U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 AM

49 posts, read 34,872 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Downingtown is most definitely not the main line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 AM

1,361 posts, read 869,507 times
West Chester, Exton and Downingtown are all OK. My preference for Exton is due to the socio-economic demographics. It's also experiencing a lot of growth (which is not necessarily a good thing). Exton and Downingtown are essentially the same but the former has pricier housing. West Chester has some quieter/less congested pockets and you also have the option of living in the borough if it is what you want.

The housing market is currently very tight and there is limited inventory. I would keep an eye on the inventory and if you get something suitable in either of the 3 places you can make a move. It will mostly boil down to finding a house that suits you.

The distance from Newark should not be a major factor as you have "easy" access to 202 though West Chester is the closest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalob View Post
I work from home so I am flexible with location but I do have family near Newark so I don't want to go too far. Aside from race, I'm looking for somewhere family oriented, good schools, and safe. I'd like to get a house for 400k (Don't mind if I have to renovate it)

Why do to vote Exton?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM

406 posts, read 190,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The distance from Newark should not be a major factor as you have "easy" access to 202 though West Chester is the closest.
202 should be avoided whenever possible. It's convenient if you're going from Downtown West Chester to greater-Wilmington (or anywhere in between), but do not go out of your way to hit this main artery.

I commute on Route 52 between Pocopson, PA and Newport, DE and it's one of the most picturesque drives you can have in this part of the country (The Brandywine.com - Scenic Drives). Not to mention, its congestion level is the polar-opposite of 202. Creek Road / Old Route 100 is prettier, but it's winding and constantly plagued with potholes due to the Brandywine's proximity to the road - it's a nice treat when the weather is good, but not practical for an everyday commute.

Kennett Square to Newark would put you on Routes 7 and 72 which should also be a pleasant drive. There are also some prettier routes that are slightly out-of-the-way.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 02-20-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,450,284 times
I'm reading this again. Since you're going to Newark, live in Kennett Square area if you are happy with the square footage you can get. Otherwise, stick with West Grove. Can't go wrong.

If you are afraid of racial tension, just try to be polite, respectful, and don't give others attitude and that will probably take you very far. Try to get to know the community and the things to do- that will definitely help too.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM

76 posts, read 46,371 times
My Dad grew up on the Main Line and always used the "Old Maids Never Wed and Have Babies" mnemonic.

This from Wikipedia: The Main Line proper is a line of communities extending northwest from the City of Philadelphia. From Philadelphia, the stations on what is now referred to as the Paoli/Thorndale (formerly "R5") Line are: Overbrook,[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford and Bryn Mawr, which inspired the mnemonic "Old Maids Never Wed And Have Babies". The Main Line now encompasses many communities past Bryn Mawr including the Upper Main Line communities of Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor, St. Davids, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Daylesford, Paoli, and Malvern.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:51 PM

406 posts, read 190,649 times
Yes, and my point is that those communities past Bryn Mawr were once in Downingtown's shoes: on the R5 but not considered a Main Line town.

If I was buying a house in Downingtown today, in the back of my head, I would be thinking about how long it would take until "The Main Line" extends to it (I fully expect it will happen eventually). Until then though, it's only "technically on the Main Line". That was the point I was originally trying to get across, and I'll be the first to concede that Downingtown is not currently recognized as a Main Line town.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 AM

26,380 posts, read 11,699,305 times
The Realtors are now calling Exton, Downingtown, Chester Springs, and maybe even Glenmoore the "western main line". That's a joke to inflate real estate prices.

If you want "diversity" in Chester County Coatesville would be a place to go.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:47 PM

10,664 posts, read 6,243,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Robalob, I agree with going with Kennett Square, especially with your goal of getting to Newark.

Patmcpsu, I'm a little confused with your statement about Downingtown "technically being on the Main Line". I've never heard of it included in that group. I'm no Main Line expert, but I think of it as wikipedia has it defined - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line That might be a fun Philadelphia topic for discussion.
Correct. Downingtown is not on the Main Line. Or rather the traditional Main Line which ends in Paoli.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM

1,361 posts, read 869,507 times
I drove 2 trips on US202 Malvern to and from Chadds Ford during this morning and evening commutes. The morning traffic was OK, granted it was at 7 am but the 5 pm traffic on 202 South was a bit too much for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
202 should be avoided whenever possible. It's convenient if you're going from Downtown West Chester to greater-Wilmington (or anywhere in between), but do not go out of your way to hit this main artery.

I commute on Route 52 between Pocopson, PA and Newport, DE and it's one of the most picturesque drives you can have in this part of the country (The Brandywine.com - Scenic Drives). Not to mention, its congestion level is the polar-opposite of 202. Creek Road / Old Route 100 is prettier, but it's winding and constantly plagued with potholes due to the Brandywine's proximity to the road - it's a nice treat when the weather is good, but not practical for an everyday commute.

Kennett Square to Newark would put you on Routes 7 and 72 which should also be a pleasant drive. There are also some prettier routes that are slightly out-of-the-way.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:32 PM

12,845 posts, read 29,238,623 times
We lived in Garnet Valley, Delaware county for six years and I became very familiar with routes into Delaware. Avoiding 202 after 4:30 was important. Lots of lights and heavy traffic. I agree with Patmcpsu about route 52 and old route 100, which is why I think Kennett is the best choice. You can find some back road to get to Newark and just take 202 when you have to.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or