Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM

32 posts, read 121,406 times

Advertisements

Hello. I would like any input on the following. I may be starting a new position at Villanova University and my wife is working in West Chester. We strongly consider moving to West Chester and I would commute by car to Villanova, taking PA 3 (West Chester Pike) and PA 320 (Sproul Rd) to Villanova.

Does anyone know what that commute is like? Is it hellish or can it be ok? We also consider Malvern, Paoli, Exton, or Newtown Square. The first three would be nice for me for the train to Villanova, but my wife would have to commute to West Chester. Is that annoying? Also, does anyone use the Paoli Pike to go into West Chester?

Also, I think we would like West Chester because of the amenities...the other towns seemed a little dead and boring. Is that a correct assessment?

However, I think commuting is the biggest hurdle for us. If anyone had any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by Nouvelle Villa; 04-14-2008 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Rt 3 to 320 is not bad at all. The only trouble spot is RT 3 going through Newtown Square which can get backed up on occassion. Paoli Pike is by far the better of the two routes imo. Once you get to know the roads you will find the less traveled roads- Goshen Rd-White Horse Rd-St.Davids Rd etc..

Another option if you chose to live in West Chester would be to drive from WC to Exton or Whitford(5 miles) and take the R-5 to Villanova.

IMO the West Chester to Villanova commute isnt that bad, its a sunday drive compared to most nightmarish commutes. No I-95. No Blue Route. No 202. No Schuylkill Exp.. No 422. If you like West Chester then the commute to V shouldnt be a deterrent imo.

Malvern,Paoli,Newtown Square seem to be family areas so if you are looking for new exciting amenities you might want to avoid these towns. Exton is upandcoming area and might be an option as its only a 5 mile drive to WC and you can take the R-5 to Villanova.

Good luck whatever you do.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Yes, route 3 from 320 to West Chester is largely dead and boring. However, the Main Line is not, and neither is West Chester.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
I would think the 320 part of the trip would be hard...the few times I've driven that way has been traffic out the wazoo. I would look a little further north as once your wife hits 202 South, its not a bad commute into West Chester...Phoenixville is an up and coming area, but Exton, Wayne, Paoli, Berwyn are all good choices as well...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 68,720 times
You are right about West Chester having the charm - the shopping, a great cultural activities and super restaurants. Ive not seen any of the other places you mentioned have such a vibrant downtown. Having said that, your commute to Villanova everyday may take you more than 40mins everyday. Malvern, Paoli, Exton are good drives from West Chester, and should not take your wife more than 20minute to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia