U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 PM

6,968 posts, read 3,354,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Robalob, I agree with going with Kennett Square, especially with your goal of getting to Newark.

Patmcpsu, I'm a little confused with your statement about Downingtown "technically being on the Main Line". I've never heard of it included in that group. I'm no Main Line expert, but I think of it as wikipedia has it defined - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line That might be a fun Philadelphia topic for discussion.
Traditionally, Paoli - where the "local" PRR commuter trains ended - marked the end of the Main Line.

I generally refer to anything past it as the "extended Main Line," but that really only encompasses as far as Malvern. Exton and Downingtown are beyond it, even though they do lie on the PRR Main Line/former Main Line of Public Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Kennett Square is sleepy and probably the least progressive of the places you've mentioned. Other than diversity, what else are you interested in and what is your budget? Where will you be working?

I'd vote for Exton (which is priciest). West Chester has the borough (and the suburbs) and would give you a different lifestyle. Downingtown is family oriented and probably has the highest percentage of African Americans.
Kennett may not hum with activity as much as Ardmore does, but the place isn't as sleepy as it used to be. One of the most beloved restaurants in this region, the you-have-to-reserve-a-spot-at-it-for-dinner-a-year-in-advance Talula's Table, is located there, and one of those weird Millennial sports, axe throwing, now has a home in a brewpub on the borough's south side.

As I was there on a promotional visit, I can't say how it goes for blacks there; they showed me a good time because I'm with Philly Mag. But the person who talked about Hispanics probably has it right, since they're the largest minority group in the borough. I hear the Kennett Consolidated School District is very good.

One of the 20 best high schools in the region, however, is Bayard Rustin High, the third and newest of the West Chester Area School District's schools. It's named for the gay black West Chester native who was the "power behind the throne" in the Civil Rights Movement and a key organizer of the 1963 March on Washington. I don't know whether this really stands as a proxy for race relations in the borough, but I do think it indicates that it's a little more progressive than Chester County in general. So was its declaring itself a "nuclear free zone" in the 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 AM

406 posts, read 190,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Kennett may not hum with activity as much as Ardmore does, but the place isn't as sleepy as it used to be. One of the most beloved restaurants in this region, the you-have-to-reserve-a-spot-at-it-for-dinner-a-year-in-advance Talula's Table, is located there, and one of those weird Millennial sports, axe throwing, now has a home in a brewpub on the borough's south side.
Kennett Square is at the nexus of farms and affluence, with a sizable hispanic population. In other words: the perfect formula for a culinary breakout. It has a reputation for being sleepy because of its past, but I predict it will become a culinary destination.

West Chester's food-scene, on the other hand, is highly regarded because of its past, but in all honesty, it has gotten pretty stale. There's a new Italian place that has lots of buzz (Andiario) but I haven't been there yet. Otherwise, it has become bland food that tries straddling the price-point between "college student date night" and "soccer mom's birthday".

I think MarketStEl summed everything up nicely about the area. Including grasping what I intended about Downingtown's relation to the Main Line.

I'll add that Cheyney University is within Rustin High School's jurisdiction. Cheyney is a historically black university, so I imagine that surrounding pocket is already well-used to black people (same goes with the previously mentioned Lincoln University near West Grove).

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 AM

26,346 posts, read 11,680,282 times
Great info guys. I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or