Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:37 AM

744 posts, read 769,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
This made me laugh especially folks posting about riff raff who want to clutch their pearls.

Were you around back in the day when there were streakers on South St?

I am the only one who mentioned that so you must be talking about me. I am not sure why you couldn't respond to me directly. I am not sure what I said that constitutes pear clutching. Have you been to South Street after midnight recently? Do you not think the vibe has changed over the past few years? Are frequent fights/violence not something that would prevent you from going out of your way to patronize an area when there are lots of other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM

1,210 posts, read 945,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I am the only one who mentioned that so you must be talking about me. I am not sure why you couldn't respond to me directly. I am not sure what I said that constitutes pear clutching. Have you been to South Street after midnight recently? Do you not think the vibe has changed over the past few years? Are frequent fights/violence not something that would prevent you from going out of your way to patronize an area when there are lots of other options?
Not to mention the vibe of South Street just plan sucks these days...

Old 10-04-2019, 10:16 AM

1,686 posts, read 954,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Not to mention the vibe of South Street just plan sucks these days...
It's true unfortunately.

And it's not a question of "pearl-clutchers" demanding these sanitary conditions for earning their patronage. Its a question of do you want to feel harassed or uncomfortable when you go to hang out somewhere?

If the answer to those questions are no, then South Street isn't for you at the moment.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:08 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,703,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Funnily you seem to think it was fight-free and lacked craziness years ago or, perhaps it's new. It's not.That was point I was trying to make. Streakers and hippies( not all were peace loving), 70s. Greek picnic insanity, 80s. Mardi Gras, 90s.

Look, I don't like bad behavior but there's history too. And South St has been the way it is off and on for decades.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,720,695 times
I may go down there tomorrow night to get some Pizza

Old 10-05-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's true unfortunately.

And it's not a question of "pearl-clutchers" demanding these sanitary conditions for earning their patronage. Its a question of do you want to feel harassed or uncomfortable when you go to hang out somewhere?

If the answer to those questions are no, then South Street isn't for you at the moment.
Some of it was indeed cool back in the day. You would have liked it. Back in the day when the TLA theater was the film repertory mecca in the city. Back when mid-night shows of The Rocky Horror Picture were really a thing and Koyaanisquati was shown almost continously. This was also when Old City was a blighted mess. It amazes me today that Old City has changed so much. It surprises me everytime I go there.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:07 AM

34,158 posts, read 18,436,513 times
Quote:
Funnily you seem to think it was fight-free and lacked craziness years ago or, perhaps it's new. It's not.That was point I was trying to make. Streakers and hippies( not all were peace loving), 70s. Greek picnic insanity, 80s. Mardi Gras, 90s.

Look, I don't like bad behavior but there's history too. And South St has been the way it is off and on for decades.
Yes, South Street has always been crazy or had the potential for a bad scene on weekend nights. However, it has become WORSE in the last twenty years or so. I avoid it, and that's not the type of entertainment I look for anymore anyway.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:13 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,720,695 times
Quote:
Some of it was indeed cool back in the day. You would have liked it. Back in the day when the TLA theater was the film repertory mecca in the city. Back when mid-night shows of The Rocky Horror Picture were really a thing and Koyaanisquati was shown almost continously. This was also when Old City was a blighted mess. It amazes me today that Old City has changed so much. It surprises me everytime I go there.
what was so bad about old city back then

Old 10-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, South Street has always been crazy or had the potential for a bad scene on weekend nights. However, it has become WORSE in the last twenty years or so. I avoid it, and that's not the type of entertainment I look for anymore anyway.
I think, you or me, are too old for it in any case.

In the 90s, except for the Mardi Gras crap, it was still okay as it segued into Queen Village. Now you can just skip it altogether and head for East Passyunk instead.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
what was so bad about old city back then
De-industrialization and small factories that were starting to close. When Whitman's Chocolates and Arthur H Thomas closed it was getting to be a low point. Pincus Brothers-Maxwell kept on for a long time...through portions of gentrification. And now where PBM was is a huge residential complex. Old City went from being an industrial area to a truly residential area in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia