Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 PM

66 posts, read 46,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
The manner in which you started that post was anything but civil. It screams of arrogance and makes you sound like a know-it-all and dismissive of others posts. You won't win over many people on here communicating like that. Keep in mind that this is the internet, so the way one interprets a "tone" of a post is not as obvious on here as it would be face to face.
I do not even remotely care how I come off to people who think they're better than others based on delusions about where they grew up. The posts I respond to are what are arrogant, and it's not at all surprising you think I'm the arrogant one. Your classism comes though loud and clear in your posts. If by "sound like a know-it-all" you mean like somebody who actually knows the communities I talk about then I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1. I keep hearing comments to the effect that the Upper Darby School District is bad. It's not. It doesn't have the elevated reputation or status of other Delco districts like Radnor, Haverford Township, Rose Tree Media or Wallingford-Swarthmore, but it actually does a pretty good job of educating children, and its one high school is, if not the most ethnically diverse, one of the most ethnically diverse in the Philly 'burbs.

2. Lansdowne Borough has a largely middle-class population, and next-door Yeadon Borough does as well. The remainder of the communities in the William Penn School District (Darby Borough, Colwyn Borough, Darby Township) do not. The problems with that district are those of poverty, which many whites confuse for those of race.

3. Lansdowne Borough has had loads of charm and potential for some time now. I don't know whether the group seeking to restore the Lansdowne Theater for use as a performing arts center has reached its fundraising goal, but I do know it has pursued its goal with energy and vigor. I do suspect the school district's reputation holds the community back from turning into another Media (if BYOBs are allowed, the town's dry status doesn't - look at Collingswood and Haddonfield in New Jersey, both dry boroughs as well). But I also know that middle-class families without children do settle in the borough because of its very attractive housing stock.
This is an excellent post.

I used to share the same ignorance about communities like Yeadon as many posters here until I actually got to know them and people who grew up in them. This is obviously something many posting about these places are too biased or scared to do, and it shows in their posts. People would think everywhere outside of the most suburban of communities were a scene from Dangerous Minds if they went by those posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia