Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,435 times

Advertisements

We want her to be able to walk or ride public transportation to university. We will buy a home/condo since she will be in the area for many years. Currently looking at Fishtown. She would really like to be in the city and fairly close to school vs suburbs. Any suggestions or recommendations? We have a pretty good budget but would love to stay 300k or below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
not sure what your budget is but fishtown is extremely pricey for homes. South philly might be better because she could commute taking the subway which will drop her off right at the campus.
Have you considered just renting for the time she is at school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitmom3 View Post
We want her to be able to walk or ride public transportation to university. We will buy a home/condo since she will be in the area for many years. Currently looking at Fishtown. She would really like to be in the city and fairly close to school vs suburbs. Any suggestions or recommendations? We have a pretty good budget but would love to stay 300k or below.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 AM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Fishtown is not a great option for Temple with public transportation because it's on a different line, so you have to switch at some point (either from the trolley on Girard or the Market-Frankford line) to the Broad St line. I guess there are probably buses that go directly to Temple, but I'm not as familiar with the bus routes. Walking is doable as far as distance, but I wouldn't recommend walking alone. If you're looking at Fishtown for a Temple student, I think Uber/Lyft would be my recommended mode of transportation.

If ease of public transportation is a primary consideration, then I'd recommend sticking to somewhere along the Broad St line, like Spring Garden/Francisville or maybe a little further south like Bella Vista or Graduate Hospital or even Passyunk Square.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Quote:
First of all, congrats to your daughter on getting admitted to Temple! I'm a recent grad (Fox '18), and I have nothing but good things to say about my alma mater.

Is your daughter looking for more of a city feel, or something a little greener? If the answer is the former, then South Philly would work well with your price range. $300K can buy you a new construction in parts of Point Breeze. Fishtown also could theoretically work, depending on where you'd buy. The 3 bus will take your daughter along Cecil B. Moore Ave, which runs directly through the heart of campus. You should also look into South Kensington, which is directly west of Fishtown.

If your daughter is looking for something with a little more green space, then Manayunk would be a great option! I knew several people who went to Main, but lived in Northwest Philly. With that said, Mount Airy and parts of Germantown would also work. West Philly is another area to look at, though it may be a bit of a stretch. If your daughter stays south of Market and west of 52nd Street, then $300K could buy a spacious condo in a gorgeous Victorian within close proximity to a trolley line or the El (the Market-Frankford Line).

Best of luck with the search!

Old 03-26-2019, 12:10 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:

There appear to be lots of apartment rentals designed for students very near to Temple campus. Why is it necessary to buy? One example off the internet below.

https://pursuevantage.com/?gclid=EAI...iAAEgIhM_D_BwE

Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
I would consider the Fairhill or Hunting Park areas because they are relatively close to Temple, and also residential and rich in public transit. You can buy a shell for 15K or a full on house for 30 to 35K.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
The site www.collegeconfidential.com there you can ask questions about this at the parents forum.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I would consider the Fairhill or Hunting Park areas because they are relatively close to Temple, and also residential and rich in public transit. You can buy a shell for 15K or a full on house for 30 to 35K.
No offense, but there is no way in hell I would have my 18 year old single daughter living in Fairhill or Hunting Park to go to college.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
May be a stupid question, but does Temple not have on campus dorms?

Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
I would suggest a condo in Spring Garden. You are only 3 stops via the Broad St. line to Temple's campus. Beautiful area. Halfway between Temple and City Hall.

I lived there during my Temple years and it worked out well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: