U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I think your friend needs to get out more. I've traveled to DC a number of times beginning in the early 90's. While there's a good deal to like, it has become so taken over by the Federal government and the lobbyists that serve it that I have lost interest.

Philadelphia is real, organic, and it's where this nation was founded. The music scene, the arts, restaurants, and the history give up nothing to Washington in my opinion. And if you like sports it's not even close.
This, times 1,000%.

DC is certainly a beautiful city, chock full of museums, monuments, and a good amount of nightlife. But beneath the surface it's very culturally banal, with a suffocatingly workaholic, disgustingly egocentric and mundane bureaucratic culture that was honestly sickening to my soul after living in the area collectively for 5 years--no thanks. Much happier in the Boston area now, which I've found to have many Philly parallels.

Philly is as authentic and real as cities come. And it actually doesn't try to actively push out its poor as a revitalization strategy, unlike most other major cities.

If that's what it takes to become more "palatable" to white bread suburban tourists, who, frankly, are just uncomfortable with seeing people who are down on their luck or don't want to challenge their sense of middle-class complacency--I don't think the city gains anything by selling itself out and compromising its morals.

I'll also add that you'd have to be complete fool to not understand what Philly has to offer as a major city. There's no excuse in the Internet age; just comes down to intellectual laziness.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-25-2019 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-26-2019, 12:28 AM

4,542 posts, read 6,111,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Let me start by saying that I like Philly (read Philly area) much more than I thought I would when I first moved here and I have no plans to leave soon though this can change in the future. So with that, I hope it's clear that I have a disdain for Philly.

I think most of the people are missing my point, while it is true that the tourism numbers are on an upward trajectory, so is the case in every other big city. There is nothing unique about this. Travel and hospitality is growing worldwide.

What is in question is where Philly ranks compared to other cities. I think the same could be said of Phoenix, Dallas and Houston. Personally, I'm would not book a flight and hotel to tour these cities because they are just office blocks and residential areas. However, I don't think the same could be said of Philly.
The title of this thread is ridiculous. "Failed to live up to its expectation as a big city"? Whose expectation? Yours? Your friend's? Your friend is not a tourist, he lives there. But you're now talking about tourism. Does your friend even know what's going on in the city, or does the wife just plan out the weekend and, because he has no clue what the city can offer, he just follows along? Philadelphia IS a "big city" with all of the amenities you'd expect in a "big city", period.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:41 AM

590 posts, read 436,388 times
Quote:
That was a typo. I meant to say, I have NO disdain for Philly
You certainly do. That’s why you started this thread. The entire purpose of it is to stick your figurative finger in the eye of people who live in or are fond of the city.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:56 AM

9,947 posts, read 5,645,053 times
Quote:
I became a citizen long before I moved to Philly. Philadelphia's place in the history of the founding of America is not in question. This is about others coming to visit Philly for tourism purposes and it's attractiveness to those outside the city.
The primary reason a lot people come here is solely because if its historical significance. That is a huge driver of the tourism we have. That is they are connected.

When you became a citizen it means you agreed with the principles and policies written in our Constitution. You took an oath that swore you to that document. As I understand it it's a solemn occasion. So you bound yourself to the place that document was created whether you see it that way or not.

The Chinese nationals I see here in the historic district are not coming here to eat cheesesteaks.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying “Philadelphia? Isn’t that where Comcast is headquartered? I definitely need to visit it now!” If anything, the average non-Philadelphian has a negative opinion of Comcast.

Regardless of who owns NBC, tourists will still go to Rockefeller Center to visit it.
I find that ironic, tbh.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This, times 1,000%.

DC is certainly a beautiful city, chock full of museums, monuments, and a good amount of nightlife. But beneath the surface it's very culturally banal, with a suffocatingly workaholic, disgustingly egocentric and mundane bureaucratic culture that was honestly sickening to my soul after living in the area collectively for 5 years--no thanks. Much happier in the Boston area now, which I've found to have many Philly parallels.

Philly is as authentic and real as cities come. And it actually doesn't try to actively push out its poor as a revitalization strategy, unlike most other major cities.

If that's what it takes to become more "palatable" to white bread suburban tourists, who, frankly, are just uncomfortable with seeing people who are down on their luck or don't want to challenge their sense of middle-class complacency--I don't think the city gains anything by selling itself out and compromising its morals.

I'll also add that you'd have to be complete fool to not understand what Philly has to offer as a major city. There's no excuse in the Internet age; just comes down to intellectual laziness.
Our tax dollars are making the Mall museums in DC attractive and free so they better be most everything museums should be.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying “Philadelphia? Isn’t that where Comcast is headquartered? I definitely need to visit it now!” If anything, the average non-Philadelphian has a negative opinion of Comcast.

Regardless of who owns NBC, tourists will still go to Rockefeller Center to visit it.
Comcast is dynamite for the local economy. That was all I was saying.

I actually doubt a lot of Americans are even aware that Comcast owns NBCUniversal and helped make 30 Rock grand again.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:59 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,345,125 times
My experiences are different.

I have been in Manhattan for a while and know several people and couples that relocated to Philadelphia and absolutely love it.
I also have a lot of New York friends taking weekend trips for Philadelphia for a fun escape from New York.

Philadelphia is a much larger city than DC and there are still a lot of puzzle pieces falling into place in and around Center City, but I find the improvements to be fairly drastic citywide since the late 90s/early 00s. The new 4 Seasons for example is truely a world renowned example of where Philadelphia is at in 2019.

And I think you are generalizing a bit... I am a Philadelphia/New York who has no desire to go to DC, so theres that too.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,725,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

As for comparing Philly to NYC ..... isn't me. Its locals in boast and hopes to be seen as MOST LIKE NYC.
Which locals are these?

The Brooklynites who move here may make comparisons to NYC, but that's mainly because they want to congratulate themselves on how much they're saving on housing by moving here. (Best quote along these lines, from a "One of Us" profile in PhillyMag: "It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost!")

But most Philadelphians I know would rather commit suicide than have this city be seen as "like New York." We may take pride in the city's increased vibrancy and sophistication, but the sentiment expressed below is quite common:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
And NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER call Philly "New York's 6th Borough!"
You do know, do you not, that the woman who put that phrase into play in a New York Times article about New Yorkers moving here was a writer for Philadelphia Weekly?

I said at the time that her face was going up on dart boards around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

- But does the Comcast Center/Tower PHILLY .... have the NBC Peacock plastered on the building?
- Does it serve for any NBC filming, TV, syndicated talk shows, studios in it? If NOT WHY?
- is it mainly offices that are in its other ownership interest over NBC Universal?
1. Comcast's (also Comcast NBCUniversal) corporate logo incorporates the Peacock now. But no, other than the pillar outside the main Comcast Technology Center entrance on 18th Street, there are no visible logos of any kind on either Comcast tower.

2. AFAIK, no network-wide syndicated shows originate in Philadelphia now, though some did in the past, but when the new second Comcast tower (the Comcast Technology Center) opened, the NBC O&O TV station here, NBC10 (WCAU), moved its studios into the building, as did the (NBC-owned) Telemundo Spanish-language station, Telemundo 62 (WWSI). I was informed on a tour of the studios with the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists that NBC10 Philadelphia is the first all-IP-based TV station in the country (IOW, all signals within the station, to and from its transmitter, and between remote news vehicles and the station are transmitted via IP rather than satellite or microwave).

3. Comcast owns NBCUniversal lock, stock and barrel. The network remains headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York, however. With the exception of the Four Seasons Hotel on the Comcast Technology Center's top nine floors (and an absolutely spectacular restaurant on the hotel's - and the building's - top floor), both Comcast towers are fully occupied by Comcast offices and staff. Rumors occasionally circulate that the company is planning a third downtown office tower.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,802,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Which locals are these?

The Brooklynites who move here may make comparisons to NYC, but that's mainly because they want to congratulate themselves on how much they're saving on housing by moving here. (Best quote along these lines, from a "One of Us" profile in PhillyMag: "It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost!")

But most Philadelphians I know would rather commit suicide than have this city be seen as "like New York." We may take pride in the city's increased vibrancy and sophistication, but the sentiment expressed below is quite common:

You do know, do you not, that the woman who put that phrase into play in a New York Times article about New Yorkers moving here was a writer for Philadelphia Weekly?

I said at the time that her face was going up on dart boards around the city.

1. Comcast's (also Comcast NBCUniversal) corporate logo incorporates the Peacock now. But no, other than the pillar outside the main Comcast Technology Center entrance on 18th Street, there are no visible logos of any kind on either Comcast tower.

2. AFAIK, no network-wide syndicated shows originate in Philadelphia now, though some did in the past, but when the new second Comcast tower (the Comcast Technology Center) opened, the NBC O&O TV station here, NBC10 (WCAU), moved its studios into the building, as did the (NBC-owned) Telemundo Spanish-language station, Telemundo 62 (WWSI). I was informed on a tour of the studios with the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists that NBC10 Philadelphia is the first all-IP-based TV station in the country (IOW, all signals within the station, to and from its transmitter, and between remote news vehicles and the station are transmitted via IP rather than satellite or microwave).

3. Comcast owns NBCUniversal lock, stock and barrel. The network remains headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York, however. With the exception of the Four Seasons Hotel on the Comcast Technology Center's top nine floors (and an absolutely spectacular restaurant on the hotel's - and the building's - top floor), both Comcast towers are fully occupied by Comcast offices and staff. Rumors occasionally circulate that the company is planning a third downtown office tower.
Honestly, Philadelphians rather comity suicide then look to NYC to emulate aspects of ..... is waaaay overboard. Maybe if it was Chicago, or Kansas City.
I made sure I looked things up. But in reading this forum for some time. The ONLY CITY Philadelphians accept any comparisons to ..... is mighty NYC. Boston only for aspects of early American history..... and for DC it's a fagetaboutit.

You excluded my points on why Comcast doesn't bring TV filmed shows to Philly? Movies it has influence in, and highlight the NBC classic Peacock symbol?????

If you feel it isn't necessary for Comcast to do for Philly more? Besides skyscrapers and employment in its offices. Fine. I do have the internet to search what Comcast bought and owns ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or