Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

Basically, all of the Northeast has a reputation of fairly quick-witted, brutally honest, indifferent, rude, etc. Sarcastic at times, as well? Although I'm not as sure about that last one.

I felt like from Philly to NY, with New Jersey being kind of an epicenter for exactly that type of reputation. However, would you agree?

If we're talking about attitude, or quick-witted or brutally honesty or rude or fast or quick or types of humor or whatever else. How would you say it feels different between Philadelphia and Boston or New York? Or, same thing? Does it vary from urban Philadelphia to suburban Philadelphia? Does it dwindle down quickly as you get southward into Delaware/Maryland/DC?

Ah...I'll open up this thread, and just curious where the conversation goes from there. Observational-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,659,526 times
Attitudes vary from person to person, sometimes from situation to situation. Trying to paint an entire region with a particular attitude is nothing but a silly and immature stereotype.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 AM

10,577 posts, read 11,986,908 times
Quote:
Attitudes vary from person to person, sometimes from situation to situation. Trying to paint an entire region with a particular attitude is nothing but a silly and immature stereotype.
I'd agree. I would say there can be a tendency in higher density population areas (big cities, obviously) and places where there's 'faster pace of life' -- that people may not have the time to be as patient elsewhere.

For example, if I'm commuting in NY, or half a half-hour for lunch in Boston -- I may not have TIME to stop and take a few minutes to give a tourist directions, or listen to someone handing out a flier somewhere, or let everybody and their mother cross the street in front of me. Of course that doesn't make a person RUDE. It's HOW you say you don't have time that makes the person rude, brutally honest, or indifferent.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,720,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Basically, all of the Northeast has a reputation of fairly quick-witted, brutally honest, indifferent, rude, etc. Sarcastic at times, as well? Although I'm not as sure about that last one.
I felt like from Philly to NY, with New Jersey being kind of an epicenter for exactly that type of reputation. However, would you agree?
If we're talking about attitude, or quick-witted or brutally honesty or rude or fast or quick or types of humor or whatever else. How would you say it feels different between Philadelphia and Boston or New York? Or, same thing? Does it vary from urban Philadelphia to suburban Philadelphia? Does it dwindle down quickly as you get southward into Delaware/Maryland/DC?
Ah...I'll open up this thread, and just curious where the conversation goes from there. Observational-wise.
the rude perception is largely an outsiders perception imo, it's largely borne of "these people are different."it's true that people are often honest in the sense that you are more likely to know where you stand than other regions. sarcasm is abundant, and friendly insults are a sign of affection, not rudeness. when we lived in the south people would take them very seriously, consider them rude. OTOH, they had no problem being overly nice in person and trashing people the minute they turned their back (which might be called brutally dishonest). I'm sure population density has something to do with it, you can't stop and talk to everyone when there are so many people.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,099,230 times
Native-born-and-raised Philadelphians can be rather outwardly brusque. This includes those from the inner suburbs. As you go toward the middle suburbs it gets less noticeable, but still present. The outer burbs are all "mom and apple pie".

Being brusque does NOT equate to rudeness, per se, or being a less-than-good human being. It's just a local cultural thing.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 PM

8,968 posts, read 21,048,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Native-born-and-raised Philadelphians can be rather outwardly brusque. This includes those from the inner suburbs. As you go toward the middle suburbs it gets less noticeable, but still present. The outer burbs are all "mom and apple pie".

Being brusque does NOT equate to rudeness, per se, or being a less-than-good human being. It's just a local cultural thing.
Basically this. ^ I feel that NYC and Philly share a similar "attytood" although I suppose that exists to some degree in all major cities in the Bos-Wash corridor. From my experience in DC, people's brusqueness comes from having stressful government(-related) jobs and/or having to deal with a long suburban commute. Northern Delaware's probably a little more relaxed; even more so down in Kent and Sussex Counties. Baltimore is more chilled out too (by Northeast standards) except maybe for the people on the long-haul commute down to DC.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,720,686 times
stressful government jobs haha

Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM

434 posts, read 1,306,684 times
In Boston you sometimes have to be intelligent to realize you're being made fun of by a native, or just to keep up with the conversation. The sarcasm is quick, witty, dry, and often subtle.

Nothing about Philadelphia is subtle. Insults hit you over the head like a 2x4 (perhaps since it's near-impossible to mistake four-letter-words for anything other than their intention) and often outward attitude communicates more than words.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
In Boston you sometimes have to be intelligent to realize you're being made fun of by a native, or just to keep up with the conversation. The sarcasm is quick, witty, dry, and often subtle.

Nothing about Philadelphia is subtle. Insults hit you over the head like a 2x4 (perhaps since it's near-impossible to mistake four-letter-words for anything other than their intention) and often outward attitude communicates more than words.
That's the good kind of stuff I was hoping to hear!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 410,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post

False. This is a terrible generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia