Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times

Advertisements

The big prestigious Philly law firms recruit from the top 10 law schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Cal Berkeley, University of Chicago, etc.). If you're not a graduate of one of those schools, you could probably get a job as a glorified paralegal at a "personal injury" type law firm.

With the closing of Hahnemann Hospital, there will be a lot of nurses vying for openings at other hospitals.

Job prospects might not be the best in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The big prestigious Philly law firms recruit from the top 10 law schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Cal Berkeley, University of Chicago, etc.). If you're not a graduate of one of those schools, you could probably get a job as a glorified paralegal at a "personal injury" type law firm.

With the closing of Hahnemann Hospital, there will be a lot of nurses vying for openings at other hospitals.

Job prospects might not be the best in Philly.
Given the aging population in the country lots of lawyers should seriously look into specializing in elder law.
There's a shortage of those kinds of practices in the Phila. area.

Main Line Health is expanding so, yes, some of those Hahnemann nurses may end up there. One of my cousins went to LaSalle for nursing and already had a job with Einstein before he graduated. But, he already had a degree in psych beforehand so that may have helped him get snapped up.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

Sorry, but that's an utterly ridiculous statement to make. I work in an in-house legal department and lots of the attorneys here came from firms in the city and guess what, they didn't go to any of the schools you've mentioned. Just a few of the "big, prestigious" law firms in Philly that are not personal injury/medical mal: Blank Rome, Pepper Hamilton, Stradley Ronan, Morgan Lewis, Dechert. And the list goes on.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Sorry, but that's an utterly ridiculous statement to make. I work in an in-house legal department and lots of the attorneys here came from firms in the city and guess what, they didn't go to any of the schools you've mentioned. Just a few of the "big, prestigious" law firms in Philly that are not personal injury/medical mal: Blank Rome, Pepper Hamilton, Stradley Ronan, Morgan Lewis, Dechert. And the list goes on.
The fact that he/she didn't mention Penn, Temple, Villanova , Rutgers or Widener law schools seemed weird too.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 AM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

Generally speaking to get into one of the large firms you need to either come from one of the top schools (Yale, Stanford, Harvard, UPenn, Cal, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Virginia, Duke) or you need to be in the top ~10-15% of your class. There are some exceptions, especially if you have IP credentials, but that is the general rule. Most associates will get hired through the summer associate hiring process. Lateral hiring will typically be between big firms. The point is that hiring at these firms is extremely competitive and the vast majority of lawyers will not qualify for these jobs.

I don't think he was saying the big firms in Philly are personal injury firms; he is saying that her only job options will be a glorified "paralegal" at a personal injury firm. I agree that this is incorrect. Most jobs will be at small/medium sized insurance defense firms. If she has defense experience then finding a job wont be too difficult. Of course these firms pay significantly less than the big firms. If she has decent experience then jobs are available.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulbluelove View Post
By familiar with Philly do you mean living there or visiting often? I've been many times and know my way around. Aren't some sections of South Philly not as nice too?

Manayunk seems nice, I've been there too. For Port Richmond I haven't been but I'll have to stay in an AirBnB there/the area(s) to get a feel for it; I'll add them to my list.
By familiar I mean living there. Knowing what sections are acceptably safe and what sections are not. Visiting here, regardless of how many times, will not give you that perspective IMO.

There is no section of South Philly that is anywhere as close to as bad as most of Kensington. Point Breeze is gentrifying (and may be close to out of your price range). Grays Ferry can also be rough. I wouldn't recommend either neighborhood for a newby either.

Most of the South Philly is nice and relatively safe for a City neighborhood. The area near Oregon ave should have stuff in your price range but you wont be too far from the action on East Passyunk and close to the subway to go into center city.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The fact that he/she didn't mention Penn, Temple, Villanova , Rutgers or Widener law schools seemed weird too.

Most Temple/Villanova/Drexel/Rutgers/Wideners students are not competitive for big firm jobs.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Most Temple/Villanova/Drexel/Rutgers/Wideners students are not competitive for big firm jobs.
You seem to have some insight. So what's the point of lower tier law schools? Well, I do realize this would be OT for this thread.

I actually know a Rutgers law grad who became a special agent in the FBI.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You seem to have some insight. So what's the point of lower tier law schools? Well, I do realize this would be OT for this thread.

I actually know a Rutgers law grad who became a special agent in the FBI.

Well many people believe that law schools have been misleading people about employment prospects for years. Many people go with the belief that it will lead to a $100k+ job right out of school but that is just not the case for most. This is a big part of why some of the very low ranked schools have been sued recently. Some have even lost accreditation recently. Many also want to do public interest work but incorrectly assume that it is easy to get these jobs (they are as competitive as biglaw jobs). They are also often based on fellowships/grants so they could only lead to employment for one or two years and then you are left looking again.

That said, I am not as doom and gloom as many. If you actually want to be a litigator there are jobs out there and room to grow once you are in.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, most of the lawyers work at small law firms or on their own. I use a lawyer that has a storefront office. They scrape by with small assignments (like house closings or collecting past due debts for small businesses) hoping for a big estate to administer or a nasty divorce of a well off couple or a juicy accident or medical malpractice case although most lawyers can't finance a big injury case.

I'm assuming that the female lawyer from "near Altoona" is in that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia