Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:14 PM

938 posts, read 440,874 times

Advertisements

https://6abc.com/community-events/me...ation/5241057/

And, of course, our spineless mayor declares there's nothing we can do ... What a loser.

I've been down there, it's creepy and disgusting because of the bums and junkies. Aren't there laws against loitering? How about allowing the police to actually police the area and remove the filth who are just lazing about?
It's a joke how the scum get to ruin whatever they want and the good people don't have a say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 AM

409 posts, read 364,731 times
New York City seems to know how to manage the homeless. Philly's answer is only 99 miles away.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,197,273 times
Penn Station in New York is the most comparable to this.

The biggest differences there....

1. The station is constantly packed with people going every which way so there isn't much space for homeless to set up shop or poop in public.

2. There are police and army people EVERYWHERE.

3. Leaders and police in New York do not act like social workers, I see them on the daily either booting homeless out or moving them along.

There are plenty of weird people in Penn, but the drugs and violence and such is definitely not as prevalent, and cops aren't afraid to throw people out. The situation in Philadelphia is a tough one, because where else are they going to go?

Philadelphia is in a different economic situation than Manhattan AND the substance abuse problem here seems far worse.

But at least the homeless can use cash at Sweet Green now... (sorry, my sarcasm of council focusing on the real issues facing the city).

Last edited by cpomp; 04-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 AM

333 posts, read 278,660 times
Quote:
The mayor says he plans to send people from the commerce department to talk to some of the merchants and assure them that they are doing things but that it's just a very difficult problem that they're dealing with.
Assurances without action are pretty meaningless.

I'm less alarmist than most when it comes to these kind of city issues, but Suburban Station really is an embarrassment. I'm a fairly hardened city dweller, and the things I've seen down there have disturbed even me. I can't imagine what a tourist or suburban visitor would think.

And it's not just the station, either. I've noticed an increasingly aggressive homeless population on the subways and streets as well, and not just in Center City--they're creeping into South Philly, too. I get that this is a multifaceted issue, but doing nothing clearly isn't working.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:40 AM

1,680 posts, read 945,375 times
Guy's I can assure you that the homeless problem in NY is just as bad. It always amazes me how NY gets a pass on that.

This is another topic that gets brought up again and again but Philly is about on par with NY whether people will acknowledge that or not. And it's far better than say, San Francisco. Hell, I spent most of last year in Boulder, CO last year and can say without a doubt tat the per capita percentage of homeless is far greater than Philly.

All that said, I agree with those who are outraged that that population is allowed to literally **** on the business owners in Suburban while the city does nothing.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM

744 posts, read 766,527 times
It is really bad in suburban station and it is much worse if you take the train on a Saturday or Sunday. A few months back I took the train to suburban with plans to walk to the BSL. As soon as I came up the stairs the smell the hit me; it was extremely unsettling and I saw no real police presence either. The short walk to the BSL was like walking through a gauntlet and I got asked for money at least a dozen times. It has gotten noticeably worse since Kenney took office. Although I'm sure the opioid epidemic is a contributing factor using it as an excuse is a cop out. Its not like Philly didn't have more than its fair share of junkies before Kenney took office.

They obviously need to be forcibly removed but Kenney is too scared to do anything because he thinks it will hurt his progressive credentials. I am all in favor of providing services to these people but I'm not sure what good we are doing by providing a place for them to get high and live in their own filth, especially at the cost of one of our most important train stations. If they don't want to get mental health help and/or get clean then they don't get to be comfortable at our expense. I can't even imagine what its like down there for the Vendors.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM

1,680 posts, read 945,375 times
I mean, is there a law that says you can't forcibly remove people from a public place if they are living there in filth?

This is unacceptable. This needs to be called out. Even the most progressive liberal out there would agree that moving this along would be completely within the rights of law enforcement especially given the negative impacts to the businesses in that station. This is just ridiculous.

It's like when trump says he wont show his taxes because he's under audit. It's a cop out.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,851 times
I wouldn't really say New York has solved it's homeless problem. Every time I'm in Penn Station, it is packed with plenty of homeless people bumming for money. It only adds to the disgustingness of that place. Also, the NYC subway has FAR more crazies and panhandlers than Philadelphia, which makes sense considering it has 6x the people.

That being said, Suburban is an embarrassment and homeless people shouldn't be allowed to ruin an important commuter hub. They need to start proactively clearing them out as a quality of life issue. I'm about as progressive as they come, but I'll never understand why the rights of people who contribute nothing to the general well-being of society take precedent over those of us who do. I walk by the Sunday Breakfast Association every morning on my way to work, and the homeless who shelter there and then hang out all day have trashed and pillaged the entire area around it.

Homelessness is a notoriously difficult problem, but just giving them free reign to ruin things and harass people who actually contribute is unacceptable.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
New York City seems to know how to manage the homeless. Philly's answer is only 99 miles away.
There's a homeless "center" under Suburban Station. It's was partially paid for by Bon Jovi. That's probably not helping though it's supposed to.

And useless Septa cops now have a "booth" in the main area of the station. Are they just hanging out? Sitting? Who the hell knows?

I was in the station main area last Friday, mid-day, and I didn't see any homeless.

I will be in NYC this Saturday. I can report what I see.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Penn Station in New York is the most comparable to this.

The biggest differences there....

1. The station is constantly packed with people going every which way so there isn't much space for homeless to set up shop or poop in public.

2. There are police and army people EVERYWHERE.

3. Leaders and police in New York do not act like social workers, I see them on the daily either booting homeless out or moving them along.

There are plenty of weird people in Penn, but the drugs and violence and such is definitely not as prevalent, and cops aren't afraid to throw people out. The situation in Philadelphia is a tough one, because where else are they going to go?

Philadelphia is in a different economic situation than Manhattan AND the substance abuse problem here seems far worse.

But at least the homeless can use cash at Sweet Green now... (sorry, my sarcasm of council focusing on the real issues facing the city).
The "drug zone in Kensington got cleaned up. That, as I understsnd it, is part of what's going on.

One more time, can you millennials USE YOUR POWER AT THE BALLOT BOX??? And stop bitching and run for office.

OT comment. NY(Brooklyn/Williamsburg) is waiting until now to deal with a ridiculous measles outbreak right now. So, yeah, everything is great there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia