Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 PM

54 posts, read 119,599 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am going to be moving to the Philly area soon and found a possible ideal room for rent arrangement in East Mount Airy that, according to the map, is in the area of East Pleasant St, East Slocum St, East Meehan Ave, and Musgrave St. These are all streets in the area. Haven’t actually been out there yet- going out in a few days to look at it. Is this a safe area? I know East Mount Airy is supposed to be less safe, but I am from MD and don’t know much about Philly. It’s likely I will be coming home late some nights as I am a waitress. I am trying to do research but anyone’s opinion would be valuable. Thank you for any thoughts -

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-19-2019 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 AM

121 posts, read 97,712 times
That area is generally considered to be the rougher part of E Mount Airy but really isn't that bad at least in my experience. However I feel like Marketstel would be able to give a more educated response.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
That’s the area by Pleasant Playground, yeah? I was just there a few weeks ago and my honest thought was how nice it seems. It’s not as affluent as West Mt Airy, but it is still nice. MarketStEl will surely have more details.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:50 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
That particular neighborhood is about 15 blocks west of where any large amount of crime happens. I just checked a chart and only 2 people were shot in that area the whole year.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
It's an area seeing a lot of investment along the avenue, a block or two away, and flippers have had a field day because the housing stock is more modest in E. Mt. Airy. Two new apartment buildings have opened in the last couple of years and there is an Aldi's now under construction. More places have trickled down Germantown Ave from the Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy commercial corridor, like the new Breakfast Boutique and Malelani Cafe. In that little section, you have a mix of longtime residents and new people.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
I think East Mt. Airy is every bit as great as West Mt. Airy with the exception of "dogtown" which is the area between Germantown Ave and Chew and between Gorgas and Upsal. This is the area you are looking at. I lived there for ~3 years. I love Mt. Airy but hated living there. I can't say that I ever felt unsafe there were just some quality of life issues with my disgusting neighbors. If you choose to live there I would first do you best to get a sense of who your next door neighbors will be. If they seem relatively normal you should be fine. The main problems are young kids riding bikes and causing problems and some drug dealing occurring at the apartment complex at Slocum and Musgrave and foot traffic related to that.

You don't want to live next to people like my former neighbors. They lived in a 3 bedroom row house but had a rotating cast of 12-15 people living in there at any given time. There would be at least 5 of they hanging out on their front porch at all times drunk and smoking weed. The sounds of screaming could be heard through the walls 24/7. They wouldn't put their trash in trash bags they would throw trash out their windows into their backyard. Often that trash would land in my yard. I would constantly find soiled underwear, used diapers, needles, expired pills, used paper plates, cigarettes etc. Just make sure you do your due diligence on your potential neighbors.

That said, the house was such a good deal I probably would have never moved if I had semi-normal next door neighbors. These were easily the worst people on the block if not the worst in all of dogtown. I loved walking to Maleani and would have loved it if the breakfast boutique was open when I lived there. There is a breakfast and lunch diner on Germantown and phil ellena that I would walk to and sit at the counter. There is also a charming coffeshop/baker just below Phil Elenna in an old one room schoolhouse building. Its also pretty easy to walk to the Mt. Airy's main commercial corridor.

Feel free to message me directly if you want to share with me specifically where you would be living.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:13 AM

12 posts, read 8,850 times
I don’t think it be wise to live there and particularly coming home late at night.its the kind of place you to be very aware of your surroundings.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 PM

54 posts, read 119,599 times
Hi guys - thanks so much for your answers. It’s really helpful. I ended up not choosing that area for reasons you guys stated. Thanks again - I’ll be searching for a good restaurant to work in now.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:53 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's an area seeing a lot of investment along the avenue, a block or two away, and flippers have had a field day because the housing stock is more modest in E. Mt. Airy. Two new apartment buildings have opened in the last couple of years and there is an Aldi's now under construction. More places have trickled down Germantown Ave from the Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy commercial corridor, like the new Breakfast Boutique and Malelani Cafe. In that little section, you have a mix of longtime residents and new people.
I didn't know the building with the Aldi on the street floor had already made it past the ZBA. I don't recall seeing any dirt excavated on its lot when I last passed that way early last week. I know the neighbors were all up in arms about it - because parking, and deliveries, and traffic, and design (the green wall won no points). It is a departure for Aldi in that it's their first Philadelphia-area store that's not a freestanding island in a parking lot but rather incorporated into a mixed-use building with the parking beneath it. Kudos to Aldi for that.

Sorry to hear about your experience in Dogtown, KansastoSouthPhilly, but I understand. I would, however, note that while that part of East Mt. Airy looks a little bedraggled, it's not unsafe. I'd second your "vet your neighbors thoroughly" recommendation, however.

I'd heard that Deirdre's Breakfast Boutique had opened in Mt. Airy but didn't know where it was. Malelani has been around for quite some time. I've been to Deirdre's Fern Rock location and was suitably impressed - so much so that when the Keystone Property Group building management at The Curtis said they were looking for a "breakfast and coffee" place to fill what up until the beginning of this month had been Cooperage, I recommended they give Deirdre's a call. I understand that a table at the Chestnut Hill location is a hot ticket. (The time I tried going up there, it was closed for vacation.)

Old 08-18-2019, 08:54 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Hi guys - thanks so much for your answers. It’s really helpful. I ended up not choosing that area for reasons you guys stated. Thanks again - I’ll be searching for a good restaurant to work in now.
And where are you looking to live now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: