U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 12:56 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I'm personally a subscriber to logic and pragmatism over "appropriate punishment." This might not be the fairest approach to sentencing, but in my opinion it makes the most sense for society. If a crime seems like an aberration, an extremely poor decision on the part of an otherwise upstanding and contributing member of society, I prefer not to multiply that mistake by putting said individual in the system for 10 or 15 years. This almost guarantees that a broken, jaded, angry individual with limited ability to procure gainful employment will re-enter our society - often with new criminal skill sets and connections from his/her time on the inside.

However, this case is a bit concerning to me as this kid seems to have serious anger issues, actively looking for confrontations, and quick to introduce (and deploy) a deadly weapon. Hopefully this life-altering event changes his ways, but I certainly don't want some hot head rolling around my city ready to throw-down to the death with strangers.
Didn't someone upthread suggest that Krasner downgraded the charges because the odds of convicting White on the lesser charge would be higher?

If so, then the decision strikes me as defensible - from all angles I can tell, White was guilty of taking Schellenger's life, and not in self-defense, so he should do time for something. But whether what he did qualifies as murder strikes me as leaving just enough room for doubt for a jury to acquit. I think the doubt disappears with voluntary manslaughter one.

FTR, I knew Schellenger. He was a fundamentally decent guy who sought to do the right thing and was willing to be supportive when he knew people had problems. I know people can get crazy when they're drunk, so I can't rule out his saying something that set White off, but I suspect that whatever it was, he didn't deserve to pay for it with his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM

364 posts, read 136,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I know people can get crazy when they're drunk, so I can't rule out his saying something that set White off, but I suspect that whatever it was, he didn't deserve to pay for it with his life.

I'm sure since White seemed to be set off before anything was even said to him since he decided to involve himself in something that didn't concern him. I understand the defense argument but couldn't the same argument be made that Schellenger was in fact defending himself form a guy who pulled a knife?

I still think this whole thing is really weird. I can grasp everyone's motivation in this incident (not saying they were good motivations) but White. Did White see himself as some vigilante/quasi-super hero type? Two people arguing in traffic and White decides to come to the aide of one of them, willing to use deadly force to defend their honor. Just weird.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM

4,816 posts, read 3,744,872 times
Verdict in: Not Guilty.

Although the jury did find White guilty of evidence tampering, but not guilty otherwise on voluntary manslaughter.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 PM

3,019 posts, read 1,516,257 times
Not guilty.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:45 PM

4,686 posts, read 2,894,110 times
I hope one day they release the video.
I’m a little confused on how White was found not guilty of possessing a weapon considering it’s illegal to carry knives around.
I will never believe he wasn’t guilty. When you stab someone in the back hard enough to break a rib, that’s not self defense. When you approach random strangers who are fighting looking to join in, you aren’t a victim. Even if someone body slammed you, you don’t stab them in the back in “self defense”.
Maybe the video shows a different scene than the one that’s been laid out.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-17-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 01:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 754,539 times
I've not been following the case but I'm suprised he wasn't found guilty of manslaughter. I guess there's much more than the "facts" being spouted on this thread.

Does anyone have a link of the evidence that was PRESENTED in court?

Old 10-17-2019, 02:03 PM

4,243 posts, read 2,151,762 times
sad. should have been third degree murder.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 754,539 times
How would charging him with 3rd degree murder have changed the verdict if he couldn't be convicted for manslaughter?

Quote:
According to testimony, White saw Schellenger confronting another driver and told him he didn't need to be a "tough guy." Schellenger then walked toward him and allegedly uttered the racial insult, and White then pulled a knife. When Schellenger charged and wrapped his arms around him, White plunged the knife into Schellenger's back.
Jury finds Michael White not guilty in stabbing death of Sean Schellenger near Rittenhouse Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
sad. should have been third degree murder.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:06 PM

4,816 posts, read 3,744,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I've not been following the case but I'm suprised he wasn't found guilty of manslaughter. I guess there's much more than the "facts" being spouted on this thread.

Does anyone have a link of the evidence that was PRESENTED in court?
Well, the basic facts aren't in dispute here.

According to White's defense, White came to the aid of the motorist having an argument with Schellenger about blocking traffic to defuse the situation. Finally the reason why White got involved; this one was key for me. So White involved himself in this to defuse the situation.

Words exchanged; at some point White said Schellenger said ''I'm gonna beat the black off you'' through gritted teeth; White stated the driver of the vehicle used racial epithat/s; no witnesses corroborated these statements;

White pulls out his knife; Schellenger tried to take White down; White killed Schellenger with a single full hilt stab with knife;

White flees on foot with knife; Schellenger is dying on the sidewalk; dead at hospital.

Toxicology showed Schellenger with alcohol level of .199 (just about twice the legal limit) and traces of cocaine in his eyeball/s; looks like coke remnants will stay in your eyeball/s for some time post-use.

Jury left to decide meaning of 'cut' in White's social media statement of ''I'm going to cut the next person that messes with me'' posted shortly before the incident with Schellenger.

Male that had a physical fight with Schellenger in 2008 testified to Schellenger's aggressiveness.

Jury finds White not guilty of involuntary manslaughter as White acted in self-defense. That's that. White's not even guilty of carrying a concealed knife.

Read the trial news articles or go and read the court transcript otherwise.

At least White can now move on to become an international rap-hip hop star. Drunk, racist, and coked-up Schellenger finally learned the bad lesson he had coming to him.

Last edited by Kamms; 10-17-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:14 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,421,545 times
Dumb question......Is there Stand Your Ground in Pennsylvania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or