U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-05-2019, 08:30 PM
 
852 posts, read 422,896 times
Reputation: 742

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am in the interview process for a job that would be located in the Independence Hall area in downtown Philadelphia. While I am from New Jersey, I am not familiar with Philadelphia and was hoping for some advice in the event I relocate to the area.

I am looking for rent that would ideally be below $1,200 (really ideally below $1,000 but I know that's tough in the area). The two things I care most about are safety and being in a quiet area and/or building. I am a professional in his 20s.

So far, I found an apartment that looks good that I like in Haddon Township, NJ but am unsure what other towns to look in in both NJ & PA and what neighborhoods in the city itsself to look into.

With that in mind, does anyone have suggestions as to areas in either the city itself or surrounding suburbs in Pennsylvania or New Jersey that fit my criteria?

Also, should I want to live near the train to commute downtown or is driving there doable during rush hour?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2019, 12:05 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,632 posts, read 27,956,073 times
Reputation: 9302
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Hi all!

I am in the interview process for a job that would be located in the Independence Hall area in downtown Philadelphia. While I am from New Jersey, I am not familiar with Philadelphia and was hoping for some advice in the event I relocate to the area.

I am looking for rent that would ideally be below $1,200 (really ideally below $1,000 but I know that's tough in the area). The two things I care most about are safety and being in a quiet area and/or building. I am a professional in his 20s.

So far, I found an apartment that looks good that I like in Haddon Township, NJ but am unsure what other towns to look in in both NJ & PA and what neighborhoods in the city itsself to look into.

With that in mind, does anyone have suggestions as to areas in either the city itself or surrounding suburbs in Pennsylvania or New Jersey that fit my criteria?

Also, should I want to live near the train to commute downtown or is driving there doable during rush hour?

Thanks!
Independence Hall is located in Center City. The PATCO line has a stop at 8th and Market.

The largest number of apartments in South Jersey are in Cherry Hill. Some apartments in Voorhees are fine, but some are not. Avoid Lindenwold. Check crime maps to verify individual sites. If you stay in South Jersey, the wage tax is deductible on your state taxes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 AM
 
852 posts, read 422,896 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Independence Hall is located in Center City. The PATCO line has a stop at 8th and Market.

The largest number of apartments in South Jersey are in Cherry Hill. Some apartments in Voorhees are fine, but some are not. Avoid Lindenwold. Check crime maps to verify individual sites. If you stay in South Jersey, the wage tax is deductible on your state taxes.
Thank you for the feedback, good information! The train does not go to Cherry Hill though, correct?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,095 posts, read 646,008 times
Reputation: 1159
The most important question is. Do you want to live in the city? There are many thriving neighborhoods in the city that meet your budget.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 AM
 
364 posts, read 136,051 times
Reputation: 573
^^^ I'd say considering the smaller budget and "safety" and "quite" being priorities, the City might not be the best option. I like the idea of commuting from NJ via PATCO for the first year, especially since the OP is "NJforLife".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,632 posts, read 27,956,073 times
Reputation: 9302
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Thank you for the feedback, good information! The train does not go to Cherry Hill though, correct?
Woodcrest station is in Cherry Hill. Ashland station straddles Cherry Hill and Voorhees. Both have large parking lots. Haddonfield has a small parking lot. Westmont has a bigger parking lot. There's a lot of bus service to Haddonfield, from Cherry Hill.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,632 posts, read 27,956,073 times
Reputation: 9302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ I'd say considering the smaller budget and "safety" and "quite" being priorities, the City might not be the best option. I like the idea of commuting from NJ via PATCO for the first year, especially since the OP is "NJforLife".
That was my thought. If the OP wants to move into the city after a year or so, the OP will know where to go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 01:38 PM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,633,543 times
Reputation: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The most important question is. Do you want to live in the city? There are many thriving neighborhoods in the city that meet your budget.
Really? Where are the many thriving neighborhoods that one can get a good apt for under a grand?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM
 
832 posts, read 710,002 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Really? Where are the many thriving neighborhoods that one can get a good apt for under a grand?
OP will have a hard time finding an apartment decent areas of South Jersey for under a grand, too. Most likely looking at living in a bad area, or a dumpy garden apartment that probably has pest issues.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM
 
852 posts, read 422,896 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The most important question is. Do you want to live in the city? There are many thriving neighborhoods in the city that meet your budget.
I am open to living in the city if it's a safe and quiet area, though I think the suburbs would be preferable. But I really am somewhat open minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ I'd say considering the smaller budget and "safety" and "quite" being priorities, the City might not be the best option. I like the idea of commuting from NJ via PATCO for the first year, especially since the OP is "NJforLife".
This username is a few years old haha.

Thank you for the feedback. I did notice PATCO goes into New Jersey. Would you recommend the New Jersey suburbs over Pennsylvania? I would rather be close to the train, but I guess I can't rule out driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Woodcrest station is in Cherry Hill. Ashland station straddles Cherry Hill and Voorhees. Both have large parking lots. Haddonfield has a small parking lot. Westmont has a bigger parking lot. There's a lot of bus service to Haddonfield, from Cherry Hill.
Thank you for the feedback, this is quite helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Really? Where are the many thriving neighborhoods that one can get a good apt for under a grand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
OP will have a hard time finding an apartment decent areas of South Jersey for under a grand, too. Most likely looking at living in a bad area, or a dumpy garden apartment that probably has pest issues.
What is a more realistic budget, or where should I look to get better value?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top