Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 12,362 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was hoping to get a little insight from the local experts on this forum. My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Philadelphia within the year, maybe less. We currently live in the Dallas suburbs and are ready for a serious change. Long story short, we are tired of living in the South, in suburban sprawl, the ridiculous 100+ degree summers, no seasons, etc, etc, etc...

We decided on Philly for numerous reasons. First, its a large city with many walkable areas and has a well developed public transportation system. In other words, we don't need to be slaves to our cars up there the way we are down here. Second, it's centrally located and really close to other large metro areas like NYC and DC. Plus, you can easily get to those cities by train. Also, relatively close to beaches.

Mainly, we want to be in a city that has history, has actual real neighborhoods with sidewalks, shops and restaurants right along the sidewalk, public transport, people from all over the world...all those larger city things. I'm going to fill out the survey and paste it here in this post, but I just wanted to point out one thing. I'm a pilot and would fly out of PHL airport..so I would like to remain within a 40 minute drive of the airport if possible. Other than that, somewhere that is safe and has good public schools as we have a 4 year old. We want to rent to start, house or apartment. Doesn't matter. Ideally in the $1800 to $2300/month range. Thanks for all the help!

When are you moving? Within the year
Where are you coming from? Dallas/Ft Worth
Why are you moving? Looking for a change.
Where will you be working? Philadelphia International Airport, technically
Have you been here yet? Briefly

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Doesn't matter. Preferably a house or townhouse. Budget is between $1800 to $2300 a month.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either one. A hi-rise would be nice

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married. One 4 year old for now.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public. Open to Private if absolutely needed.
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Don't need one. Would be a bonus.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? A mix of both, but leaning heavily towards bustling activity.

What do you want to be closest to?
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations

Walking distance to all of the above. It's one of the main reasons we are wanting to move to Philly. For work, as long as I can get to the airport within a 40ish minute drive I'm happy.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Water..and Coffee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:50 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
Springfield delco, maybe Media if in your budget, Ridley Park is okay, and all close enough to the airport definitely. You could definitely do Broomall and maybe Marple or Newtown Square.

Ridley Park's SD is okay, but the rest are under more reputable school districts.

Wallingford you can consider as well.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Springfield delco, maybe Media if in your budget, Ridley Park is okay, and all close enough to the airport definitely. You could definitely do Broomall and maybe Marple or Newtown Square.

Ridley Park's SD is okay, but the rest are under more reputable school districts.

Wallingford you can consider as well.
Thank you for the suggestions! I have also been seriously thinking of Spruce Hill and the University City area. Any insight into that part of town? From browsing the forums I know I need to stay east of 52nd st..but the rest of that area seems really nice.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVector View Post
Thank you for the suggestions! I have also been seriously thinking of Spruce Hill and the University City area. Any insight into that part of town? From browsing the forums I know I need to stay east of 52nd st..but the rest of that area seems really nice.
Spruce Hill, and the neighborhood just south of it, Clark Park, are good neighborhoods and offer what you mentioned: an urban area with walkable streets. You probably already know they are just west of UPenn and Children's Hospital of Phila.

Wrt schools, either neighbor would put you in the Sadie Alexander(Penn)School catchment area. It's a K-8 school.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:19 PM

273 posts, read 317,737 times
Hello-

Let me offer my perspective since my situation is not entirely dissimilar. I’m not a pilot but have a young child approaching school age—and I travel frequently, so airport accessibility is a major plus. I was looking at walkable, community-oriented suburbs a couple of years ago, and though I found a truly fantastic one (Media), I’m now looking to relocate to Center City.

I grew up in Pennsylvania but didn’t truly appreciate the assets we enjoy in much of the Northeast until I moved away from the region. I lived near San Francisco for several years (and loved that city despite becoming a playground for the ultra wealthy), but I missed having any semblance of weather, the proximity to other major cities, and also the sense of honesty and community that I saw in the Northeast much more than in the West. But for me, the major wake-up call was the year I spent living in Tampa after leaving S.F.—probably similar in many ways to urban Texas. Brutal, unrelenting heat and humidity, endless cookie-cutter suburban sprawl, very limited public transportation, and no real sense of community.

After looking at various suburbs with transit access to Philadelphia, my wife and I decided to move to Media. In many ways, it offers everything you could want from “town living”—a bustling main street (State Street) lined with restaurants and shops, frequent community festivals and events, a public library, a community playroom, doctors and dentists offices, etc.—all on a compact, walkable street grid. Media has decent connections to Philadelphia with both a Regional Rail line (commuter train) into Center City as well as a trolley line that connects to Philadelphia's Market-Frankford Line (a subway). And while the airport isn’t really convenient via transit from Media, it’s a fairly short ten-mile drive away. The local school district (Rose Tree Media) is top-notch. In your price range, you could definitely afford something, but if you’re looking to rent a complete, detached house, you might find that your budget’s a little short.

But as a complete community, Media is far and away the best suburban option that’s relatively close to the airport. Swarthmore is cute college town, but once you’ve gone through the town’s few storefronts (about enough to populate the set of a stage play), there’s not much left. Springfield is really just auto-centric postwar suburbia with a trolley line running through it. Broomall is also suburbia (minus Springfield’s trolley line).

My only real dissatisfaction with Media (aside from the lack of cycling opportunities, being a bike rider myself) is that it’s just far enough from Center City to make casual trips a nuisance. By the time I’ve walked to the trolley, transferred to the subway, and then walked to my final destination, 90 minutes may have passed. Regional Rail trains are a little quicker (no transfer required), but they’re much less frequent. That’s fine for a predictable commute, but when you’d like to go out for dinner, attend an evening event, etc., the travel inconvenience becomes a major impediment.

My wife and I were originally discouraged from living in the city for two reasons: the wage tax and the misguided blanket fear of city schools. The wage tax certainly still is a consideration, as the city charges nearly 5% to all residents. (Suburban townships and boroughs typically charge about 1%—although property taxes are often higher.) In the case of my wife and myself, we’ve just decided that it’s a reasonable price of admission for what is arguably one of the best (and most affordable) urban living experiences in the country. (Plus, from Center City, you can take a quick single-seat train ride to the airport—no driving necessary.)

On the issue of schools, lots of nattering nabobs (many of them suburbanites who couldn’t care less about the city) tend to paint all Philadelphia public schools as with a broad (and invariably negative) brush. But the schools are not all as hopeless as the detractors would like to make them out to be. In Philadelphia, most “elementary” schools actually span grades K-8, and the elementary school your child attends depends on the “catchment” area in which you reside. Center City has a couple of solid public elementary schools: Albert M. Greenfield (which covers the area west of Broad, south of Franklin Parkway, north of South Street, and east of the Schuylkill River) and George A. McCall (east of Broad, south of I-676, north of South Street, and west of the Delaware River). Also earning fairly high marks is Meredith (roughly Queen Village area: south of South, east of 9th, north of Christian).

The situation in University City is a bit more complex. Penn Alexander (with a catchment roughly south of Sansom Street and north of Chester Avenue, between 40th and 46th Streets), is a very highly ranked school and is the beneficiary of support from its Ivy League neighbor, the University of Pennsylvania. But because the demand for enrollment has exceeded the school’s capacity, living within the catchment area no longer guarantees admission. The school did a first-come, first-served enrollment for a while but implemented a lottery system in 2014 that remains today. I have no idea what the odds of “winning” the lottery are or what other schools are offered as the backup options.

I hope some of the above helps. Let me know if I can answer any further questions. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
Quote:
If you decide on anything within city limits and you don't end up in a desirable school, cyber school can be your backup as long as you don't mind being with your kids for schooling.
If you kid was older, maybe middle school and definitely high school age, and if they were self-motivators or if you could be on them if necessary, and/or if they were a super genius, even if only a genius in say math but not other subjects, or a like a star athlete or entertainer for instance, cyber school is a great option.

Philadelphia as a whole is not a great school district, but it does have its gems which are very conditionally based.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:05 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Okaaay, SkyVector, I'm just gonna throw this out there: Are you a Cowboys fan? 'Cause, you know, you're moving to a city where I wouldn't walk around wearing Cowboys attire.

Ha ha, just kidding, as I'm sure you know this.

I grew up in the Philly burbs and I think it's the greatest city ever, for all the reasons both you and briantroutman mentioned. (I'm only in FL because I inherited a condo that was paid-for, and now at my old age my blood is too thin to come back LOL!) I did fly up for the Eagles parade (of course) and I took a train right from the airport to center city. (It has a stop in University City, too.) I would live in the city, if I could. I still go to my dentist in center city and I just love the vibe and energy. I just don't know how having a four-year-old factors in to the equation, but I'm sure others can help.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:34 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Did you check the thread linked below?

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...lp-needed.html

Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM

Wow..thanks for the amazing replies! briantroutman, great post. You know where I'm coming from. Literally and figuratively. I'm definitely looking to get away from the McMansion suburbia that is so prevalent down here in the South. Thanks to your post I've actually shifted our search from University City to Center City.

Originally I wasn't considering Center City much because I didn't think schools would be any good. But from what it seems there are actually a number of good ones in there...I had no idea. I want our son (and future kids) to have that city life and experience. I think it's good for them to not be afraid to walk down busy streets, take public transportation, be around crowds, and have a level of independence that cul-de-sac kids could only dream of.

Not to mention how amazing it will be for all of us to be able to walk to the grocery store, the market, to museums, restaurants, etc.. Hence why we want to stay in a walkable area as much as possible. The direct train line to PHL is an added bonus.

How is crime in Center City? I'm not afraid of city living by any means. We aren't your typical suburban Texans who lived in a bubble and are afraid of the outside world. Far from it..big reason why we are moving in the first place. But with that being said...since I do travel for a living I would like the peace of mind knowing that my family is safe while I'm gone. Relatively speaking, of course.

Any more suggestions or advice you guys can give would be very welcome. We are looking to move around May of next year, so we have a little time for research..plus we are planning numerous trips up starting next month to look around.

And don't worry. No Cowboys fans here Although I can easily see myself becoming an Eagles fan. I've already begun following the Phillies and Flyers! Thanks again, everyone!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
How is crime in Center City? I'm not afraid of city living by any means. We aren't your typical suburban Texans who lived in a bubble and are afraid of the outside world. Far from it..big reason why we are moving in the first place. But with that being said...since I do travel for a living I would like the peace of mind knowing that my family is safe while I'm gone. Relatively speaking, of course.
We’re an older gay couple that moved to Center City from Houston when I retired 8+ years ago. We have never felt unsafe. Why? There are people everywhere we go. It’s kinda hard to commit a crime with people everywhere. It doesn’t mean that random crimes don’t occur. But you’re never really safe anywhere, are you? And since your wife and child won’t be making last call at Old City bars, their chance of being crime victims are much diminished.

I’ll also point out there is a noticeable uptick in the number of strollers we see plying the sidewalks over the past 8 years. There should really be a stroller crossing in Fitler Square. The city has grown more family friendly even in the short time we’ve lived here.

I see you plan to hop on a plane (you’re a pilot, after all) and spend a few days exploring. You can walk by properties in your budget and see with your own eyes what you can afford. We actually booked time with a realtor, being up front that we were only exploring and not ready to purchase. They are fine with that. If Center City is too busy, too expensive or too anything else, the neighborhoods ringing CC are pretty fantastic themselves. And if you do decide to move to the suburbs, they are different here. They are not sprawling with strip centers, or the new fake town centers being developed from scratch in the sunbelt. They offer walkable, organically grown downtowns with history and charm.

I sense your impulse to live an urban life, but seek some assurance it will be right for your family. That makes sense. Nothing will beat the three of you actually spending time here to “try it on.” Best of luck with your decision. We found the Philadelphians on this site very helpful as we went through the same process you’re starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia