U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,334,972 times

Advertisements

The Italian area you're talking about is Overbrook Park, not Farms. Two different areas. Overbrook Park is largely mixed now, not just Italian. A very nice area, very walkable. Not close to downtown, but well served by bus transit.

Wynnefield is also still a beautiful area, the wine homes holding up well. The closer to St Joe's the better the housing stock, but more expensive of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Without knowing what your budget is, my first instinct is Naval Square, which is a gated community in Grad Ho, which is central to everything you are looking for, as well as near the Expressway if you need to get out of town easily. I don't think it's particularly Italian, though.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 21,470 times
My computer died on me. But, I'm back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Regarding Lansdowne: It seems to me that a lot of its residents would love for it to gentrify, and its west side is already pretty tony. Its main shopping district should have all the charm and vibrancy of Media's or Ardmore's, but it's not there yet. It has some of the finest early-20th-century housing stock of any area suburb. But unless and until the William Penn School District, which it shares with Darby, Colwyn and Yeadon, improves, it will probably never fully realize its potential.
I so agree with all of this. It's really very sad. And of course, Delco's taxes thwart any area that might want to better itself - not that I'd like to see it yuppiefied, but there's something to be said for not having to live with bars over your windows and gated storm doors. No one wants to pay $10K a year in taxes in a district like that (even with Prendie/Bonner are right up the Ave.). The idea of that school district having that much in taxes is laughable to begin with.

I had thought about Roxborough, have a friend who is in a section I like. Used to have friends in East Falls, I don't know the area as well as I might, but mostly what I see is rows. So I'd have to look into that a bit.

The area of Overbrook that I couldn't remember the name of was Morris Park - there's a park there by that name, people used to call the whole area that, it butted up against Overbrook Farms and sometimes people called it the Farms anyway.

We have pretty much decided on looking only at twin/single places. A row house for us would end up eventually being a first floor flat with storage upstairs, lol.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or