimination of it would go a long way towards reclaiming those jobs in the suburbs back to Philly. KOP is a major employment center *now*, but malls come and go. The $1.2 billion could have spurred a lot of job creation for the city for generations to come.
This is a problem I have with many viewpoints on here and from Philadelphians. Stealing jobs from King of Prussia and moving them to the city does absolutely nothing to improve the Philadelphia region. If people want more jobs and companies, then the city needs to lure them from New York, DC, Chicago, Houston, etc.

Also, KoP is far more than a mall. Between King of Prussia, Wayne, Radnor, and Montgomery County in general, that is a huge employment center (one of the largest in the state). A good chunk of the regions highest paying jobs are within 15 minutes of King of Prussia. There are also no signs that the KoP region is a temporary employment. Read the PBJ, there are dozens of companies and satellites opening out that way monthly.

This whole city vs suburbs thing doesn't make sense to me, and people on here should realize that Philadelphia is one of the few US cities that has an extremely healthy metropolitan area, every collar county of Philadelphia is an employment hub, that is not the case for most major cities.

Where Philadelphia needs to step up is luring corporate affairs and satellites from other major cities not King of Prussia.

Company XYZ in San Fran should be opening their East Coast hub in Philadelphia, not NYC or DC. That is what needs to change.

Also, I am not yelling or getting upset with you or any poster, I am just thinking about this plan in a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 08:23 AM

409 posts, read 364,621 times
Hopefully the terminus includes a massive parking complex with some to-go food options. If they do, lots of suburbanites would gladly park there to take the train instead of driving the Schuylkill (decreasing traffic there too). I could actually see it being a money-maker.

The NJ Transit Station in Hamilton, NJ would serve as inspiration.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,829,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This is a problem I have with many viewpoints on here and from Philadelphians. Stealing jobs from King of Prussia and moving them to the city does absolutely nothing to improve the Philadelphia region. If people want more jobs and companies, then the city needs to lure them from New York, DC, Chicago, Houston, etc.

Also, KoP is far more than a mall. Between King of Prussia, Wayne, Radnor, and Montgomery County in general, that is a huge employment center (one of the largest in the state). A good chunk of the regions highest paying jobs are within 15 minutes of King of Prussia. There are also no signs that the KoP region is a temporary employment. Read the PBJ, there are dozens of companies and satellites opening out that way monthly.

This whole city vs suburbs thing doesn't make sense to me, and people on here should realize that Philadelphia is one of the few US cities that has an extremely healthy metropolitan area, every collar county of Philadelphia is an employment hub, that is not the case for most major cities.

Where Philadelphia needs to step up is luring corporate affairs and satellites from other major cities not King of Prussia.

Company XYZ in San Fran should be opening their East Coast hub in Philadelphia, not NYC or DC. That is what needs to change.

Also, I am not yelling or getting upset with you or any poster, I am just thinking about this plan in a different way.
Yes, and that was my point in the thread where we're talking about the second CBD around Amtrak's North Philly station. Philly (city) needs to be pro-business so it can start to bring new jobs into the region and plant them in the city. Shuffling jobs from Center City to North Philly does nothing for the city. We need demand to drive supply.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 AM

288 posts, read 242,044 times
Quote:

I pretty much always agree with your posts and mindset and I think what you are saying is a good idea too. We can take the progression of the NYC region as an example. When I was growing up, Manhattan was the epicenter of the jobs and economic activity. Over the years, it has increased tremendously, with activity bleeding into Hoboken, Jersey City, downtown Brooklyn, and now to LIC.

It is fortunate to have such a major employer right now in the Philly region such as KOP but it might have been better if jobs were created and brewing in Philly first and THEN spill out to the nearby areas. The migration could at least be planned for, infrastructure-wise. As it is now, KOP competes with Philly for jobs and the reactionary planning like this rail extension is super expensive.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it would have been better to extend the Norristown line with better headways IMHO, a single seat ride
That would do absolutely nothing for all the reverse commuters going to KoP from 69th St who are stuck with the Rt 123 bus and all the traffic headaches that happen on that route.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
King of Prussia is one of the largest economic engines in the entire state, and a rail link to and from Philadelphia has long been needed. Not exactly a waste of money, and probably the most beneficial transit improvement that could happen for the region. Though I do wish the new line had a stop at the new and growing Village at Valley Forge. I believe the line bypasses that development by a bit.

The wawa extension is the first step in the eventual goal of (again) reaching West Chester. Again, direct connections from West Chester to Philadelphia is a huge benefit for the entire region.

I know Septa is eyeing a BSL extension, which would be an above ground rail link to the Navy Yard which is much needed. Beyond that I would like to see the renovation and re-opening of the 30th St concourse and the re-opening of an MFL stop at 22nd Street. But I find all of those (minus BSL extension) to be of less priority than investing in connecting the overall region.
There was never a MFL stop at 22nd St afaik.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That would do absolutely nothing for all the reverse commuters going to KoP from 69th St who are stuck with the Rt 123 bus and all the traffic headaches that happen on that route.

well one not all commuters come from there and two it could include a connection to the Norristown line at the Norristown Transpo center. Remove the current Norristown station and put it there (at there NHSL) so it would have the connection (albeit a mile or two further than this proposal)

if extended the Norristown line could have also gotten some park and rides and alleviate the current Norristown stop for the RR

in a ideal world this could have gone up 422 to say Collegeville or Royersford with a (Hamiltonesque) park and ride up there somewhere (maybe the middle of 422 by SEI)

Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,354,105 times
I like Regional Rail, and would like to see it go to KOP, West Chester, and Phoenixville. Knowing how people react to condemnation of land around here (and elsewhere) tells me it probably won't me a reality anytime soon. Not that I am ok with government stealing land, but there is a time, and a place, and public transit is certainly one of those times. I mean how long did it take the Blue Route to get built?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I like Regional Rail, and would like to see it go to KOP, West Chester, and Phoenixville. Knowing how people react to condemnation of land around here (and elsewhere) tells me it probably won't me a reality anytime soon. Not that I am ok with government stealing land, but there is a time, and a place, and public transit is certainly one of those times. I mean how long did it take the Blue Route to get built?
Decades wrt the Blue Route. You do know why it was labeled "blue", right?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
was the blue line on the map proposal

1060 used to use that name on traffic reports and am sure it confused folks from out of town, they don't anymore (say 476)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia