U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 05:28 PM

4,262 posts, read 2,157,663 times

Advertisements

Sounds very snobby of you. I don't like many of the things on your list and have a better understanding of the city because I have lived in it most of my life unlike the transient snobs from center city. Just because a politician may have more so called class doesn't make him a better leader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
People who don't appreciate the things I mentioned. I didn't mean class as in a socioeconomic way. I meant like class as being 'classy'. you can be a classy mailman or you can be a classless president.

As a younger person, my experiences have been the people who are interested in music, art, restaurants, history, etc. tend to have a better opinion of the city versus people who don't care for those things and are just looking for more of a generic experience.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:47 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,898,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Sounds very snobby of you. I don't like many of the things on your list and have a better understanding of the city because I have lived in it most of my life unlike the transient snobs from center city. Just because a politician may have more so called class doesn't make him a better leader!
Alright then. Today I learned having an appreciation for culture makes you a snob. FYI also both sides of my family immigrated to this city generations ago so the transient comment is way off base.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 PM

559 posts, read 405,900 times
I dunno. I travel on Amtrak weekly, and if anything, I would say there's a feeling of familiar camaraderie between the northeasterners/mid-atlanticers. We can tell at a glance who the tourists are and the Bostonians, New Yorkers, Philadelphians, Baltimorians and DCers all kind of vibe together. I think we all know we come from similar places with similar experiences... I wouldn't put much stock in Philly getting judged by drive-bys on Amtrak. I think most people on Amtrak are familiar enough with all the cities they pass. That's been my experience anyway.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 PM

People that I meet who gauge people
Based on culture are snobs.
Having class is about how you carry yourself
And not about some overpriced restuaraunt
Stupid museum with so called "art" or whatever was on your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Alright then. Today I learned having an appreciation for culture makes you a snob. FYI also both sides of my family immigrated to this city generations ago so the transient comment is way off base.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But you also mentioned you lived in Burleith, which makes your overall perception of the city understandable albeit more than a bit inaccurate.
My DC experience did also bring me to every corner of the city, so I didn't isolate myself to a small segment (not that DC is all that massive to begin with). I'll readily acknowledge/experience that my opinion is one of many, just like any individual experiencing any city. And if I've written anything factually inaccurate, please feel free to point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you go and talk to old heads who grew up in the Bottom I'm sure you'll find a difference of opinion.

That's happening in every city, Philly included. It just hasn't happened to the same extent.
There's no doubt that gentrification in Philly is occurring with some displacement, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as pronounced as one finds in a city like DC, with an overwhelmingly AA, relatively poor native population that is often very much at odds with some of the wealthiest, privileged, entitled (largely white) folks in the continental US, and in many cases, the world. A very weird social dynamic in that city, indeed.

As a practical matter, for all of its high-end development of late, Philly remains pretty darn affordable to the standard, middle-class worker--certainly much moreso than DC.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM

9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Quote:
A bunch of people who live in Center City are natives. A native like you should know that. A native, I'm assuming you are one, should know that a lot of those people kept the city alive during the heavy de-industrialization period of the 70s/80s.
I credit them, in part, for having the foresight to remain otherwise this city would have hallowed out entirely the way Detroit did.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:23 AM

6,937 posts, read 8,008,605 times
Quote:
People who value cultural activities enrich the city. The money they spend on concerts, restaurants, shopping and visiting what you call “stupid museums” creates jobs and increased payrolls across the city. And the cycle re-enforces itself. Higher cultural consumption allows the cultural organizations to raise their quality, thereby attracting ever greater numbers of consumers, many of whom are tourists, who inject further money into the local economy. If that’s snobby, then I’m a snob.

As for your comment on transients, I am one who chose to move here. I was more of a rarity in 2011 than I am today, with many more following me in the ensuing years. Your comments don’t hurt me. Instead, I’m happy to report that the parochialism you express seems to be diminishing not only as more transients arrive, but as natives have come to realize what a great city we share. Transplants buy and improve property, growing the tax base, which allows the city to offer more services to all its residents.

For cities to grow, they can’t rely solely of the generational growth of their birthright natives. Cities need transplants to grow and thrive. Philly will only get better as transients import new ideas while working with together natives who have the insight into how the city functions and what smart growth looks like on a local level. It’s a good combo. I saw it in Houston, a dynamic city built upon the collaboration of natives and transplants like me who were viewed as fellow Houstonians, not as snobs.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 PM

That's wonderful of you however when you turn your nose up at people who don't patronize what you do that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
People who value cultural activities enrich the city. The money they spend on concerts, restaurants, shopping and visiting what you call “stupid museums” creates jobs and increased payrolls across the city. And the cycle re-enforces itself. Higher cultural consumption allows the cultural organizations to raise their quality, thereby attracting ever greater numbers of consumers, many of whom are tourists, who inject further money into the local economy. If that’s snobby, then I’m a snob.

As for your comment on transients, I am one who chose to move here. I was more of a rarity in 2011 than I am today, with many more following me in the ensuing years. Your comments don’t hurt me. Instead, I’m happy to report that the parochialism you express seems to be diminishing not only as more transients arrive, but as natives have come to realize what a great city we share. Transplants buy and improve property, growing the tax base, which allows the city to offer more services to all its residents.

For cities to grow, they can’t rely solely of the generational growth of their birthright natives. Cities need transplants to grow and thrive. Philly will only get better as transients import new ideas while working with together natives who have the insight into how the city functions and what smart growth looks like on a local level. It’s a good combo. I saw it in Houston, a dynamic city built upon the collaboration of natives and transplants like me who were viewed as fellow Houstonians, not as snobs.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM

6,937 posts, read 8,008,605 times
Quote:
That's wonderful of you however when you turn your nose up at people who don't patronize what you do that's a problem.
Wasn’t aware we were acquainted. Please remind me of how I do that, exactly.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:00 PM

9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Quote:
People that I meet who gauge people
Based on culture are snobs.
Having class is about how you carry yourself
And not about some overpriced restuaraunt
Stupid museum with so called "art" or whatever was on your list.
Most conservatives in this country always want to maintain "west civilization and culture". I definitely am in favor of supporting and preserving that culture since I'm part of that culture. So it seems curious that you are offended by parts of that culture since that very culture defines who you are as an ethnic European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or