Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep. What was it, the El or the trolleys that had seats that looked lie woven tan wicker? Gosh, I'm old to remember this...

My first paid job, other than baby-sitting, was selling soft pretzels @ the 69th St. terminal in my pre-senior year summer. Talk about hot, being cooped up in that little booth with the pretzels baking...

Think my pay was like 90 cents/hour...
The El. Those trains were the original ones from 1907 when the El opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I was so happy to learn that the former eagle at Wannamker's eagle is still in residence at Macy's...how many of us met people "under the eagle"???

But I do miss Horn & Hardhardt's Automat...as a kid I found that place so magical...

And the Mutter Museum is still as interesting & creepy as ever. When we did a field trip there in grade school, that place haunted my dreams--all those things floating in jars...

The walk-through heart at the science museum was much more my speed...(shades of Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart"??
The Wanamaker Organ is still very much there. And the entire bldg is the Wanamaker Bldg. Most of it is an office bldg now.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Try riding it (standing room only) eight months pregnant in July before a/c. Regional Rail trains with open windows blowing in hot air.
I would have given you my seat or found one for you. My son is quite sure that someone is going to beat me to death because I've ticked them off.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:30 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Wow, this is wonderful to read! Usually people come back and b*tch about how the city has changed, isn't the same, gotten worse, blah blah. I love my hometown and go back at least twice a year. If not for the cold and my arthritis, I'd still be there. No matter where I live, I will always be a Philadelphian.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:52 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Wanamaker Organ is still very much there. And the entire bldg is the Wanamaker Bldg. Most of it is an office bldg now.
I believe the organ just has a nice restoration, I saw the unveiling on FB last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, this is wonderful to read! Usually people come back and b*tch about how the city has changed, isn't the same, gotten worse, blah blah. I love my hometown and go back at least twice a year. If not for the cold and my arthritis, I'd still be there. No matter where I live, I will always be a Philadelphian.
Agreed. Its good to see older residents embrace and appreciate changes.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I often go to city neighborhoods in the NE that some folks say have gotten worse. Well, a couple weeks ago I was in the lower NE in Rhawnhurst and I was very surprised to see a branch of Bryn Mawr Trust on Castor Ave. Seriously a venerable
Main Line financial institution like BMT would not be there if it was going to hell and that's the truth.

Yes, that was great post to read. It almost sounded like the OP was upset that he had to leave.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I believe the organ just has a nice restoration, I saw the unveiling on FB last week.

Agreed. Its good to see older residents embrace and appreciate changes.
Oh wow, about the organ! I had not heard that!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I often go to city neighborhoods in the NE that some folks say have gotten worse. Well, a couple weeks ago I was in the lower NE in Rhawnhurst and I was very surprised to see a branch of Bryn Mawr Trust on Castor Ave. Seriously a venerable
Main Line financial institution like BMT would not be there if it was going to hell and that's the truth.

Yes, that was great post to read. It almost sounded like the OP was upset that he had to leave.
That's me--and I was sorry to leave. I left my heart in Philadelphia! You can take the girl out of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the girl.

My DH, a Michigan-native, told me it was one of his best vacations, too!

We'll be back! Still a bunch of museums we missed and want to go to more theater productions and live music...classical, jazz, blues, etc. Missed a lot of neighborhoods I want to see...we stayed in the Fairmont area and it was delightful to be able to walk to so much...and the 33 bus was very convenient....

Took the train from Suburban Station to Landsdowne to visit with old High School friends. We came to Phila. via train and 30th St. Station is a jewel!

I have come back to PA more often than every 50 years, but have stayed in the 'burbs with family and so this time in Center City was all new to me. The burbs are pretty, but culturally, the City is where it's at!

I'd move back in a heartbeat, but the cost of living rules that out...I'm mostly retired except for some journalism and book-writing...and a smidgeon of pet-sitting (writing a book about those pet-sitting adventures..fingers and toes crossed on finding an agent or publisher...)

Old 06-04-2019, 06:05 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
That's me--and I was sorry to leave. I left my heart in Philadelphia! You can take the girl out of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the girl.

We'll be back! Still a bunch of museums we missed and want to go to more theater productions and live music...classical, jazz, blues, etc. Missed a lot of neighborhoods I want to see...we stayed in the Fairmont area and it was delightful to be able to walk to so much...and the 33 bus was very convenient....

Took the train from Suburban Station to Landsdowne to visit with old High School friends. We came to Phila. via train and 30th St. Station is a jewel!

I have come back to PA more often than every 50 years, but have stayed in the 'burbs with family and so this time in Center City was all new to me. The burbs are pretty, but culturally, the City is where it's at!

I'd move back in a heartbeat, but the cost of living rules that out...I'm mostly retired except for some journalism and book-writing...and a smidgeon of pet-sitting (writing a book about those pet-sitting adventures..fingers and toes crossed on finding an agent or publisher...)
Look forward to reading it.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I live next to Fairmount in Spring Garden.

One frequent poster retired here from Houston. PA does not tax any retirement income so that does help some COL issues for seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia