U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,247,892 times

Advertisements

Not trying to pile on here, but I'm also perplexed by the characterization of Collegeville and/or Phoenixville as "rural" (although if one comes from Philly, the vast majority of the US looks somewhat "rural" by comparison, I suppose).

Maybe 60 years ago? But today they're very much in the thick of classic, middle-to-upper-middle class Montco/Chesco suburbia. Certainly more open spaces than, say, Conshohocken and perhaps a few old school "townies" sprinkled in, but you don't start hitting true "bumpkin" country until at least 10 miles further west or north of Philly in very upper MontCo or ChesCo, and even that line is being pushed back by continued suburbanization (trust me, these are my old stomping grounds).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 PM

921 posts, read 572,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not trying to pile on here, but I'm also perplexed by the characterization of Collegeville and/or Phoenixville as "rural" (although if one comes from Philly, the vast majority of the US looks somewhat "rural" by comparison, I suppose).

Maybe 60 years ago? But today they're very much in the thick of classic, middle-to-upper-middle class Montco/Chesco suburbia. Certainly more open spaces than, say, Conshohocken and perhaps a few old school "townies" sprinkled in, but you don't start hitting true "bumpkin" country until at least 10 miles further west or north of Philly in very upper MontCo or ChesCo, and even that line is being pushed back by continued suburbanization (trust me, these are my old stomping grounds).
Well, to address your post, I would consider Conshy solidly suburban and Collegeville/Phoenixville rather rural. Note: don't confuse suburban v. rural as a monetary debate. CV and Phoenixville are irrefutably well-off areas.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 PM

119 posts, read 78,558 times
Is there a reason you’re limiting yourself to Downingtown and Collegeville? As others have mentioned, Phoenixville has a very lively downtown with much more to do than either of those towns but still is safe, has great family neighborhoods and has good schools. In my opinion, it’s a better place to live than Collegeville or Downingtown but of course it depends on what you’re looking for.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 AM

30,099 posts, read 13,153,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Well, to address your post, I would consider Conshy solidly suburban and Collegeville/Phoenixville rather rural. Note: don't confuse suburban v. rural as a monetary debate. CV and Phoenixville are irrefutably well-off areas.
Collegeville, and Phoenixville are anything but rural. Wow. Have you been there lately?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Collegeville, and Phoenixville are anything but rural. Wow. Have you been there lately?
I have. I’m there every single week multiple times. I guess I have a different interpretation of suburban vs rural than you. No worries, I’m not passing judgement. I think they’re both great little towns in their own respects.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 AM

30,099 posts, read 13,153,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I have. I’m there every single week multiple times. I guess I have a different interpretation of suburban vs rural than you. No worries, I’m not passing judgement. I think they’re both great little towns in their own respects.
I understand, you are probably just used to more density than I am, although I was born in the city. Both those areas have become suburban sprawl just like Exton, Downingtown, Lionville, and farther north along Route 100. Toll Brothers BOUGHT my entire township about 15 - 20 years ago, and are still building all over.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I understand, you are probably just used to more density than I am, although I was born in the city. Both those areas have become suburban sprawl just like Exton, Downingtown, Lionville, and farther north along Route 100. Toll Brothers BOUGHT my entire township about 15 - 20 years ago, and are still building all over.
It’s not the density for me. It’s more of a general feel and the people I meet. I get a very different vibe from a bar/restaurant in Phoenixville/Collegeville than say a Conshy/Plymouth Whitemarsh or even any town along the Main Line or KOP for that matter. Not saying it’s a bad vibe. Everyone is quite friendly. It’s just way more rural in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,643,426 times
I think Downingtown and Collegeville could be accurately described as "rural suburban" and Kennett Square I feel would fit this description well too. They are so far from the city that it feels like quite a drive, have a decent amount of places to go at for a rural like setting, but close enough that people would be willing to consider to make the effort to go to the city.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I think Downingtown and Collegeville could be accurately described as "rural suburban" and Kennett Square I feel would fit this description well too. They are so far from the city that it feels like quite a drive, have a decent amount of places to go at for a rural like setting, but close enough that people would be willing to consider to make the effort to go to the city.
Yeah, that’s a fair description and assessment.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM

69 posts, read 89,256 times
OP again. thanks for all the responses. P-ville is mostly out for us b/c the school system doesn't seem as strong. We are right now in a very highly ranked district. Other areas that are also on the table are Aubudon/Trooper, Exton, and a few others like that. We can also stay where we are and keep a great school and location but lack house sf footage.

We have been to P-ville a lot and love it. Collegeville seems much more rural and far less vibrant which is one of my concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia