Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times

Advertisements

Last week, I decided to take a walk from Fishtown to Center City. My leg was injured to the point where I couldn't run, so I decided to take a walk instead. When I walk through Fishtown, I'll usually take either Frankford or Girard Avenue, depending on where I'm trying to go; however, I decided to walk along Moyer and Thompson Streets that day.

Seeing all of the young families in the neighborhood was a beautiful sight! All around me were fellow young professionals with either baby strollers or babies in their arms. As I passed Penn Treaty, I began to imagine what the future will be like when I have kids and they're ready to start attending school since I plan to buy a house and raise them in the city. My girlfriend also loves the city and doesn't want to leave (assuming we'll last that long), so something like that isn't out of the realm of possibility.

This walk also compelled me to pose this question: which neighborhoods do you think will make the transition from neighborhoods that attract young professionals to more family-oriented neighborhoods?

I think that, if Spruce Hill, Queen Village, most CC neighborhoods, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties haven't already made the transition, they eventually will. I also feel like Fishtown, Francisville, Fairmount, Graduate Hospital, East Passyunk Square, South Kensington, and Brewerytown will also make this transition, though it'll take a little longer. The wild cards are Germantown, East Mount Airy, Point Breeze, East Kensington, Walnut Hill, Cedar Park, and Cobbs Creek. The latter three will make the transition if Penn ends up backing another school (say, Lea?), as Penn has extended the boundaries of its employee homeownership assistance program as far west as 56th Street.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Last week, I decided to take a walk from Fishtown to Center City. My leg was injured to the point where I couldn't run, so I decided to take a walk instead. When I walk through Fishtown, I'll usually take either Frankford or Girard Avenue, depending on where I'm trying to go; however, I decided to walk along Moyer and Thompson Streets that day.

Seeing all of the young families in the neighborhood was a beautiful sight! All around me were fellow young professionals with either baby strollers or babies in their arms. As I passed Penn Treaty, I began to imagine what the future will be like when I have kids and they're ready to start attending school since I plan to buy a house and raise them in the city. My girlfriend also loves the city and doesn't want to leave (assuming we'll last that long), so something like that isn't out of the realm of possibility.

This walk also compelled me to pose this question: which neighborhoods do you think will make the transition from neighborhoods that attract young professionals to more family-oriented neighborhoods?

I think that, if Spruce Hill, Queen Village, most CC neighborhoods, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties haven't already made the transition, they eventually will. I also feel like Fishtown, Francisville, Fairmount, Graduate Hospital, East Passyunk Square, South Kensington, and Brewerytown will also make this transition, though it'll take a little longer. The wild cards are Germantown, East Mount Airy, Point Breeze, East Kensington, Walnut Hill, Cedar Park, and Cobbs Creek. The latter three will make the transition if Penn ends up backing another school (say, Lea?), as Penn has extended the boundaries of its employee homeownership assistance program as far west as 56th Street.

What do you all think?
Fairmount/Spring Garden/parts of Francisville have already made the transition and are in full swing of it. Still lots of young people of all kinds. Still some old heads like me but less and less.

My mind is blown on daily basis with the number of babies/toddlers and children in general. I saw two pregnant women this morning.

Five years ago there were not this number of kids at all.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
There are a ton of families with little kids in Newbold where I live.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Factor in playgrounds, etc while you are evaluating things.

In Spring Garden there's the Roberto Clemente playground with the adjacent basketball court and atheletic field. In Fairmount, there's the Von Colln playground which was recently re-done. There's also a beautiful new dog park in SG.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
I wish parts of the Northeast would start to transition.

Frankford, Tacony, Summerdale, Lawncrest, etc.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I wish parts of the Northeast would start to transition.

Frankford, Tacony, Summerdale, Lawncrest, etc.
I was in Oxford Circle and Rawnhurst yesterday. Nothing looks that visually wrong...houses look okay and so on. But there was little to no energy on Caster Ave for instance. There are some decent mom and pop places which is part of why I go to the NE in the first place. But compared to where I go on a day to day basis in CC, in W. Philly or S. Philly it's boring in those neighborhoods.

There has to a reason for "outside" people to actually go there.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
well back when I lived in that area it was far from "boring". Alot of crime and drugs in those neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I was in Oxford Circle and Rawnhurst yesterday. Nothing looks that visually wrong...houses look okay and so on. But there was little to no energy on Caster Ave for instance. There are some decent mom and pop places which is part of why I go to the NE in the first place. But compared to where I go on a day to day basis in CC, in W. Philly or S. Philly it's boring in those neighborhoods.

There has to a reason for "outside" people to actually go there.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
well back when I lived in that area it was far from "boring". Alot of crime and drugs in those neighborhoods.
Yesterday I saw some young Orthodox Jewish couples, one couple had twin boys(toddlers) north of Glendale Ave. Don't think they would tolerate the level of crime you suggest.

Anyhow the majority of millennials, even the ones with children, don't think these neighborhoods are " cool". It's part of why too many of them skip over these neighborhood when they shouldn't.

A fantastic Brazilian restaurant, that I really like, is on Caster. How many Mills hanging out in Fishtown have a clue about it? Few probably.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Hey, don't forget about QV's southern neighbor, Pennsport. This area is starting to boom with families, as you get way more house for your money, the taxes are much lower and the parking is substantially easier as compared to QV. On a nice Saturday, you might see several dozen babies at Dickinson Sq. Park over the course of the day. Now because QV includes the Meredith catchment, I think residents there are in it for the long term. I'm not sure I see the young families in Pennsport staying in the neighborhood when their kids reach school age. Although to be honest, I have no idea of the quality of the schools in my neighborhood - they might be perfectly fine for all I know.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
East Mount Airy has long been family-friendly; it just happens to be primarily Black families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia