U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,802,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Dave, you keep bringing up Union Station in DC. I don't know why. It's the changeover from the Northeast rail corridor to the Southeast rail corridor. In the relatively near future, Obama's faster diesel rail service will start running between DC and Charlotte. Much further down the line the faster service will extend from Charlotte to Atlanta. This will result in more people from Virginia and North Carolina arriving in Philadelphia by train.
This was the post that had this DC Union station should look more like Paris and basically the city. But why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Every time I go to DC, this is what I think: Why doesn't it impress me the way Paris and London do? Why doesn't Union Station look as amazing as Gare du Nord in Paris or King's Cross in London for instance? I am perfectly aware of how old Paris and London are. But DC has never been bombed or had a physical catastrophe like London was via war.

The powerful country in history should have a way more impressive and distinctive capital.
Just seemed DC is held at some other standard. I just kept saying ..... what about Philly? Just did not get this DC lessening as a agenda or jealousy.....

Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM

366 posts, read 137,233 times
While the main hall of Union Station is very grand, the waiting/boarding area looks like a small rundown airport or a very large bus terminal. I like that 30th Street still keeps it's original function, unlike Union Station where they built on that hangar.

(Credit: http://www.soulofamerica.com)

Old 11-05-2019, 07:47 AM

354 posts, read 144,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
While the main hall of Union Station is very grand, the waiting/boarding area looks like a small rundown airport or a very large bus terminal. I like that 30th Street still keeps it's original function, unlike Union Station where they built on that hangar.

(Credit: http://www.soulofamerica.com)
30th Street Station doesn't sell beer though. Union Station's beer store is down by the food court, and Penn Station has beer all over the place. Brown bagging beer is one of my favorite parts of riding Amtrak.

I'm not familiar with what the new PA liquor law actually requires, but I wish it included an exemption for selling beer in Amtrak stations.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM

559 posts, read 405,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
30th Street Station doesn't sell beer though. Union Station's beer store is down by the food court, and Penn Station has beer all over the place. Brown bagging beer is one of my favorite parts of riding Amtrak.

I'm not familiar with what the new PA liquor law actually requires, but I wish it included an exemption for selling beer in Amtrak stations.
I'm with you on the brown-bagging part, but easily done at 30th St. as well. While you can't just walk up to a quick convenience store like you can in Penn Station, you can go to Bridgewater's Pub (just off the main hall) and get beer to go... Not quite as much variety as is in Penn, and it might take an extra 3-5 minutes to get a bartender and pay, but still at least 10-12 beer brand choices and quite easy to execute this.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:22 AM

12,718 posts, read 28,557,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I was talking to a colleague who relocated from Europe to the Philly area after his spouse first got a job in Maryland and he followed her across the pond. They have each rented an apartment close to their places of work such that every Thursday he drives down to Maryland and then drives back to PA on Sunday evening.

Rarely do they get to spend the weekend in PA as according to him "there is more to do in DC". I asked him how many times he's been to Center City to which he replied only once and it was that he needed to do something in the city.

I find his experience very similar that of many people in the US and it is not uncommon for relocating NJ residents to post that they've never been to Philly. Prior to moving here the closest I'd been to Philly was Gettysburg while I had been to DC 3 times for vacation and once for work.

Which begs me to wonder, why is there very little interest in Philly? For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to attract visitors.
Hey, here's the OP! Can we please wander back to it?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:24 PM

9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Hudson Yards is sterile and soulless. It is likely to attract a large measure of hyper-wealthy foreign investors who will spend little if any time actually living there. The beehive is much less impressive than in pictures and I’m unclear on the view it might offer, unless one wants to take in the massive train yard.

It is a non-organic swath of the west side one might expect to find in any sunbelt city. Let’s hope Schuylkill Yards takes a lesson on what not to do.
I forgot this, , when I mentioned Hudson Yards. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Dropped by the Pod hotel this weekend just to take a look. Sharp and inviting. The rooftop bar is fantastic, and the security guard told us it’s doing great business. Unlike the Attico at the Cambria, the bar offers sweeping views. Currently serving a few small plates with a Mexican leaning. I’d like to see them expand their menu with a few more items.
I don't drink so I don't even think about these places re bars like that. My loss apparently!

Old 11-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

Couldn't care less about any of that.

30th St Station is superior in just about every way. Although I still miss the Solari board. When Union Station had the restaurant right near the front entrance it enhanced that entrance to the station. Now it's just a big empty space.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM

588 posts, read 277,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Couldn't care less about any of that.

30th St Station is superior in just about every way. Although I still miss the Solari board. When Union Station had the restaurant right near the front entrance it enhanced that entrance to the station. Now it's just a big empty space.
Ate/drank there all the time. I used to work right next to Union Station on 1st street. Can't believe they closed that restaurant.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:40 PM

6,937 posts, read 8,008,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Hey, here's the OP! Can we please wander back to it?
I’m partly guilty. Even re-reading the OP, it seems poorly articulated. That’s probably why I got involved once the convo move to more interesting terrain.

I’ll let others try to work through the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or