U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2019, 09:11 PM
 
3,743 posts, read 1,802,781 times
Reputation: 2712

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
This is JLL's ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLL_(company) ) impression of Philadelphia : ( https://www.us.jll.com/en/trends-and...-a-global-city ) - Article Date: 11/12/2019
Now if you negadelphians (a term that typically fits many in this Forum) still feel you're living in a non- Big City, move to NY, or Chicago, or LA and let us know after a year or so how you enjoy living 30+% below your Philadelphia standard in a shoebox size apartment. Those who embrace this city, rather than being on a never ending search for a path Over the Rainbow, tend to be super satisfied with their environment.
Why are you including Chicago in this shoebox apt. scenario? I will leave it that. But if you want the Core or top surrounding neighborhoods? You might choose to do a roommate.

 
Old 11-17-2019, 07:30 AM
 
9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm referring to our wants, needs, and desires as human beings. You might feel like it's a lost cause, like many, and I can't blame you for that.

But once we get past the pettiness and superficiality of our race, religion, class and political views, we are far more alike than we are different. To me, it's fiction to think otherwise.
History should have proved to you that we , as a species, will never get beyond the things you list in your 2nd sentence. But no more OT for this thread.
 
Old 11-17-2019, 09:05 AM
 
559 posts, read 405,900 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
History should have proved to you that we , as a species, will never get beyond the things you list in your 2nd sentence. But no more OT for this thread.
Sigh... good grief.
 
Old 11-19-2019, 01:59 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
4,294 posts, read 3,680,278 times
Reputation: 2799
LMAO! The hilarity behind this DC bash fest of a thread, has me almost literally in laughing tears. I'm literally chuckling at post after post of people from LA, Chicago, and Boston in a Philly thread taking their time out to come into here and bash the nations capital. It's absolutely hilarious the inferiority complex that exists. Wow.

Anywho back to the reality that is DC in comparison to Philadelphia. The reason why DC sees more tourism is simple, it's better for tourism, the museums are better, and there are more hotels overall than Philadelphia. Philadelphia is better than DC for a lot of things, but tourism is not one of them, even though Philly still is known as the birthplace of the nation. Beyond museums it's closer to a draw, but I would say there are still more things to do (for tourism) in DC.

Also DC is not and never will be some Singapore like replication of Disneyworld they way I'm seeing it described in this thread. It may be 5th in the NE corridor on urban grit/ local culture etc. but the city does have areas of urban grit, and definitely has a local culture, predominantly African American. Personally I think a capital city of a country this size should be preserved and clean with a clean Metro system etc like DC.

BTW, To the poster who did post a picture of the Amtrak terminal at Union Station, basically in the back of the building, needing renovation. A multi million dollar renovation of this is now underway actually, and will double the passenger capacity in that Amtrak terminal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0a8_story.html


https://dc.curbed.com/2019/1/7/18172...transportation
 
Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
5,581 posts, read 2,725,252 times
Reputation: 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Also DC is not and never will be some Singapore like replication of Disneyworld they way I'm seeing it described in this thread. It may be 5th in the NE corridor on urban grit/ local culture etc. but the city does have areas of urban grit, and definitely has a local culture, predominantly African American. Personally I think a capital city of a country this size should be preserved and clean with a clean Metro system etc like DC.
My beef with Washington is that DC (the city, with its own local culture) gets swamped under the self-importance of Official Washington, whose denizens have insufferably outsized egos and senses of their own importance.

I enjoy visiting Washington and hope to get down there to see the Newseum before it closes. Yes, the Smithsonian is the best collection of museums in the country, and all of them are free; I hope to go see the African-American Museum also, since apparently you don't need timed tickets to get in on weekdays at this time of year.

But some of my feelings about the place also come from frequent visits to see a (now former) Washington journalist I'm still crazy about, though we're going to be BFFs rather than life partners; he had the same feelings about the culture he covered as I do.

Then there's also the cook/future chef I know whose father lives on a farm in NoVa. He lived up this way for about 15 years, and for about five of them, he was (as I only half-jokingly referred to him) one of the five white people who lived in Strawberry Mansion. He got fed up working for Amtrak, quit, moved back down to NoVa, and found a job in a DC charcuterie that he absolutely loves. He absolutely detests the city, however, and he grew up there.

In a sense, I'm glad Philly lost the national capital to Washington, for that culture might have overwhelmed the actual city (New York would have absorbed it and cut it down to size). But having the capital as part of a city not created to house it would IMO have had a salutary effect on the government, and while its economy has diversified since the 1980s, Washington remains in many respects a "company town" because it was created to house the government.

As for the Metro: Clean? Yes. But its safety record in carrying passengers is the worst of any US subway system, and the Takoma crash of 2009 revealed just how deep the rot was in the agency's safety and maintenance culture. It's spent the decade since playing catch-up, and maybe now it's not so bad, but I wonder whether the culture there has truly changed.
 
Old 11-19-2019, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
227 posts, read 69,817 times
Reputation: 155
With all due respect, DC is not everyone's cup of tea. It was built on a swamp and it remains a cesspool.
 
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,606 posts, read 7,687,898 times
Reputation: 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
My beef with Washington is that DC (the city, with its own local culture) gets swamped under the self-importance of Official Washington, whose denizens have insufferably outsized egos and senses of their own importance.
Well said. I've tried to throw DC a million bones by saying it's a gorgeous city with a ton to offer, but the social atmosphere is unbearable as an actual long-term resident.

I don't mean that disparagingly towards individual Washingtonians (heck, I've still got friends/family in the area); it's related to the social vibe of the city writ large that consumes otherwise very well-meaning and kind people.

It's no reason for anyone to get defensive. My opinion, obviously, can only speak for me. I know of others who adore life in DC, and I'm happy for them. But no city is meant to be for everyone, just as Philadelphia of course has its own set of detractors. Life goes on, and it's not personal.

One thing is clear, too: both Philly and DC continue to see success on the tourism, revitalization, growth and development front, so they both must be doing something right to appeal to enough people broadly speaking.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-19-2019 at 08:40 PM..
 
Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 AM
 
9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Anywho back to the reality that is DC in comparison to Philadelphia. The reason why DC sees more tourism is simple, it's better for tourism, the museums are better, and there are more hotels overall than Philadelphia. Philadelphia is better than DC for a lot of things, but tourism is not one of them, even though Philly still is known as the birthplace of the nation. Beyond museums it's closer to a draw, but I would say there are still more things to do (for tourism) in DC.
The museums are funded by you and me so it's a no brainer to visit them.

It really helps the mall DC museums that they are primarily funded by federal appropriations and are free. If they weren't free would they get the same attendance and attention?
 
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,937 posts, read 8,008,605 times
Reputation: 9723
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The museums are funded by you and me so it's a no brainer to visit them.

It really helps the mall DC museums that they are primarily funded by federal appropriations and are free. If they weren't free would they get the same attendance and attention?
The museums are great, but the whole area grows kinda sterile after a while. I appreciate the grandeur and perspective of the mall, monuments and museums, but actually walking the area is pretty boring. It’s filled with government offices with no retail or street life to speak of. It makes it kind of a drudge to walk block after block with nothing but cold, marble and often block-long windowless buildings to pass by. It starts to get boring after a few days. I prefer the intimacy of Philly’s pedestrian scene.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:00 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
4,294 posts, read 3,680,278 times
Reputation: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The museums are great, but the whole area grows kinda sterile after a while. I appreciate the grandeur and perspective of the mall, monuments and museums, but actually walking the area is pretty boring. It’s filled with government offices with no retail or street life to speak of. It makes it kind of a drudge to walk block after block with nothing but cold, marble and often block-long windowless buildings to pass by. It starts to get boring after a few days. I prefer the intimacy of Philly’s pedestrian scene.
Wanna know a secret?

DC locals don't even spend 1/10th of their time on the National Mall. We're in the actual "city" walking the neighborhoods, eating in Chinatown, shopping etc like Philadelphians do on Chestnut or Market or South St etc.

Also by comparison the Champ de Mars is equally as "boring" in the area surrounding the Effiel Tower. I certainly find the National Mall and it's surroundings in Washington light years more interesting than that section of Paris. Doesn't make either city boring overall.

Last edited by the resident09; 11-20-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top