Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times

Advertisements

If you are a Baby Boomer, like me, you remember Gene London of WCAU (Channel 10)'s "Cartoon Corners General Store" in the early 1960's. Sadly, he has passed away at 88. In Reading...which was a surprise. Last I heard he had been living in New York.

Trying to post a link or picture, but unfortunately my antiquated computer won't let me. He's the last of our kid show "heroes"...Sally Starr, Chief Halftowne, Pixanne, and Captain Noah have also passed.

Anyone else have fond memories of Gene London? His show lasted through the early 70's, and he was a weekday and Saturday morning fixture for those of us kids who only had four (sometimes five when the weather was good and we could get Lancaster) on our black and white sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 AM

962 posts, read 468,849 times
I remember him because it was the only TV show I ever saw until I was 5 or 6. We didn't have a set, but when Gene was on, my mother would send me next door to watch him with the neighbor kids so she could get some alone time.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:42 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,347,989 times
ADORED HIM! Here's some of the post Cartoon Corners things he did
https://www.mcall.com/entertainment/...5BHmAu08eNi8vM

Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If you are a Baby Boomer, like me, you remember Gene London of WCAU (Channel 10)'s "Cartoon Corners General Store" in the early 1960's. Sadly, he has passed away at 88. In Reading...which was a surprise. Last I heard he had been living in New York.

Trying to post a link or picture, but unfortunately my antiquated computer won't let me. He's the last of our kid show "heroes"...Sally Starr, Chief Halftowne, Pixanne, and Captain Noah have also passed.

Anyone else have fond memories of Gene London? His show lasted through the early 70's, and he was a weekday and Saturday morning fixture for those of us kids who only had four (sometimes five when the weather was good and we could get Lancaster) on our black and white sets.
Gene London was absolutely our Mr Rodgers. My favorites though were Sally Star and Chief Halftown. I never watched Pixanne.

He was friends with the Boscovs hence the Reading connection.

His death was caused by an accident from what I read. He fell and hit his head.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:

Didn't know you were from Philly, Skeff! He was one of my first childhood TV memories in the early 1960's growing up in Philly and the Philly burbs. Watched all of the local kids shows you mentioned. A much different and innocent time. I remember him drawing and of course we were all scared of Quigley Mansion.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Didn't know you were from Philly, Skeff! He was one of my first childhood TV memories in the early 1960's growing up in Philly and the Philly burbs. Watched all of the local kids shows you mentioned. A much different and innocent time. I remember him drawing and of course we were all scared of Quigley Mansion.
Remember when he lost his house and had to move into Mr. Dibbley's basement? He bought a big fancy house with gold he found in a mine on "Superstition Mountain". No way he could have afforded it on the salary he earned from "Dibble-puss" (his boss at the General Store), who paid him 3 1/2 cents a week. The house had "big front gates like the rich folks have". Then he lost it (I forget how) and had to live secretly in the Dibbleys basement . Old Dibble-puss was a jerk, but his wife (Mrs. Dibbley) was nice, and they were good friends. She used to complain to Gene that Mr. Dibbley, at breakfast, hollered, "I want my MAY-po!!!" Gene was in love with the Dibbley's beautiful daughter, Debbie Dibbley. She moved to Hollywood to be a movie star, breaking his heart. Then there was the "rich lady", Mrs. Throckmorton III.

They did a takeoff of a "Christmas Carol", where Dibble-puss was Scrooge. He had a vision of his stinginess causing Gene to die of pneumonia. Gene's ghost came to haunt him, a la Marley. Dibble-puss relented his ways, and invited Gene to Christmas dinner (where he gave him the neck of the turkey).

He somehow had possession of a "Golden Fleece" that granted wishes. And there was a "confetti factory" next door to the General Store that was always dumping boxes of confetti on him. We howled with laughter at that!

I'm surprised I remember so many of the plots of this show. Of course, in those days (pre Internet, You Tube, smart phones, and cable TV), there wasn't much else to get us kids excited (except Sally Starr, of course). They really got some complicated story lines into a one hour kiddy show, but it was like a soap opera...we couldn't wait until the next day to see what happened. All this was integrated with the drawings, songs, and stories. I loved his "witch" laugh.

RIP, Gene. I love ya.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-25-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 10:47 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Remember when he lost his house and had to move into Mr. Dibbley's basement? He bought a big fancy house with gold he found in a mine on "Superstition Mountain". No way he could have afforded it on the salary he earned from "Dibble-puss" (his boss at the General Store), who paid him 3 1/2 cents a week. The house had "big front gates like the rich folks have". Then he lost it (I forget how) and had to live secretly in the Dibbleys basement . Old Dibble-puss was a jerk, but his wife (Mrs. Dibbley) was nice, and they were good friends. She used to complain to Gene that Mr. Dibbley, at breakfast, hollered, "I want my MAY-po!!!" Gene was in love with the Dibbley's beautiful daughter, Debbie Dibbley. She moved to Hollywood to be a movie star, breaking his heart. Then there was the "rich lady", Mrs. Throckmorton III.

They did a takeoff of a "Christmas Carol", where Dibble-puss was Scrooge. He had a vision of his stinginess causing Gene to die of pneumonia. Gene's ghost came to haunt him, a la Marley. Dibble-puss relented his ways, and invited Gene to Christmas dinner (where he gave him the neck of the turkey).

He somehow had possession of a "Golden Fleece" that granted wishes. And there was a "confetti factory" next door to the General Store that was always dumping boxes of confetti on him. We howled with laughter at that!

I'm surprised I remember so many of the plots of this show. Of course, in those days (pre Internet, You Tube, smart phones, and cable TV), there wasn't much else to get us kids excited (except Sally Starr, of course). They really got some complicated story lines into a one hour kiddy show, but it was like a soap opera...we couldn't wait until the next day to see what happened. All this was integrated with the drawings, songs, and stories. I loved his "witch" laugh.

RIP, Gene. I love ya.

Stop! You're making me too nostalgic. I have to maintain my hard *ss, uncaring, conservative image!

Old 01-25-2020, 01:46 PM

319 posts, read 145,334 times
Quote:
Stop! You're making me too nostalgic. I have to maintain my hard *ss, uncaring, conservative image!
I remember watching him as a real little kid.

Nobody cares that he was gay.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:

In your neighborhood, when you and your friends were outside playing, did someone's mother ALWAYS come out and yell, "It's FOUR O'CLOCK!!!!" That meant it was time to run inside to watch "Popeye Theater" with Sally Starr. Wearing your cowboy hat and six gun holster, of course (even us girls). Remember taking the "promise" (pledge) you wouldn't act like the Three Stooges? We didn't eye gouge, but we did often imitate them chewing at the dinner table. (Jaw stuck and fists pounding the head).

I grew up in a small town near Reading, PA. Sally Starr, Pixanne, Gene London, etc. made regular visits to Pomeroys, Whitners and other local department stores where we got to see them in person.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:

I never watched Pixanne for some reason. But I did watch Captain Noah till the very end( the 90s!). It was wholesome and charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia