Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:30 AM

1,210 posts, read 941,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Northeast Philadelphia in the 1980's toyed with it. Search Liberty County.
That would me amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Philly should annex Delco westward down to but not including Chester. I looked up the pop and area numbers. Philly would have approximately 2 million give or take 50,000.And aproximately 240 square miles.
You posted this on one of the general city boards. Lol

Politically it's bonkers and probably impossible wrt incorporating part of one county into another.

Since the city, at its largest, was 2.1 million people there is plenty of room in the city to accommodate those numbers. That's what we should be striving for not trying to hijack part of a neighboring county.

Besides parts of Delco has some of the most vocal Negadelphians who behave like the city is the worse thing imaginable. So do you honestly think this is even feasible at all?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
That would me amazing!
You're joking right?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

And most of the border areas are higher income than other parts of the city. Heck some of these are were way outside the city's core going back decades. Many -- if not most of these residents moved as far out as possible, but still had to be in the city. Look at all the cops, firefighters, and teachers (and other city employees) who live in those areas.....they had to live in the city.....so they chose areas as close to outside the city as they could get, but still be inside. I'd bet that many of them identify with the neighboring suburb more than the city. The only thing about their life that has to do with Philly is their address and maybe their job.
You bring up one of the reasons I believe the PPD doesn't solve homicides now, for example, as quickly as they could: there's no city residential requirement hence they don't care about these cases because they don't actually care about making the city safer. Those cops who have no physical commitment to the city by living in it have less incentive to do as much as they can to solve crimes. Plus the current commissioner is an idiot so there's little inspiration from the top.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 AM

9,343 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Politically it's bonkers and probably impossible wrt incorporating part of one county into another.

Since the city, at its largest, was 2.1 million people there is plenty of room in the city to accommodate those numbers. That's what we should be striving for not trying to hijack part of a neighboring county.

Besides parts of Delco has some of the most vocal Negadelphians who behave like the city is the worse thing imaginable. So do you honestly think this is even feasible at all?
I noticed this too, lol. I wonder what doppelganger user this is...

The user also suggested for tons of high-rise public housing projects to increase density... guess they need a little history lesson too.

And I agree, totally pointless and it would cause an uproar on a good day. I think Philadelphia should focus on getting its own neighborhoods in order, and if anything I think some of the tiny boroughs in Eastern Delco that are struggling should combine into one or two townships, it would help the schools and tax base.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM

2,499 posts, read 4,400,041 times
Quote:
You bring up one of the reasons I believe the PPD doesn't solve homicides now, for example, as quickly as they could: there's no city residential requirement hence they don't care about these cases because they don't actually care about making the city safer. Those cops who have no physical commitment to the city by living in it have less incentive to do as much as they can to solve crimes. Plus the current commissioner is an idiot so there's little inspiration from the top.
This is where we are now? Police are so sensitive that their CEO has to be "inspiring" in order for them to do their gosh darned job?

It's a police force, not a startup company. They don't need Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to inspire them to go out and do their job. Are they confused about what they're supposed to be doing every day? Regardless of who is the top cop, does their job change?

That's part of the problem with police forces across the country. We kowtow to them too much instead of telling them to either do your job or quit - which is what we would do to anyone in the private sector.

And it shouldn't matter where you live, but the problem is we don't review performance of cops, and fire them if they don't measure up to standards. Instead cops can halfa$$ their jobs and still get paid and promoted.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 AM

938 posts, read 441,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
This is where we are now? Police are so sensitive that their CEO has to be "inspiring" in order for them to do their gosh darned job?

It's a police force, not a startup company. They don't need Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to inspire them to go out and do their job. Are they confused about what they're supposed to be doing every day? Regardless of who is the top cop, does their job change?

That's part of the problem with police forces across the country. We kowtow to them too much instead of telling them to either do your job or quit - which is what we would do to anyone in the private sector.

And it shouldn't matter where you live, but the problem is we don't review performance of cops, and fire them if they don't measure up to standards. Instead cops can halfa$$ their jobs and still get paid and promoted.
I knew a guy who got fired in the '90s for not doing enough on the job.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I noticed this too, lol. I wonder what doppelganger user this is...

The user also suggested for tons of high-rise public housing projects to increase density... guess they need a little history lesson too.

And I agree, totally pointless and it would cause an uproar on a good day. I think Philadelphia should focus on getting its own neighborhoods in order, and if anything I think some of the tiny boroughs in Eastern Delco that are struggling should combine into one or two townships, it would help the schools and tax base.
Upper Darby Twp is already huge. So huge that there's talk of building a new middle school.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,499,247 times
Quote:

In that case I guess you're right. Imo it would be a step forward though.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:10 AM

1,686 posts, read 948,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

The problem is that there aren't enough people out there that want to do the job. The guys on the force know that and know that they are perfectly secure with their jobs even if they stand around chatting all day.

It's not surprising. The violent crime in this town is unsettling. At any moment some drug crazed loonie can walk right up and shoot you dead. I was in Greys Ferry over the weekend and while there are signs of life sprouting up, there are parts of that area that look like Beirut. Recruiting cops to walk into the war zone that surrounds Center City (and spills into) is a challenge. And the overweight, lazy cops on the force know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia