Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
An example of a development we like is Springton pointe in newtown square. Just not sure on distance to city and Jewish population.
Not terribly far as the crow flies, but in rush hour (or even mid-day) traffic its a slog. There’s also very few Jews (though not far from bigger Jewish communities and institutions if you’re willing to make that compromise).

If you like the look of newer luxury home communities and don’t mind sacrificing walkability and some proximity to Center City, why not Whitpain (Blue Bell), Lower Gwynedd (Spring House), Plymouth (parts of Plymouth Meeting), Whitemarsh (parts of various communities, including Plymouth Meeting and Lafayette Hill), or Upper Dublin (parts of Maple Glen, Fort Washington, and Dresher, among others)? There’s good schools, Jewish population, park and ride transit, and Jewish populations. Whitpain and Lower Gwynedd will have the most newer construction, but there are newer developments in those other communities as well.

Walkability aside, Cherry Hill and Voorhees may suit your needs. Both are fairly easy drives or Patco rides into the City and have newer construction options. Moorestown could work, too. The Jewish population is ~10% and growing, there’s a cute little downtown, and high-end new construction (though be prepared to pay for it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM

666 posts, read 478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Not terribly far as the crow flies, but in rush hour (or even mid-day) traffic its a slog. There’s also very few Jews (though not far from bigger Jewish communities and institutions if you’re willing to make that compromise).

If you like the look of newer luxury home communities and don’t mind sacrificing walkability and some proximity to Center City, why not Whitpain (Blue Bell), Lower Gwynedd (Spring House), Plymouth (parts of Plymouth Meeting), Whitemarsh (parts of various communities, including Plymouth Meeting and Lafayette Hill), or Upper Dublin (parts of Maple Glen, Fort Washington, and Dresher, among others)? There’s good schools, Jewish population, park and ride transit, and Jewish populations. Whitpain and Lower Gwynedd will have the most newer construction, but there are newer developments in those other communities as well.

Walkability aside, Cherry Hill and Voorhees may suit your needs. Both are fairly easy drives or Patco rides into the City and have newer construction options. Moorestown could work, too. The Jewish population is ~10% and growing, there’s a cute little downtown, and high-end new construction (though be prepared to pay for it).
I have family in the blue bell and Dresher area and it is nice but don’t find there’s much in terms of restaurants or a small town. That’s why we were leaning towards the main line. We love being in philly now with the access to restaurants. Obviously won’t be the same in burbs but hoping to be near to many good restaurants.

As far as jersey, I have always been a philly gal. Can’t see myself there as well as paying those crazy property taxes. Even more so now with the tax law changes and not being able to take a deduction.

We may need to sacrifice being in a big Jewish community. As long as we are close to some areas that may be fine. If we found something farther east in NEWTOWN SQUARE towards the main line that may be a compromise.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I have family in the blue bell and Dresher area and it is nice but don’t find there’s much in terms of restaurants or a small town. That’s why we were leaning towards the main line. We love being in philly now with the access to restaurants. Obviously won’t be the same in burbs but hoping to be near to many good restaurants.

As far as jersey, I have always been a philly gal. Can’t see myself there as well as paying those crazy property taxes. Even more so now with the tax law changes and not being able to take a deduction.

We may need to sacrifice being in a big Jewish community. As long as we are close to some areas that may be fine. If we found something farther east in NEWTOWN SQUARE towards the main line that may be a compromise.
Jews or no Jews, it’s going to be tough to find a ‘90s-era or newer tract or custom single-family house in safe walking distance from a charming downtown, period (Newtown Square doesn’t fit the bill either). You might find something reasonably close to Wayne or St. David’s in Radnor or Tredyffrin. You might also luck out in Upper Providence by Media.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Jews or no Jews, it’s going to be tough to find a ‘90s-era or newer tract or custom single-family house in safe walking distance from a charming downtown, period (Newtown Square doesn’t fit the bill either). You might find something reasonably close to Wayne or St. David’s in Radnor or Tredyffrin. You might also luck out in Upper Providence by Media.
Oh maybe I misspoke. I meant driving distance. So I’m okay with 15 min drive to a nice walkable town. House doesn’t need to be walking distance to town.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Oh maybe I misspoke. I meant driving distance. So I’m okay with 15 min drive to a nice walkable town. House doesn’t need to be walking distance to town.
Then you have lots of flexibility.

Which downtown(s) would you like to be closest to? Wayne? Ardmore? Media? Chestnut Hill? Conshohocken? (Etc.)

Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Then you have lots of flexibility.

Which downtown(s) would you like to be closest to? Wayne? Ardmore? Media? Chestnut Hill? Conshohocken? (Etc.)
Great ! We like anywhere that has a cute small town. We do like Wayne, Ardmore, media, Narberth..

Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
I would really consider Wyndmoor and Springfield Twp. in Montgomery County. It has a decent Jewish population. You are close to Chestnut Hill and it has more of the housing stock you are looking for.

Again you have a really comfortable budget. But I would look through the lens of your top two priorities. And then start your search there. And filter out your next three with the homes you look at.

The lower main line is where the concentration of larger Jewish populations are. Really Bryn Mawr and East with a growing presence in Villanova. But west of there it really is not as high. But still existent. Malvern would probably suit your needs the most. But again that would sacrifice a strong sense of a Jewish community.

I really think Ardmore is your #1. In terms of what you are looking for from an outside perspective.

You have the jewish community. You have the vibrancy. You have quick access to center city (20 mins).

In terms of place. You have what you want. What you have to give up. Is a slightly smaller home.

You most definitely can find a nice home within your price range in the Wynnewood section of Lower Merion. It wont be huge, but it will be nice and updated. Good luck. And wynnewood has alot more brick housing.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would really consider Wyndmoor and Springfield Twp. in Montgomery County. It has a decent Jewish population. You are close to Chestnut Hill and it has more of the housing stock you are looking for.

Again you have a really comfortable budget. But I would look through the lens of your top two priorities. And then start your search there. And filter out your next three with the homes you look at.

The lower main line is where the concentration of larger Jewish populations are. Really Bryn Mawr and East with a growing presence in Villanova. But west of there it really is not as high. But still existent. Malvern would probably suit your needs the most. But again that would sacrifice a strong sense of a Jewish community.

I really think Ardmore is your #1. In terms of what you are looking for from an outside perspective.

You have the jewish community. You have the vibrancy. You have quick access to center city (20 mins).

In terms of place. You have what you want. What you have to give up. Is a slightly smaller home.

You most definitely can find a nice home within your price range in the Wynnewood section of Lower Merion. It wont be huge, but it will be nice and updated. Good luck. And wynnewood has alot more brick housing.
I won’t rule out wyndmoor. Will check it out and see if it would fit what we’re looking for.

I agree with Ardmore but I keep looking online and haven’t seen anything I like close to my budget. I did see some houses in Bryn Mawr so maybe that is a more affordable area for my budget ? I will definitely also keep Wynnewood in mind. These are all great options. Thanks !

Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

It seems that housing stock in all of those areas is a problem for the OP, and that appears to be a big sticking point. Lafayette Hill/Whitemarsh Township would be a good choice. You don’t have a 15 minute drive to the Main Line towns, but you are well-situated between Chestnut Hill and Conshohocken and have good schools, regional rail stations, and a Jewish community.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It seems that housing stock in all of those areas is a problem for the OP, and that appears to be a big sticking point. Lafayette Hill/Whitemarsh Township would be a good choice. You don’t have a 15 minute drive to the Main Line towns, but you are well-situated between Chestnut Hill and Conshohocken and have good schools, regional rail stations, and a Jewish community.
How is Wayne ? I saw some nice houses online somewhat in our budget. Looks like there are a few good schools there, a little farther out then other main line towns but stil close to the action and trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia