U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which formerly forlorn sections of the city will see the most transformative changes in the 2020s?
Lower North Philly 10 29.41%
Central North Philly 1 2.94%
Upper North Philly 1 2.94%
West Philly--South of Market 7 20.59%
West Philly--North of Market 3 8.82%
Southwest Philly 2 5.88%
Kensington 9 26.47%
Frankford 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 AM

1,100 posts, read 770,780 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia has experienced a tremendous level of change in the 2010s: entire neighborhoods have been rebuilt, record-breaking tallest towers have popped up in multiple sections of the city (FMC Tower-West, CHOP Tower-South, Comcast Technology Center-Center City, The Nest-North), we have experienced sustained levels of population and job growth, and control of the School District of Philadelphia has been returned to the city, among countless other things. This decade has proven to be pivotal for Philly, and I'm inclined to believe that things will only continue to get better in the 2020s.

With this said, which formerly forlorn sections of the city will experience the greatest transformation in the 2020s? I have included seven areas of interest in my poll:

-Lower North Philly (Girard to Lehigh, Front to the Schuylkill River)
-Central North Philly (Lehigh to the Roosevelt Expressway, Tacony Creek/Front to the Schuylkill River*)
-Upper North Philly (Roosevelt Expressway to Cheltenham Avenue, Tacony Creek to Wister Street/Stenton Avenue/Walnut Lane)
-West Philly--South of Market (52nd to Cobbs Creek, Baltimore to Market)
-West Philly--North of Market (40th to 63rd/Lansdowne/59th, Market to Lancaster)
-Southwest Philly (below the Media/Elwyn Line tracks)
-Kensington
-Frankford

My top pick is Lower North Philly. Not only will the Lower North experience a continued residential boom, but it will also be the recipient of new white collar jobs, assuming the North Station District (technically in Central North Philly) gets off the ground. People are also moving further into the Lower North. Two weeks ago, I saw new buildings rising on the 1700 block of N. 25th Street (just north of Cecil B. Moore Ave), along the 2600 and 2700 blocks of Cecil B. Moore, just off of Ridge and Glenwood, at 5th and York, and many more. Finally, as Temple continues to improve its reputation and becomes more of a research powerhouse, North Broad will emerge as a more prominent research corridor.

West Philly, South of Market is my next pick. Penn recently expanded its faculty homeownership financing assistance program as far west as 56th Street, so I can see this area experiencing a lot of change in the coming years. If Penn takes over another school (ex. Lea on 47th and Locust), then this will essentially be a done deal. Over the years, 52nd Street has become less and less of a boundary between the "good" and "bad" parts of West Philly. As my girl and I were driving, we noticed a new construction on the 5500 block of Spruce Street a few days ago. Cobbs Creek is starting to emerge as a hot neighborhood, based on all of the new construction I've been noticing west of 52nd Street! A strong, rejuvenated Market Street would help all of West Philly, but especially the south-of-Market neighborhoods.

Last edited by PhilliesPhan2013; 10-23-2019 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 14,342 times
I agree, West Philly and Lower North Philly(especially lower north philly) have a lot of room for improvement and strong bones. I recently moved back to Cobbs Creek and i am very bullish on its future. They have excellent locations and West Philly has great housing stock throughout (Imo the best overall housing stock) and I'm also bullish on the Kingsessing neighborhood in Southwest where I am from. Obviously Kensington has a ton of room for improvement also.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:00 AM

583 posts, read 275,668 times
I think Greys Ferry will be the hottest gentrifying neighborhood for the next 5 years.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:01 AM

42 posts, read 9,745 times
those are some pretty massive areas, but I generally agree with your 1-2 pick. Your "Lower North Philly" has the upper hand largely due to Temple and the north station district plan. There are already plenty of neighborhoods seeing a lot of change in that area.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 AM

354 posts, read 142,449 times
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I say Penns Landing. *If* the capping project is actually completed, it could create some of the most lucrative real estate in the city.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 AM

45 posts, read 14,342 times
Also the Schuylkill Yards project can really change West Philly even more, essentially it is investing into West Philly's very own downtown. I anticipate further development along Lancaster avenue and also Market street.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM

364 posts, read 135,844 times
I'd say Kensington and Lower North. Definitely not Frankford or SW Philadelphia though.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:06 PM

5,919 posts, read 5,333,309 times
Its a shame the suburban style housing projects in Poplar will be a pimple separating other booming neighborhoods. That would eventually be a seamless transition from Fairmount all the way to Northern Liberties.

But my biggest bet would be the Fishtown explosion continuing North.

Point Breeze and Grays Ferry are possible, but they need denser mixed use development in order for those neighborhoods to completely take off, townhomes will only take those areas so far.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:16 PM

557 posts, read 404,289 times
Would you consider the Whitman section of South Philly to be previously forlorn? It wasn't too long ago that 4th through basically 9th/10th and Washington to beyond Snyder was pretty messy. If not, I agree that northern Fishtown/Port Richmond will continue to improve faster than the other neighborhoods you mentioned. However, I also think Point Breeze is really close to tipping. If Ori or another developer can get some decent retail and/or entertainment venues on Point Breeze Ave, it could turn the tide overnight. A lot of the residential is already in place (bought and occupied at a pretty price - meaning most owners are probably in it for the long haul) and Washington west of Broad seems like it's finally coming into it's own.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 719,216 times
I don't really see a reason why Southwest Philly will change much. It's largely a run-down dump with no real attractive attributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or